Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
SA Studio

28 Apr 2017

zakalwe wrote:honestly, my audio driver crashes more than any plugins i have. the plugins that are bad are usually unusablely so and get deleted.
I wish more Reason user were as level-minded, amigo. I agree. Things will all wash out in a year from now when we all look back and notice how many hit productions were NOT lost over the year due to "VST crashing" :D :thumbs_up: :reason:
Last edited by SA Studio on 28 Apr 2017, edited 2 times in total.

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Chizmata wrote:
might be quite an adventurous idea but an optimized physical reason controller to completely control all rack synths and switch between them on the fly could have been a thing. a thousand ideas how to optimize the stock synths comes to mind. emulation of analogue sequencing in reason is non-existant except for some rudimentary step sequencers (not saying that its better than digital sequencing but it would stay true to reasons "feel"). they should have pushed way further into the direction where reason is already good at instead of using resources to catch up to other platforms strengths. i could actually also imagine reason as one huge plugin into another daw (while still able to be 100% functional on its own, but with the special workflow of analouge studios).

oh and i will not lose the fun of what i have, i just will not upgrade. the upgrade to 8 was already a mistake for me (except the rv7000 upgrade which was a cool thing to happen and there should be way more of this kind).
Hmm. I mean, it's a nice idea. Not sure how realistic it is though for PH to design, produce and support such a thing. Especially when there are already a large number of third party controllers out there with knobs and sliders and buttons. Even a PH branded one would have to be generic to an extent; not like we could have a controller per device! The only thing that would be nice is little LCD labels that tell you what controls what, like the Komplete S stuff. Maybe the Nektar Panoramas already do this? I've never used one so I don't know.

I guess it comes down to whether you think catching up to other DAWs is necessary. Let's put it this way; I'm talking to people now in 2017 who think that Reason still doesn't have audio tracks. This, I think, is the cost of them going their own way and disregarding the progress of other DAWs for so long. People view it as a totally separate thing. When I tell them that it has audio in now, and melodyne, and audio warp...they get SUPER interested. But when I tell them they can't use their favourite plugins, they invariably stick with Logic, or PT, or Cubase, or Ableton.

So I get that for hardcore analogue gear heads (and I include myself in that category to an extent!) then yeah, we want to see Reason go further and deeper into this territory. But it can only grow so much that way. Fact is, people are sticking to their DAWs. If this brings new customers, and more money, and more progress and updates then I say game on!

SA Studio

28 Apr 2017

Can't wait to make videos....

Wow.

DexStar

28 Apr 2017

MattiasHG wrote:That's a Reason native thing. Another reason why I've kept using a lot of REs during the internal beta. :)
Mattias, could you tell us how parameter automation works for VST? Does Reason recognize parameter changes and splits them in single automation lanes? Are they named or is there something like "cc20"?
Spectral Scan Software

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

SA Studio wrote:
zakalwe wrote:honestly, my audio driver crashes more than any plugins i have. the plugins that are bad are usually unusablely so and get deleted.
I wish more Reason user were as level-minded, amigo. I agree. Things will all wash out in a year from now when we all look back and notice how many hit productions were NOT lost over the year due to "VST crashing" :D :thumbs_up: :reason:
i actually stopped using reason a couple of years ago but I may now be coaxed to upgrade from V7 to 9 :puf_bigsmile:

Chizmata

28 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote: Hmm. I mean, it's a nice idea. Not sure how realistic it is though for PH to design, produce and support such a thing. Especially when there are already a large number of third party controllers out there with knobs and sliders and buttons. Even a PH branded one would have to be generic to an extent; not like we could have a controller per device! The only thing that would be nice is little LCD labels that tell you what controls what, like the Komplete S stuff. Maybe the Nektar Panoramas already do this? I've never used one so I don't know.

I guess it comes down to whether you think catching up to other DAWs is necessary. Let's put it this way; I'm talking to people now in 2017 who think that Reason still doesn't have audio tracks. This, I think, is the cost of them going their own way and disregarding the progress of other DAWs for so long. People view it as a totally separate thing. When I tell them that it has audio in now, and melodyne, and audio warp...they get SUPER interested. But when I tell them they can't use their favourite plugins, they invariably stick with Logic, or PT, or Cubase, or Ableton.

So I get that for hardcore analogue gear heads (and I include myself in that category to an extent!) then yeah, we want to see Reason go further and deeper into this territory. But it can only grow so much that way. Fact is, people are sticking to their DAWs. If this brings new customers, and more money, and more progress and updates then I say game on!
i can agree so much on many of that. fact is, we dont know how far a different approach would have taken props. maybe every pure electronic musician would have reason at home as his standard tool now, while recording guys still never heard of it. the risk when you widen your approach is to lose the core and not really attract the rest too much - and also lose quality in what initially made you big, while youre always behind trying to adapt to other DAWS strenghths.

quoting myself on the analogue thing:

i would have wished for something more dedicated than nektar panorama. lets say something that has enough, faders, knobs and buttons to theoretically completely control any existing reason device without switching modes or layouts. on top there could be a digital display naming each knobs and faders function depending to which device you switch.
Last edited by Chizmata on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Gulale

28 Apr 2017

why i'm i getting this for beta testing?
Authorization failed

Sorry, in order to join the beta testing you need to own and register a copy of Reason 9 or Reason Essentials 9.
Gulale aka Bereket

Gulale

28 Apr 2017

I wanna see how UAD performs
Gulale aka Bereket

-008'

28 Apr 2017

For free.

Point. 5.

what will 10 have?

Video support and Telepathic input processing or some shit I guess :mrgreen:
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Jonathan10

28 Apr 2017

How do i get the Beta. I entered my email but got no reply... Any help.. Thx
:refill:

plaamook

28 Apr 2017

-008' wrote:For free.

Point. 5.

what will 10 have?

Dunno but I really hope it's an overhauled sequencer. I'm so sick of that pig at this point.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Karim
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

MattiasHG wrote:We're extremely happy and proud to announce Reason 9.5!

This free update to Reason 9 includes VST support and delay compensation. It'll be available at May 29th. Of course it wouldn't be Reason if we didn't do VST our way, so we've implemented this in a way I think you'll really like. Make sure you check out all the info and the video here:

https://www.propellerheads.se/reason-95

Let the forum madness ensue! :D
Now it's right time to cut the bear. Vst is here! [emoji23] Image

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

QVprod

28 Apr 2017

plasticfractal wrote:1. Fewer developers will choose to make Rack Extensions. Why would any developer out there spend extra time and effort making an RE version of their synth now? There is no upside for them to do that now. That means the RE ecosystem may slow down (which equals less money for our overlords).
Seeing as the majority of RE developers don't make VSTs, there probably wont be much change aside from ports. Most of the larger VST developers had no plans for REs anyway. This gives you the best of both worlds. RE developers will continue to do what they do and users can use whatever plugin they want.

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

my mind is already buzzing with what i could do with this. a combinator with renoise redux and etch red for example.

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

Reaktor in a combinator

-008'

28 Apr 2017

plaamook wrote:
-008' wrote:For free.

Point. 5.

what will 10 have?

Dunno but I really hope it's an overhauled sequencer. I'm so sick of that pig at this point.
I'd appreciate further developing it but idk about an "overhaul"

Apps like bitwig FL and Ableton all have SEQs that make me want to tear off my own head and kick it out of a window. ;)
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

tbh there is a lot that could be done to make the sequencer and audio editing better without even going for the super advanced stuff like per clip automation.

but now it's going to have VST i just know i'm not going to be so eternally buttblasted about feature XY or Z not being in reason because i can just boot up something else and use THE EXACT SAME TOOLS. that's just beautiful.
Last edited by zakalwe on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

eXode

28 Apr 2017

Reason 10 (or X) seriously needs device zoom or some sort of HD resolutions for the rack. That should be #1 priority IMHO. A dark theme for the SSL mixer would be pretty darn sweet too. :)

LudvigC
Reason Studios

28 Apr 2017

DexStar wrote:
MattiasHG wrote:That's a Reason native thing. Another reason why I've kept using a lot of REs during the internal beta. :)
Mattias, could you tell us how parameter automation works for VST? Does Reason recognize parameter changes and splits them in single automation lanes? Are they named or is there something like "cc20"?
You can automate a VST parameter in three ways:

* Start recording and move the parameter.
* Click the Automate button in the VST window, and then click the parameter - this is the same as doing Edit Automation (Alt-click) of a parameter in an RE or native device: Creates a lane and a track if needed, shows sequencer.
* Select the parameter from the Automation popup above the track list.

Parameters are shown with the names we get from the VST. Sometimes exactly the same as on the panel sometimes like "FLT2FREQ"...

Parameter ranges are 0-100%.

/ LudvigC (designer)

-008'

28 Apr 2017

eXode wrote:Reason 10 (or X) seriously needs device zoom or some sort of HD resolutions for the rack. That should be #1 priority IMHO. A dark theme for the SSL mixer would be pretty darn sweet too. :)
Got my vote!

I'm running on a 40" HDTV now and everything looked a little funky at first but my eyes adjusted to it.

Dark mixer, Full HD and "zoom-y" devices would be tops.
Last edited by -008' on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Last Alternative

28 Apr 2017

Wouldn't it be funny if R10 was stripped like a car in a chop shop with 1 window, a few buttons and 1 fader?
Imagine: no more devices, RE's.
You open Reason, select genre, scroll thru loops, layer to track, click the mix/master button, export. DONE.
That way it's politically correct and everyone gets to be a "musician". LOL nah jk
R10 won't be out until next year probably. And it's a big number for companies so we're all gonna be shitting ourselves in drooling vegetable amazement for sure.
Last edited by Last Alternative on 28 Apr 2017, edited 2 times in total.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

friday

28 Apr 2017

My brain is burning so much, memory overflow, crc error and cpu overload... thanks props. But...

What about delay compensation for RE?
And if you use multiband and for every band other effects, RE ore VST, can Reason handle that?

Wuhhuuiahhhouhhnngttaahhhbuhhh yeaa...
Last edited by friday on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Chizmata

28 Apr 2017

Last Alternative wrote:Wouldn't it be funny if R10 was stripped like a car in a chop shop with 1 screen, a few buttons and 1 fader?
Imagine:
You open Reason, select genre, scroll thru loops, click the mix/master button, adjust volume, export. DONE.
That way it's politically correct and everyone gets to be a "musician". LOL nah jk
R10 won't be out until next year probably. And it's a big number for companies so we're all gonna be shitting ourselves in drooling vegetable amazement for sure.
leave out the "adjust volume" and im in

-008'

28 Apr 2017

Last Alternative wrote:Wouldn't it be funny if R10 was stripped like a car in a chop shop with 1 screen, a few buttons and 1 fader?
Imagine:
You open Reason, select genre, scroll thru loops, click the mix/master button, adjust volume, export. DONE.
It's funny that they give us the world, for free, in a point update and some of our minds (self included) go right to 10!

I blame society. Lol

• Information