Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Maxsu

28 Apr 2017

Awesome News!!!

I love to work with Rack Extensions, would love to see developement in both ways! It is a very interesting situation at the moment for RE developers. I hope PH thought this move out.

Nevermind, I am excited and happy :) looking forward to the beta testing. For me as an producer, its awesome!!!!

:cool: :re: :refillpacker: :essentials:

Creativemind

28 Apr 2017

Dante wrote:I think it would be a big mistake for Reason to have VST support. Just when new SDK and developers / investor come on board, theres a chance for RE to really take of, especially with the likes of Sound Spire coming on board, Reason has a chance to compete against the VST world why pollute that opportunity ?
I thought, when someone mentioned VST in Reason a while back, it won't be good for the RE format but we'll have to see. As for ReSpire, the first thing that entered my head actually was, ReSpire has been on the cards for about a year hasn't it? all that hard work Reveal Sound must have put into making it just before it's about to be released, and it's gonna be a bit pointless isn't it as you can just use the VST now?
Last edited by Creativemind on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EdGrip

28 Apr 2017

Chizmata wrote:the day reason stopped to be what it was intended to be and became "another DAW". im out. everything after R6 was pointless or simply wrong and this is the conclusion of the developement. there is no point in using reason over any other DAW anymore.
Bye then! :)

zumBeispiel

28 Apr 2017

As the Emi, not for Reason Essential, right?

tricepto

28 Apr 2017

Simply: Thank you Propellerheads! :)

Oquasec

28 Apr 2017

:lol: Bye chizmata, I need the wires or else I don't produce anymore.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EdGrip

28 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:
Dante wrote: I thought, when someone mentioned VST in Reason a while back, it won't be good for the RE format but we'll have to see. As for ReSpire, the first thing that entered my head actually was, ReSpire has been on the cards for about a year hasn't it? all that hard work Reveal Sound must have put into making it just before it's about to be released, and it's gonna be a bit pointless isn't it as you can just use the VST now?
I think big devs might have been aware of this development for a while, but I could be wrong.

Ottostrom

28 Apr 2017

I'm sure that if the very much loved global undo was still a thing with the vst integration it would have been mentioned in the video.
But despite that, do you guys think it still might happen?

shropshirelad

28 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:
stephensmattlee wrote:Wow, this all feels a bit surreal. finally Vst support in Reason!
Probably a dumb question but I'm assuming this is only support for the vst format? being on mac I'm guessing AU won't be compatible so I guess I'll have to reinstall a few of my plugins where I'd only installed the AU for them to use in Logic and didn't bother with installing the Vst files.

Amazing news though. Well done propellerheads
Don't AU's and VST usually come together (packaged together) when you buy them? so if you have an AU, you probably have the VST as well? or maybe you can download from the site you got the AU from as you've paid for both? sorry, just thought that's how it worked but could be wrong.
I'm assuming that 'VST' is being used as a general phrase for plugins - surely mac users won't have to go digging around for VST versions of their AU's? Hope not anyway - would be a hassle for me as I use Logic & Reason and never install the VST version of a plugin.

Oquasec

28 Apr 2017

Uhe zebra came to reason.
Producer/Programmer.

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

Ottostrom wrote:I'm sure that if the very much loved global undo was still a thing with the vst integration it would have been mentioned in the video.
Reaper and Renoise manage it. Studio One doesn't which is why I'm looking at this reason development with interest.

stp2015

28 Apr 2017

I also have mixed feelings, but the excitement is stronger :)

The implementation is exactly how I would have wanted it to be. CV support is there, and the VSTs can be inside of combinators (!).

Here are some things that I think are really important (I hope Matthias reads them ;-)
-I am curious to see how undo/redo works, hopefully they will have a solution for this
-I hope there will also be a good integration with remote. Ideally, I want to be able to add remote-map sections for each VST, and I also want things like patch/up down to work
-There should also really be a remotable for bringing the plugin in window, i.e. when I have selected the VST RE in the rack, I want to be able to use my midi controller to bring up/close the corresponding window

In general, I think this is really good. We are not forced to use VSTs, but we can. RE development might slow down, but it might also speed up if this increases the size if the user base enough! My first reason VST will be synth1 :) Yay :)

NekujaK

28 Apr 2017

Incredible news!! Finally I can have all my Toontrack products and Waves plugins integrated in Reason :D Unbelievable!!

It'll be interesting to see how this affects future RE development...
  • Will we see fewer dedicated RE synths being developed in the future?
    Does it make sense to continue making new RE compressors, EQs, and reverbs (RP-EQ notwithstanding)?
    Will the Props now start developing VSTs?
    Will select third-party VSTs be sold in the Prop Shop?
    Will developers who have both VST and RE versions of plugins continue to support both, or will they simply encourage Reason users to switch to VST?
Interesting times. Reason is now poised to expand its user base in a significant way.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Ottostrom

28 Apr 2017

zakalwe wrote:
Ottostrom wrote:I'm sure that if the very much loved global undo was still a thing with the vst integration it would have been mentioned in the video.
Reaper and Renoise manage it. Studio One doesn't which is why I'm looking at this reason development with interest.
It would make sense if PH made that a big priority since it's been a part of Reason since day 1.
Gonna keep my hopes up.

Chizmata

28 Apr 2017

EdGrip wrote: Bye then! :)
Oquasec wrote::lol: Bye chizmata, I need the wires or else I don't produce anymore.
yeah bye. have fun with your DAW for 3 year olds. you probably need it.
Last edited by Chizmata on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Yeah exactly - if all those people who have been interested in Reason (but not interested enough to drop thousands on racks) come on over, that's a massive new customer base for rack developers. So I think this will provide greater incentive for developers to push what's possible in Reason knowing the customers are there now.

There needs to be a new word for the level of impatience I'm experiencing right now.
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 28 Apr 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Creativemind

28 Apr 2017

decibel wrote:i wonder if this set of doors swing both ways and that somehow there is going to be an option soon that allows RE's to be opened in other daws ;)
Well you can't directly open an Re in other daw's but you could use any Re already can't you via rewire?
Last edited by Creativemind on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Ostermilk

28 Apr 2017

I think people are the greatest fun.

I feel a song coming on...

jfrichards

28 Apr 2017

Recording Reason guitar tracks with Amplitube, Scuffham, etc. right alongside Kuassa tracks is such a wonderful concept. It's like getting a law legalizing polyamory. Dogs and cats sleeping together! (Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters).

Oquasec

28 Apr 2017

I'm going to be hit with the producing bug again like I was when 8 came out 3 years ago, and fl studio 9 before that.

That by itself, is a huge reason to upgrade. SOMEONE MAKE A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT HOW THAT THING WAS CREATED.
Producer/Programmer.

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Chizmata wrote:the day reason stopped to be what it was intended to be and became "another DAW". im out. everything after R6 was pointless or simply wrong and this is the conclusion of the developement. there is no point in using reason over any other DAW anymore.
What do you think they should've focused on instead of this? I mean Reason as it is now is pretty much perfect for me. It has been for a while tbh. So I'm just interested to know what you think Reason should be, if not what it is right now? This seems like such a great time for the platform. It'd be a shame to abandon it because of something like optional VSTs!

stephensmattlee

28 Apr 2017

shropshirelad wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
stephensmattlee wrote:Wow, this all feels a bit surreal. finally Vst support in Reason!
Probably a dumb question but I'm assuming this is only support for the vst format? being on mac I'm guessing AU won't be compatible so I guess I'll have to reinstall a few of my plugins where I'd only installed the AU for them to use in Logic and didn't bother with installing the Vst files.

Amazing news though. Well done propellerheads
Don't AU's and VST usually come together (packaged together) when you buy them? so if you have an AU, you probably have the VST as well? or maybe you can download from the site you got the AU from as you've paid for both? sorry, just thought that's how it worked but could be wrong.
I'm assuming that 'VST' is being used as a general phrase for plugins - surely mac users won't have to go digging around for VST versions of their AU's? Hope not anyway - would be a hassle for me as I use Logic & Reason and never install the VST version of a plugin.
That's exactly the same for me, using logic alongside reason I neglected to bother installing the vst versions when I installed the au's.
It's not the end of the world, will just mean I'll have to dig out the installers and reinstall the vst's for the plugins I have installed.
Unless like you say maybe the Au's will work and props are using 'vst' as an umbrella term

Maxsu

28 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
What do you think they should've focused on instead of this? I mean Reason as it is now is pretty much perfect for me. It has been for a while tbh. So I'm just interested to know what you think Reason should be, if not what it is right now? This seems like such a great time for the platform. It'd be a shame to abandon it because of something like optional VSTs!
Reason is one of a few programs who never crashed! My only really concern is the stability on this but I have full trust in PH. I hope it will push RE´s with new costumers and VST Support in Reason!

Stay positive but critiscm is always important so let us watch how it will be for the future use.

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

VST is the biggest deal since RE came out. the average reason user is going to be blown away with what they can access, especially since they can now benefit from a massive amount of cool free synths and effects to supplement the stock racks, as well as the big beast synths and samplers.

i have no doubt this will be done as well as they did MIDI and hopefully things like drag and drop and global undo will be there from the start.

Oquasec

28 Apr 2017

dude they made a second emi module that gives all plugins that exists cv inputs and outputs at the back.
They finished reason. That's exactly what I think I saw. So kontakt gettin put back on my machine.
Producer/Programmer.

• Information