Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

02 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
RodJustice wrote:
MattiasHG wrote:We're extremely happy and proud to announce Reason 9.5!

This free update to Reason 9 includes VST support and delay compensation. It'll be available at May 29th. Of course it wouldn't be Reason if we didn't do VST our way, so we've implemented this in a way I think you'll really like. Make sure you check out all the info and the video here:

https://www.propellerheads.se/reason-95

Let the forum madness ensue! :D

Hi,

Since installing 9.5 with VSTs I am getting severe crackling and slowdown when working on 4 ot 5 loops with just a few VSTs along the chain.

I have a HP Z820 with 16 Cores and 128GB Ram. (DUAL XEON CPU E5-2560 v2 @ 2.60 (16 Cores) 128GB RAM with Quadro K5000 Graphics Card).

I've tried changing buffer settings and also disabled Hyper threading as well as play with preferences.

All my drivers are up to date but still this NOISE.

Any help/advice etc would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Cheers
Rod!
I strongly suggest you submit an actual bug report through the proper channels (your account). You've got a 50/50 chance of your thread being seen by a Propllehrhead employee who can actually help.
Well the beta bug tracker is closed. So those of us who were beta testers can no longer file reports that way. Which is unfortunate since we also can no longer see what has been reported and the status of each report.

The options now are to submit them via email or post them to the beta forum (which is now public): viewforum.php?f=47

RodJustice

02 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
RodJustice wrote:
MattiasHG wrote:We're extremely happy and proud to announce Reason 9.5!

This free update to Reason 9 includes VST support and delay compensation. It'll be available at May 29th. Of course it wouldn't be Reason if we didn't do VST our way, so we've implemented this in a way I think you'll really like. Make sure you check out all the info and the video here:

https://www.propellerheads.se/reason-95

Let the forum madness ensue! :D

Hi,

Since installing 9.5 with VSTs I am getting severe crackling and slowdown when working on 4 ot 5 loops with just a few VSTs along the chain.

I have a HP Z820 with 16 Cores and 128GB Ram. (DUAL XEON CPU E5-2560 v2 @ 2.60 (16 Cores) 128GB RAM with Quadro K5000 Graphics Card).

I've tried changing buffer settings and also disabled Hyper threading as well as play with preferences.

All my drivers are up to date but still this NOISE.

Any help/advice etc would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Cheers
Rod!
I strongly suggest you submit an actual bug report through the proper channels (your account). You've got a 50/50 chance of your thread being seen by a Propllehrhead employee who can actually help.
Done!
BTW the final update build should read as 9.5d241 build 8,412 (Stable channel)?

FATCheese

03 Jun 2017

Just downloaded 9.5 and installed TyrellN6 and Tritik Krush.

I must say I'm impressed with how well it works! Never used VST's before. But now I just might be tempted in the future to buy 1 or 2! :)
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

ltbrunt00

04 Jun 2017

How VST is used in Reason is Freaking Awesome.

If anyone out there is like me and are broke with all these sales. I hope that people are buying VST's through the Prop shop.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

EnochLight

04 Jun 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:How VST is used in Reason is Freaking Awesome.

If anyone out there is like me and are broke with all these sales. I hope that people are buying VST's through the Prop shop.
I've spent north of a whopping $600 USD just in the past 2 months. Eh, you can't take it with you, right? ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Dabbler

05 Jun 2017

FATCheese wrote:Just downloaded 9.5 and installed TyrellN6 and Tritik Krush.

I must say I'm impressed with how well it works! Never used VST's before. But now I just might be tempted in the future to buy 1 or 2! :)
I have never used a VST either.

Where does one start?

The Waves REDD VST caught my eye but just because it's associated with Abbey Road.

If I got it - then what?

QVprod

05 Jun 2017

Dabbler wrote:

Where does one start?

The Waves REDD VST caught my eye but just because it's associated with Abbey Road.

If I got it - then what?
I'd advise against being too caught up in name associations. When buying anything, (RE, Refill, VST) look for stuff that fills gaps. Things that you can't easily already do in Reason. That's not to say that Waves REDD isn't a good plugin though.

EnochLight

05 Jun 2017

Dabbler wrote:I have never used a VST either.

Where does one start?
That's like asking us: what should I eat for lunch today?

We have no idea what your interests are, or what your productions require. Do you like creative effects? Synths? Large sample libraries? Drum machines? There a thousands of options. What are you looking for?

I could only recommend personal favorites, which may be completely different from what you want... :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Dabbler

06 Jun 2017

Well when I DL's 9.5 I thought there'd be a big flashing red sign saying "CLICK HERE FOR VST".

But Reason looks the same.

I have Ozone. How do I use that?

I need like total noob click help.

Nothing in help.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (10.26 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
Last edited by Dabbler on 06 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Gorgon

06 Jun 2017

Dabbler wrote:Well when I DL's 9.5 I thought there'd be a big flashing red sign saying "CLICK HERE FOR VST".

But Reason looks the same.

I have Ozone. How do I use that?

I need like total noob click help.
Point Reason to the path where Ozone resides (in preferences).

Drag Ozone in the rack.

Done.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Dabbler

06 Jun 2017

I did that.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (6.32 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
Drag Ozone in the Rack?

Drag from where?

Drag one of these?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.33 KiB) Viewed 3752 times

EnochLight

06 Jun 2017

Dabbler wrote:I did that.

Capture.PNG

Drag Ozone in the Rack?

Drag from where?

Drag one of these?

Capture.PNG
No - from Reason's browser... Under effects. You installed Ozone 64-bit, correct? Your path in that screen above is usually for 32-bit (x86 stuff)...

poshook

06 Jun 2017

Testing DEMO of Reason 9.5 with VST plugins and instruments and it definitely needs serious performance improvement. All native things work great but all VST plugins and instruments eat 2-3x more CPU in comparison to Ableton or Logic AU. I have 12-Core E5 Xeon but using VST in Reason feels like I have old 2-Core CPU. Moreover 15 years old Hyperthreading technology is not supported .... Oh my goodness. Is current Reason code that one from version 1?

EnochLight

06 Jun 2017

poshook wrote:Moreover 15 years old Hyperthreading technology is not supported ....
Incorrect. Reason utilizes Hyperthreading for almost everything - except rendering audio. Examples of Hyperthreading in Reason can be found in disc i/o, high quality stretch and resample, and graphics.

Also, if you feel like toying around with core threads, try this to force Reason to use more cores (both logical and physical):

viewtopic.php?p=336306#p336306

poshook

06 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
poshook wrote:Moreover 15 years old Hyperthreading technology is not supported ....
Incorrect. Reason utilizes Hyperthreading for almost everything - except rendering audio. Examples of Hyperthreading in Reason can be found in disc i/o, high quality stretch and resample, and graphics.

Also, if you feel like toying around with core threads, try this to force Reason to use more cores (both logical and physical):

viewtopic.php?p=336306#p336306
When I use that shortcut is there any notification that I changed something? Or just press and will see later?

EnochLight

06 Jun 2017

poshook wrote:When I use that shortcut is there any notification that I changed something? Or just press and will see later?
There's no notification at all. I'd try it cautiously (as in 1 key combination at a time)...

FATCheese

06 Jun 2017

Dabbler wrote:

Where does one start?

If I got it - then what?
EnochLight wrote:

Capture.PNG

Drag Ozone in the Rack?

Drag from where?

Drag one of these?

Capture.PNG
No - from Reason's browser... Under effects. You installed Ozone 64-bit, correct? Your path in that screen above is usually for 32-bit (x86 stuff)...

Hope the advice of Enochlight helped. If not.. let me know!
And I only installed those 2 free ones to see how VST works in Reason.
But now I have a 3rd... Overbridge. And I really scratching my head here...
Took me a while to figure out a few settings to make it work... But still I have no idea how to get 4 separate sounds into reason from my Analog4. :oops:
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

Dabbler

06 Jun 2017

Thanks for the help. I will have to sort this out later.

RodJustice

07 Jun 2017

So this is the reply I got which does not resolve anything.

"Hi,

Once thing you could try from Reasons perspective is to increase the number of audio worker threads and see if it makes any difference.
Reason uses quite a strict and safe multi-core implementation that does not sacrifice stability of the program, and this is why the DSP load can differ from other DAWs.

Users can manually override this by assigning more "audio worker" threads. This is done by using the following shortcuts in Reason:

Windows: Ctrl Shift Alt +
Windows: Ctrl Shift Alt -

Mac: Command Option Shift +
Mac: Command Option Shift -

This setting is not saved between sessions.

Changing this setting is a trade-off between different priorities, for example GUI performance, RAM-intensive operations, audio playback and so on—so try it and see if it improves your performance. However, we recommend using this command sparingly or simply keeping it on the original setting".

There's definitely something wrong with the 9.5 update. I've ran too many tests with to no avail yet other DAWS are able to play 20 plus tracks with 20 plus VSTs and ZERO issues.

Come on Props, FIXUP;)

bmarsh

08 Jun 2017

Yeah, hope they are working on the VST/CPU usage problem. I did a test and can get two hundred more instances/tracks of the 64-bit Daichi Synth1 (very efficient great free synth plugin) playing a simple midi file cleanly in Reaper vs. Reason. That's a *huge* difference. The manual overrides didn't help at all.

I got faith in the Propellerhead team - they'll work it out.

RodJustice wrote:So this is the reply I got which does not resolve anything.

"Hi,

Once thing you could try from Reasons perspective is to increase the number of audio worker threads and see if it makes any difference.
Reason uses quite a strict and safe multi-core implementation that does not sacrifice stability of the program, and this is why the DSP load can differ from other DAWs.

Users can manually override this by assigning more "audio worker" threads. This is done by using the following shortcuts in Reason:

Windows: Ctrl Shift Alt +
Windows: Ctrl Shift Alt -

Mac: Command Option Shift +
Mac: Command Option Shift -

This setting is not saved between sessions.

Changing this setting is a trade-off between different priorities, for example GUI performance, RAM-intensive operations, audio playback and so on—so try it and see if it improves your performance. However, we recommend using this command sparingly or simply keeping it on the original setting".

There's definitely something wrong with the 9.5 update. I've ran too many tests with to no avail yet other DAWS are able to play 20 plus tracks with 20 plus VSTs and ZERO issues.

Come on Props, FIXUP;)
"The end is built into the beginning" - Charlie Kaufman

QVprod

08 Jun 2017

Capture.PNG

Drag Ozone in the Rack?

Drag from where?

Drag one of these?

Capture.PNG
I don't mean to be the RTM guy so I'll suggest checking our VST FAQ thread viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7501397

But.... if you still need help, then the 9.5 operation manual will answer a lot of your questions https://www.propellerheads.se/support/d ... elp-files/

Oquasec

10 Jun 2017

Every module and function in reason has about 10-60 pages dedicated to each.
The manual is like hundreds of youtube videos rolled into a pdf file.

Reason 5 was a laughable 400 pages back in the day.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

bmarsh

12 Jun 2017

Working on a vocal track today and added the Slate Virtual Mix Rack plugin with Channel/Comp/EQ/VTC plugs and the Reason DSP meter shot up a bar. Added the Eiosis Deesser and it shot up another bar. I hate to keep comparing Reaper to Reason, but it's the only other DAW i use. Adding these would hardly make a dent in Reaper. The Slate plugins, although they have had a few buggy problems thru-out their history, are very efficient and allow for many instances in most DAWs. Hope the Props team is hammering it out working on this stuff and we see an update soon addressing the VST/DSP issues.
"The end is built into the beginning" - Charlie Kaufman

RodJustice

12 Jun 2017

bmarsh wrote:Working on a vocal track today and added the Slate Virtual Mix Rack plugin with Channel/Comp/EQ/VTC plugs and the Reason DSP meter shot up a bar. Added the Eiosis Deesser and it shot up another bar. I hate to keep comparing Reaper to Reason, but it's the only other DAW i use. Adding these would hardly make a dent in Reaper. The Slate plugins, although they have had a few buggy problems thru-out their history, are very efficient and allow for many instances in most DAWs. Hope the Props team is hammering it out working on this stuff and we see an update soon addressing the VST/DSP issues.

Many others are having similar issues.
Props so far have not said much.

jonheal

12 Jun 2017

Reason's code base has been around for more than 15 years. And while I'm sure they've been working on it for a while, there must be a multitude of issues to work through as a result of slicing open Reason's guts to graft in VST support.

It's pretty amazing it has happened at all. Give it a year or two to stabilize.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

• Information