windows 10 midi bluetooth?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pjkemp

23 Apr 2017

Are there any plans to implement the UWP wrapper for windows 10 so that midi bluetooth input can be enabled in REASON?

centomila

23 Apr 2017

I don't think Propellerhead will move to the UWP platform. They don't adopt external standards usually. Especially considering userbase ratio on apple devices.

On Windows 10, the only way to send midi over bluetooth without dedicated hardware is with this utility (for what i know :p )
http://www.s-r-n.de/midile/windowsfaq.htm

Didn't tested on windows 10. I've used only one time on Win8.1.

In alternative you can send midi over network using rtp midi. maybe you can cheat the system using RTP-MIDI and creating a bluetooth network. I don't know the performance because i really like cables :p

pjkemp

23 Apr 2017

thanks for the reply centomila... i will check out your link... i have tried the windsynth app in the windows store and it works with some limitations. too bad about PH unlikely adopting the standard, however you don't have to adopt the standard to use the wrapper... its simply an additional programmatic interface to windows...

centomila

30 Apr 2017

That reply was before the VST announcement. Now i have no idea what are the PH plans :p
Anyway i think the problem is not only on the development. For what i see, you can publish an UWP only on the microsoft store, and not as download on your website (correct me if i`m wrong). This means a big limitation on the update process because need the microsoft approvation before publishing.

pjkemp

01 May 2017

there is a windows 10 wrapper available to developers which enables use of the UWP midi interface. SONAR already uses this to enable midi bluetooth. I wonder how far along PH is in developing this feature??

Cheers
PK

• Information