Level Gap in Big Meter

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Minimalize

24 Apr 2017

Hey guys, I booted up a standard Subtractor Pad, and hit a few notes at once and the meter is showing a gap in the level at the top on the big meter, with the pad volume hitting -4 but the yellow markers hitting around 7db. how do I get rid of those yellow markers? Even when I decrease the volume of the pad there are still green markers higher up than the volume the pad is hitting.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 15.52.35.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 15.52.35.png (267.04 KiB) Viewed 1812 times

Aikmofobi

24 Apr 2017

Those are peak hold meters, not volume. Short peaks are often the real culprits when dealing with sound in digital systems. You do want to make sure they're not peaking because you will get distortion. To remove them just press the MODE button on the big meter until it says just VU.

Minimalize

24 Apr 2017

Getting the Big Meter on VU does eliminate them being there, but surely they have shown up for a reason. What do they mean?

Last Alternative

24 Apr 2017

I think I'd rather it be there. I mean after all it's important to know where you're at. But yeah those peaks are a batch to locate the source and tame.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Aikmofobi

24 Apr 2017

Minimalize wrote:Getting the Big Meter on VU does eliminate them being there, but surely they have shown up for a reason. What do they mean?
They display the absolute maximum value of a measured signal, ie the peak, which causes most clipping issues. They are not however indicative of what humans actually hear as volume. For that purpose VU or loudness meters which measure over a longer period of time are much more appropriate.

jamiefbolton

25 Apr 2017

So should we worry about the peaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2017

jamiefbolton wrote:So should we worry about the peaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, if you go over 0db you will clip and things will become distorted when outputting to your soundcard.

Don't think Oh have created a great sound and it peaks at -2db which is under 0db, OK great now try and mix that sound with others are you are soon clipping...

This is a good video even thou they do say "Don't sweat it"

RandomSkratch

25 Apr 2017

If you don't want to see the peaks, press the mode button until only VU is lit up.
VU.PNG
VU.PNG (22.85 KiB) Viewed 1714 times

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2017

Assuming those readings are constant, the difference you're seeing is called crest factor. You can decrease the difference between the peak level and average level if you want to close that gap. If the pad sound has a sharp attack, you can increase the attack stage on the envelope.

You can try using a compressor with a very fast attack setting. Also, If you don't mind some distortion, you can use a saturation or distortion device to square off the waveforms which will reduce the crest factor. You should hear the sound get thicker and brighter, but if you're playing multiple notes at once the harmonics might fall apart and get too noisy.

The advantage of this is that your sound levels will be very consistent, and you'll be able to turn tracks up in the mix without peaks clipping as quickly. You can get a very loud modern sound this way. The disadvantage is it's very easy to get a flat mix that's lacking in dynamics and might be tough on the ears.

househoppin09

03 May 2017

Related to the above, I've always wondered what time window Reason averages over for its metering. It doesn't seem to be documented or discussed anywhere. Does anyone know?

alex

03 May 2017

Aikmofobi wrote:Those are peak hold meters, not volume. Short peaks are often the real culprits when dealing with sound in digital systems. You do want to make sure they're not peaking because you will get distortion. To remove them just press the MODE button on the big meter until it says just VU.
Just for clarification, by doing so you are not removing the peaks, but only the visualization of them.
Peaks will still be there, its just you wont see them anymore through the metering. I don't find this a useful "strategy" so to speak.
Instead, I usually put the BIG METER on peak mode only in order to see them and to handle them whenver required. :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

alex

03 May 2017

jamiefbolton wrote:So should we worry about the peaks?
I would say yes. Peaks are part of the audio signal and devices like "peak compressors" (ssl channel comp with peak button enabled, for example) and brickwall limiters react to peaks.
That's why being able to properly monitor them can give useful insight on "what's going on" and "what to do". :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

• Information