Interview: We met Propellerhead at Superbooth

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ReasonTalk

24 Apr 2017

From the 20th to 22nd of April 2017, Superbooth 17 was being held in Berlin. After a great success in its first year of 2016, this year the wonderful people from Schneidersladen in Berlin, who specialize in selling analog modular synthesizers, moved close to 170 exhibitors (mostly modular developers) into the FEZ building on the Berliner Wulheide.
Knowing that the even the Propellerheads would be there I simply couldn’t resist a couple of days of modular madness. And that is exactly what it turned out to be.

https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/04/inte ... uperbooth/

Loque

24 Apr 2017

Interesting interview. PH doesn't told a lot, as usual... Looks like they invest more in mobile stuff. We'll, not my choice. I can't imagine to create music waiting for the train...
Reason12, Win10

ejanuska

24 Apr 2017

Well, I read the article/watched videos and my first retort is that if PH wanted to "hear from us" maybe they should have kept the forum open.
They had nothing new to show or announce. Just seems like Mattias wanted to go on a boondoggle and make Reason seem hip with Eurorack.

The mobile talk app doesn't interest me one bit. I'm sure the investors are lapping it up.

moneykube

24 Apr 2017

ejanuska wrote:Well, I read the article/watched videos and my first retort is that if PH wanted to "hear from us" maybe they should have kept the forum open.
They had nothing new to show or announce. Just seems like Mattias wanted to go on a boondoggle and make Reason seem hip with Eurorack.

The mobile talk app doesn't interest me one bit. I'm sure the investors are lapping it up.
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

dioxide

24 Apr 2017

I always thought Eurorack input into Reason would work better. If you could patch LFO and CV control from Eurorack modules to control Reason's synths that would be great and give a good tactile interface. You'd need a multichannel soundcard for Reason audio input though.

ejanuska

24 Apr 2017

If PH released some eurorack hardware that interfaced with Reason in the rack that would be something to talk about. I would love to drag a CV cable to a jack in the rack and have it output in the hardware. Both directions would be awesome, over MIDI or whatever, just make it work.

I personally would rather see that over any lame mobile offerings.

Also, who really cares about themes so much to bore Mattias with a question about it. Come on.
With all the topics worthy of questions why ask about themes on the mixer?

buddard
RE Developer

24 Apr 2017

For bidirectional audio/CV between Reason and Eurorack, this interface is pretty handy: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8.html

8 outputs and 4 inputs in a small module (8HP) and a single USB cable, can be expanded with additional modules via optical cables. On Mac it's class compliant and easy to include in an aggregate device, and they also recently released Windows drivers.

ejanuska

24 Apr 2017

buddard wrote:For bidirectional audio/CV between Reason and Eurorack, this interface is pretty handy: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8.html

8 outputs and 4 inputs in a small module (8HP) and a single USB cable, can be expanded with additional modules via optical cables. On Mac it's class compliant and easy to include in an aggregate device, and they also recently released Windows drivers.
I'm aware of that gear, its cool and all. I want to see something like it in the Reason Rack. Kind of like the grid64G Gate Sequencer but for CV in the Reason rack coming from, and and going to, the real world. Just a dream.

Can you have more then one External Midi Instrument RE accessing the same ES module simultaneously?

Kenni
Site Admin

24 Apr 2017

ejanuska wrote:If PH released some eurorack hardware that interfaced with Reason in the rack that would be something to talk about. I would love to drag a CV cable to a jack in the rack and have it output in the hardware. Both directions would be awesome, over MIDI or whatever, just make it work.

I personally would rather see that over any lame mobile offerings.

Also, who really cares about themes so much to bore Mattias with a question about it. Come on.
With all the topics worthy of questions why ask about themes on the mixer?
Hmm, I'd say your immediate attitude is a tad bit negative in general, but duely noted though!

I personally don't see much use for a mobile integration but the truth is that a lot of performing artists are using all sorts of devices to interface with Reason. There also seems to be a fair amount of secret stuff hidden in those replies, so I guess we'll see what happens. Soon™
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Gorgon

24 Apr 2017

We want to hear everything you’d want in a mobile product from us.
How about bringing back Rebirth for iPhone.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

24 Apr 2017

ejanuska wrote:Well, I read the article/watched videos and my first retort is that if PH wanted to "hear from us" maybe they should have kept the forum open.
Hear hear! Hypocrite much?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

buddard
RE Developer

24 Apr 2017

ejanuska wrote:
buddard wrote:For bidirectional audio/CV between Reason and Eurorack, this interface is pretty handy: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8.html

I'm aware of that gear, its cool and all. I want to see something like it in the Reason Rack. Kind of like the grid64G Gate Sequencer but for CV in the Reason rack coming from, and and going to, the real world. Just a dream.

Can you have more then one External Midi Instrument RE accessing the same ES module simultaneously?
The ES modules don't use MIDI, so no EMIs are involved. They appear as extra audio inputs/outputs, so you can freely route both CV or audio between Reason and the modular.

The Silent Way voice controller RE will convert Reason gate/CV (or MIDI notes from a sequencer track or player!) to audio signals you route to your ES modules.

This is by far the most flexible way to interface with your modular, although it sometimes requires a little more work than using MIDI.

dioxide

24 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:How about bringing back Rebirth for iPhone.
Exactly how tiny are your fingers?

dioxide

24 Apr 2017

This looks cool. I had an Expert Sleepers module but never got it working as it was lightpipe and I couldn't find an affordable soundcard. Built in USB was exactly what I needed instead.

Gorgon

24 Apr 2017

dioxide wrote:
Exactly how large is my iPhone?

buddard
RE Developer

24 Apr 2017

dioxide wrote:
This looks cool. I had an Expert Sleepers module but never got it working as it was lightpipe and I couldn't find an affordable soundcard. Built in USB was exactly what I needed instead.
Yeah, when I started building my modular back in 2013 I wasn't sure whether to go for MIDI or ES. The ES voice controller RE had not been released at that time, and I also had an audio interface without lightpipe, so I decided to take the MIDI route and got a Kenton Modular Solo. It works great, but sometimes it's a bit limited since some outputs are locked to note, gate and clock CV, and you can't use them as spare audio channels, obviously.

I was considering switching out my audio interface and getting the ES-3/ES-6 combo, but laziness/cost held me back. When ES-8 came out it was a no-brainer for me! And of course I can run it in parallel with the Kenton too if I want.

Too bad I don't have much time for making music since becoming a developer. :lol:

dioxide

24 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:
dioxide wrote:
Exactly how large is my iPhone?
Ha ha :) Good point, iPhones are bigger than they used to be!

chimp_spanner

24 Apr 2017

Hmm, tight lipped as ever! I mean, I'm still mostly positive about the verdane thing and I'm excited to see what they come up with on mobile/tablet. It's obviously gonna be some kinda Reason, and as a keen iOS music maker that's cool. But Reason for desktop is where it's at for me. And I think at this point it'd be nice to kinda reassure us - their core users - that it's still priority, and that there's more to come, and that our requests are being heard. I would really hate for them to focus all their energy on Reason Lite for iOS while the big boy version is sat here forever needing just a few small tweaks and features to inch it closer to perfection.

QVprod

24 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote: And I think at this point it'd be nice to kinda reassure us - their core users - that it's still priority, and that there's more to come, and that our requests are being heard. I would really hate for them to focus all their energy on Reason Lite for iOS while the big boy version is sat here forever needing just a few small tweaks and features to inch it closer to perfection.
I wouldn't be worried about that. Anything they do on mobile would probably point people back to Reason just like Thor and the Allihoopa apps sort of do. I don't think the iOS music market is anywhere near big enough for any company to actually abandon their computer base users.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

25 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:
The forum was closed for a bunch of reasons, technical and others. But we're always checking ReasonTalk, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for feedback. I was super serious when I said we want to hear from you!
chimp_spanner wrote:Hmm, tight lipped as ever! I mean, I'm still mostly positive about the verdane thing and I'm excited to see what they come up with on mobile/tablet. It's obviously gonna be some kinda Reason, and as a keen iOS music maker that's cool. But Reason for desktop is where it's at for me. And I think at this point it'd be nice to kinda reassure us - their core users - that it's still priority, and that there's more to come, and that our requests are being heard. I would really hate for them to focus all their energy on Reason Lite for iOS while the big boy version is sat here forever needing just a few small tweaks and features to inch it closer to perfection.
I can guarantee you right here, right now that we Reason desktop is a huge priority. That's all I'm working on all day, every day. I think you'll like what we have in store for Reason. :)

HepCat

25 Apr 2017

MattiasHG wrote:I think you'll like what we have in store for Reason. :)
All l can say is, please please go through the Feature Requests subforum with a fine comb :P I won't bother saying what l want, because you hear that all the time from people.

I personally don't mind if you take longer than usual to reach the next iteration as long as you make it a good 'un. I'm still learning 6.5 anyway.

marcuswitt

25 Apr 2017

ReasonTalk wrote:From the 20th to 22nd of April 2017, Superbooth 17 was being held in Berlin. After a great success in its first year of 2016, this year the wonderful people from Schneidersladen in Berlin, who specialize in selling analog modular synthesizers, moved close to 170 exhibitors (mostly modular developers) into the FEZ building on the Berliner Wulheide.
Knowing that the even the Propellerheads would be there I simply couldn’t resist a couple of days of modular madness. And that is exactly what it turned out to be.

https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/04/inte ... uperbooth/
That is a really fantastic and interesting interview, indeed. The key message that I've got from that conversation is this, since Matthias has mentioned it a couple of times (not only in this particular interview):

LET PROPELLERHEAD KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE TO BE IMPLEMENTED IN REASON. THEY ARE LISTENING TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.

I think that's not just an 'empty bubble' but a statement that we can count on. It's on us - the customers - to have an influence on Reason's future.

ejanuska

25 Apr 2017

marcuswitt wrote:
That is a really fantastic and interesting interview, indeed. The key message that I've got from that conversation is this, since Matthias has mentioned it a couple of times (not only in this particular interview):

LET PROPELLERHEAD KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE TO BE IMPLEMENTED IN REASON. THEY ARE LISTENING TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.

I think that's not just an 'empty bubble' but a statement that we can count on. It's on us - the customers - to have an influence on Reason's future.
Well, now we know who the optimist is, said the pessimist.

chimp_spanner

25 Apr 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
The forum was closed for a bunch of reasons, technical and others. But we're always checking ReasonTalk, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for feedback. I was super serious when I said we want to hear from you!
chimp_spanner wrote:Hmm, tight lipped as ever! I mean, I'm still mostly positive about the verdane thing and I'm excited to see what they come up with on mobile/tablet. It's obviously gonna be some kinda Reason, and as a keen iOS music maker that's cool. But Reason for desktop is where it's at for me. And I think at this point it'd be nice to kinda reassure us - their core users - that it's still priority, and that there's more to come, and that our requests are being heard. I would really hate for them to focus all their energy on Reason Lite for iOS while the big boy version is sat here forever needing just a few small tweaks and features to inch it closer to perfection.
I can guarantee you right here, right now that we Reason desktop is a huge priority. That's all I'm working on all day, every day. I think you'll like what we have in store for Reason. :)
<3 And that is good enough for me man. I champion Reason absolutely everywhere I go, and not *just* because I'm a rabid fanboy :lol: but it's genuinely my favourite creative tool right now. So I really appreciate the response and reassurance. Very much looking forward to what's next!

dpcoffin

25 Apr 2017

THIS!! (Hope you're really listening, PH!):

"I want to see something like [CV interface] in the Reason Rack. Kind of like the grid64G Gate Sequencer but for CV in the Reason rack coming from, and and going to, the real world. Just a dream."

• Information