Interview: We met Propellerhead at Superbooth

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
teddymcw

25 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
<3 And that is good enough for me man. I champion Reason absolutely everywhere I go, and not *just* because I'm a rabid fanboy :lol: but it's genuinely my favourite creative tool right now. So I really appreciate the response and reassurance. Very much looking forward to what's next!
Ya that personal reassurance is like breathing fresh air after reading about the opinions of uncertainty.

I did love that Reason's progressions with the mobile apps and then the players, pitch correct and many others to make it more accessible to diff types and diff markets. I don't know the music software industry quite well enough to know exactly where I would take props beyond the improvements we've been asking for quite some time, including making stock devices that can easily give you the over compressed sound in industry. Reason will always be unique I hope they will be able to steal and incorporate some other technologies other daws have in their core such as they did with pitch correct.

The collab music efforts angle is really cool in theory but is it in practice quite yet? And is there real money in it besides getting ppl to buy more of the core product?

Anyways, I feel there's a lot of sweet low hanging fruit at props and even 3 quality more devs on the core product, esp sdk stuff to expand 3rd party dev power, would make a very tangible difference. Even 3!

Biolumin3sc3nt

25 Apr 2017

Thanx for chiming in Mattias! And also Reasontalk (Olivier) for the Interview. Would love to meet the Props Crew at some point in life!

Gorgon

25 Apr 2017

MattiasHG wrote: The forum was closed for a bunch of reasons, technical and others. But we're always checking ReasonTalk, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for feedback. I was super serious when I said we want to hear from you!
I call bullshit. Technical? Yeah that's quite easy. Throw in some programming mumbo jumbo and nobody knows what's going on. But it doesn't work like that, any forum can be migrated into another forum. So if it's some sort of security issue, it can be fixed, especially by a talented bunch of programmers that Propellerhead is (or at least, part of it).

The only thing you guys had to do was assign some moderators from the community, like what's been done here. But no, you decided to burn the library of Alexandria instead. Well that's fine and everything, but actually denying it from waybackmachine too? That's evil. That's pure bookburning evil.

Besides, you don't listen. Small simple to fix things are not being fixed. Not for years. Not now, not ever. Cutting and pasting in the sample editor? Nope. It was admitted that it was a glaring oversight, but never fixed. Ever. The issue with Kong and the routing integrated in the loading of the kit, without being able to lock them? Has been adressed a few times here as well. Nobody understands it. You guys know it, but you won't fix it. Brush tool? Nope. Been in Cubase since what, 1996? Not available in Reason.

So yeah, good luck with that.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Data_Shrine

25 Apr 2017

I think it's been pretty clear for a while that ppl want the mixer to fit with the dark theme. I don't see why PH would not be aware of it.

Also, I really hope that the Reason graphics will get updated soon. It's really hard to see/use the rack for many ppl. For exemple, my friend passed on the recent 199$ sale upgrade from Essentials because everything is ultra tiny on his monitor and unreadable. I mean it's obvious that it needs to be updated. If its not in Reason 10, a lot of ppl are not gonna be super thrilled.

There are other things, like the mclass never being updated so far, for exemple the EQ with its high freq spike, the response we got is that it would mess up older songs if changed. But what about a legacy switch on the back of the device ? Sometimes, it sounds like PH is just looking for reasons not to do things. I understand its more difficult than just that but I feel strongly that stock devices should be updated over time.

So good job for updating the RV7000 and Redrum in R8, please don't stop there.

Gorgon

25 Apr 2017

Data_Shrine wrote:I think it's been pretty clear for a while that ppl want the mixer to fit with the dark theme. I don't see why PH would not be aware of it.

Also, I really hope that the Reason graphics will get updated soon. It's really hard to see/use the rack for many ppl. For exemple, my friend passed on the recent 199$ sale upgrade from Essentials because everything is ultra tiny on his monitor and unreadable. I mean it's obvious that it needs to be updated. If its not in Reason 10, a lot of ppl are not gonna be super thrilled.

There are other things, like the mclass never being updated so far, for exemple the EQ with its high freq spike, the response we got is that it would mess up older songs if changed. But what about a legacy switch on the back of the device ? Sometimes, it sounds like PH is just looking for reasons not to do things. I understand its more difficult than just that but I feel strongly that stock devices should be updated over time.

So good job for updating the RV7000 and Redrum in R8, please don't stop there.
It would be damn easy to provide a legacy and a new device for every updated device.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Oquasec

25 Apr 2017

I feel like propellerhead made a better choice creating rack extensions over changing previous modules up too often.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Data_Shrine

25 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:I feel like propellerhead made a better choice creating rack extensions over changing previous modules up too often.
I have to disagree, everytime a new version comes up they unleash a new Re or 2 that they expect us to buy on top of the update. To "complete" the update so to speak. That's how it feels to me. If we had Re before, alligator or neptune would be paid, maybe added-in for free in R10 or something... it blows.

Give us 2x oversampling options for the old synths + mclass at least.. seriously, just do something.

Oquasec

25 Apr 2017

Same could be said about every version after 7.
I agree with more options like that instead of the regular way to achieve anti aliased sounds.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

ThereatGrumbleMorn

26 Apr 2017

A more flexible approach to updates would be nice (if you cannot include everything), since the inception of rack extensions. If you get the update, you get a voucher for your next rack extension purchase to "complete" your update. So everybody can pick and choose a flavor of their personal update. A "complete your bundle" feature in the shop would be nice aswell, just like Steam has it for game bundles.

And, in the sequencer, does zoom by mousewheel work? I don't think so, that would be such a nobrainer to me (Bitwig has it and omg is it a handy little feature). I keep dragging the zoom handles back and forth all the time. It just disrupts the workflow.

Loque

26 Apr 2017

ThereatGrumbleMorn wrote: And, in the sequencer, does zoom by mousewheel work? I don't think so, that would be such a nobrainer to me (Bitwig has it and omg is it a handy little feature). I keep dragging the zoom handles back and forth all the time. It just disrupts the workflow.
On windows Ctrl+Mousewheel to zoom? Shift+Mousewheel to move left and right? Press "z" to zoom area?
Reason12, Win10

Gulale

26 Apr 2017

MattiasHG wrote:. I was super serious when I said we want to hear from you!
:lol: :shock: Since when????
Gulale aka Bereket

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

26 Apr 2017

Gulale wrote:
Since always! I read ReasonTalk daily and any feedback and/or feature requests that come to Stefan on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram he sends directly to me. I also monitor feedback@propellerheads.se and read every single e-mail. :)

chimp_spanner

26 Apr 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
Gulale wrote:
Since always! I read ReasonTalk daily and any feedback and/or feature requests that come to Stefan on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram he sends directly to me. I also monitor feedback@propellerheads.se and read every single e-mail. :)
Well then allow me to send my Reason 10 manifesto :lol:

Nah kidding. My requested features list is small. I will email though! As will many others here in sure!

SA Studio

26 Apr 2017

I gotta applaud Gorgon for having the stones to maintain his own opinion.

We all regularly field a "I can't contact Propellerhead" thread here a few times a month. If I don't see em here, I see those on Facebook all the time. And I regularly answer them. The amount of Customer Service and Technical support provided by the average Reasontalk user DEFINITELY rivals the speed and efficiency of Props' own "support" department, so....let's not have confusion there.

So yes, it's surprising to hear anyone's listening. (And also refreshing in light of current news about being bought out)

How about "Changes made in the Sequencer should reflect in the Rack and Mixer" - That's an easy fix I don't think has ever happened.

"Crossfading audio clips" = DAWs in 1998 had crossfading. Also incredibly easy to do.

How about, since we're 5 years into RE's, getting the SDK on level field with VST so now products will all be bundled with VST, AU, RTAS, as well as RE? To say that's not possible 5 years in says far more about the mission statement of the platform and marketing endeavors behind it. It feels like progress with RE's is a planned trickle. The advances in the VST world are intense. Light speed in comparison.

With all due respect, there's a very long list.

joeyluck

26 Apr 2017

SA Studio wrote:How about "Changes made in the Sequencer should reflect in the Rack and Mixer" - That's an easy fix I don't think has ever happened.

ThereatGrumbleMorn

27 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:
ThereatGrumbleMorn wrote: And, in the sequencer, does zoom by mousewheel work? I don't think so, that would be such a nobrainer to me (Bitwig has it and omg is it a handy little feature). I keep dragging the zoom handles back and forth all the time. It just disrupts the workflow.
On windows Ctrl+Mousewheel to zoom? Shift+Mousewheel to move left and right? Press "z" to zoom area?
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but Ctrl+Mousewheel zooms level of detail of parameter values and wave forms (y-axis) not time granulation (x-axis). Exactly the opposite of what I need. In Bitwig, by moving the mousewheel (no extra keypress necessary), time focus on the sequencer remains at the mouse cursor position, while time granulation is zoomed in or out; very intuitive.

Kenni
Site Admin

27 Apr 2017

Ctrl mousewheel, and ctrl shift mousewheel.

That's at least what the manual says.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Loque

27 Apr 2017

ThereatGrumbleMorn wrote:
Loque wrote:
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but Ctrl+Mousewheel zooms level of detail of parameter values and wave forms (y-axis) not time granulation (x-axis). Exactly the opposite of what I need. In Bitwig, by moving the mousewheel (no extra keypress necessary), time focus on the sequencer remains at the mouse cursor position, while time granulation is zoomed in or out; very intuitive.
Ctrl+shift+mousewheel zooms x axis.
Reason12, Win10

chimp_spanner

27 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:
SA Studio wrote:How about "Changes made in the Sequencer should reflect in the Rack and Mixer" - That's an easy fix I don't think has ever happened.
Yeah I've requested this as a feature; an option you can turn on where rack, arranger and mixer views are synchronised. Move a device or track in one place, it moves in all the others. It would be hugely beneficial. Also maybe some additional sorting/organisational options like "Move all to new column" or "Create column for each device". Reason is so visual, it'd be cool to have more control over the layout.

ThereatGrumbleMorn

28 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:
ThereatGrumbleMorn wrote: Maybe I am doing something wrong, blah blah blah blah ...
Who knew? Well, I guess everybody except myself. However, still makes me wonder why just moving the mousewheel by itself does not seem to have a binding in the sequencer. Seems like an unnecessary extra key-combination. Well, gotta admit, at least it's there.

Loque

28 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:
ThereatGrumbleMorn wrote: Maybe I am doing something wrong, blah blah blah blah ...
Who knew? Well, I guess everybody except myself. However, still makes me wonder why just moving the mousewheel by itself does not seem to have a binding in the sequencer. Seems like an unnecessary extra key-combination. Well, gotta admit, at least it's there.
Mousewheel scrolls in the view. Actually this is standard behavior in all windows applications, that support mousewheel views. Some views also support scrolling by pressing middle mouse (scrollwheel button), which enters scroll view mode.
Reason12, Win10

ThereatGrumbleMorn

28 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:
Loque wrote:
Mousewheel scrolls in the view. Actually this is standard behavior in all windows applications, that support mousewheel views. Some views also support scrolling by pressing middle mouse (scrollwheel button), which enters scroll view mode.
Or, you know, the cursor could just be context sensitive, as it has been in other applications for decades, just saying. Hover on a clip, mousewheel zooms. It's really not that hard if you think a tiny wee bit about it, for gods sake. It's not a secret that the reason sequence is a tad bit antiquated. But hey, at least we got vst now.

ejanuska

28 Apr 2017

Wonder why they didn't announce VST support at superbooth?

centomila

29 Apr 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
Gulale wrote:

We really appreciate your effort and involving in the community, but i think that today there are better ways to track and prioritize user request than exploring forums or social (wich maybe are better to involve the artist side of the community).

So my "request" is "another way to make request" :p

I've been a microsoft insider preview for Windows 10. It was a pleasure being involved and see feature request been slowly accepted and implemented. Or just click "ME TOO!". It feels totally different from a simple "Like" on Facebook and has a specific meaning.

Have you ever take on consideration something like CenterCode (already used by the Ableton Team), UserVoice or other user feedback platforms?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

29 Apr 2017

centomila wrote:
MattiasHG wrote:We really appreciate your effort and involving in the community, but i think that today there are better ways to track and prioritize user request than exploring forums or social (wich maybe are better to involve the artist side of the community).

Have you ever take on consideration something like CenterCode (already used by the Ableton Team), UserVoice or other user feedback platforms?
We have tons of sources for feedback and information. We do large scale user research, surveys, analytics. We sit with music makers in different situations and watch them make music to see where they get stuck or what they love. We read forums, Twitter, Facebook, support e-mails, FugBugz etc. We do even more than that too.

In terms of platforms, we might use something in the future but we already have a lot of sources that have proven very valuable and valid. :)

• Information