compression

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
alex

25 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:
alex wrote: Wait... Really? I thought they can do upward expansion (ratio <1), and the only device in Reason that can do upward compression is Leveler, or I am missing something?
Not sure tbh.
Oh ok, that's fine. :)
I just pointed that out because I'm planning a small video tutorial about upward expansion using 4Dyne and I wanted to be sure.
Anyway here's my personal notes I like to use to wrap my head around about different "concepts" in dynamics:
  • compression: brings down signals above threshold
  • expansion: brings down signals below threshold
  • Both are implicitly (and commonly referred as) downward: because they bring down something.
  • upward compression: brings up singals below threshold
  • upward expansion: brings up signals above threshold
  • Both are explicitly called upward (in contrast to the downward ones): because they bring up something.
  • gating is an extreme form of expansion (ratio tends towards endless)
  • limiting is an extreme form of compression (ratio tends towards endless)
Please, feel free to make any correction or addition to the list! :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Loque

25 Apr 2017

alex wrote:
Loque wrote:
alex wrote: Wait... Really? I thought they can do upward expansion (ratio <1), and the only device in Reason that can do upward compression is Leveler, or I am missing something?
Not sure tbh.
I just pointed that out because I'm planning a small video tutorial about upward expansion using 4Dyne and I wanted to be sure.
Anyway here's my personal notes I like to use to wrap my head around about different "concepts" in dynamics:
  • Both are implicitly (and commonly referred as) downward: because they bring down something.
  • Both are explicitly called upward (in contrast to the downward ones): because they bring up something.
Compressor, gater, limiter and expansion build-in and RE we have enough. For that upwards thing the Leveler, but i am not that familar with what it does when which settings are done.
And what is the <1 setting in a compressor? Inverted compression? Isnt that up leveling when above threshold? In your definition upward expansion? I am confused. I really would like to see a video with examples and clearly explanations.
Reason12, Win10

alex

25 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:
alex wrote:
Loque wrote:
Not sure tbh.
Compressor, gater, limiter and expansion build-in and RE we have enough. For that upwards thing the Leveler, but i am not that familar with what it does when which settings are done.
And what is the <1 setting in a compressor? Inverted compression? Isnt that up leveling when above threshold? In your definition upward expansion? I am confused. I really would like to see a video with examples and clearly explanations.

yeah sorry, I was focusing just on concepts.
As far as I know any compressor that allows "inverted ratio values", i.e. between 0 and 1 (most commonly 0.5 and 1) becomes and upward expander: it brings up further any peaks above threshold. So a ratio of 0.5:1 should expand each half db (that crosses the threshold) to 1db, each 1dB to 2dB, and so on... And that's called upward expansion. Try it for yourself if you have 4Dyne or Splex :) (but be carefull on settings!)
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-pa ... expanstion

On the other hand an upward compressor brings up "quiet signals", i.e. the ones that are located below threshold (instead of reducing peaks).
And to my knowledge this is basically an expander with inverted ratio (i.e. between 0 and 1)
The Selig Leveler does this in a targeted way: you set a target threshold and each signal that falls under that target threshold (but not more than -(ABS("curve" dB setting) + ABS(target)) ) is raised up to target level and in this case I believe the ratio is fixed and it is infinite. PS for Selig: please correct me if I said something wrong!

So, long story short:
upward compression -> brings up signals below threshold (classic expander but with ratio between 0 and 1 (i.e. inverted))
upward expansion -> brings up singlas above threshold (classic compressor but with ratio between 0 and 1 (i.e. inverted))

Hope that's more clear and I didn't make any mistakes :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Loque

25 Apr 2017

Really interesting...I think i am gonna experiment a bit. Just wanna know how upward expansion combined with expansion + optional gate and a compressor would sound. I would expect a clear peaked sound...By inverting this, i would expect a bright and bit muddy sound with less peaks. Combining in parallel or phase inversion could be interesting too. Maybe i create some basic types and combine them and check, what they sound like....
Reason12, Win10

Gorgon

25 Apr 2017

samsome wrote:i was listening a tutorial and it said

to finish this track to release it i would start to compress things so it has that shine of a commercial track

what did he meant by shine? maybe i'm missing out on something
You should look at this:

"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

• Information