Is Propellerheads Balance still worth it?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jjkjjk

24 Apr 2017

Well, bought one for $75 - basically the price of an ignition key, so we'll see if it's worth the $20 extra (I use a Mac, so hopefully so update concerns)

househoppin09

03 May 2017

jjkjjk wrote:Well, bought one for $75 - basically the price of an ignition key, so we'll see if it's worth the $20 extra (I use a Mac, so hopefully so update concerns)
Where'd you find it, if you don't mind me asking? Every time I look, there don't seem to be any for sale anywhere.

jjkjjk

08 May 2017

Guitar center used

FrankJaeger

08 May 2017

I had mine new in the box for quite a while and then started using about 5 months ago very sparingly. It recently took a crap on me and will shut down with a loud glitched popping sound in the middle of recording and during playback. Idk what's wrong with it since it has never been dropped or forced to handle massive projects. I recently got a Focusrite scarlett 2i2 to replace it which sounds nice though it does pop and crackle at a sample rate above 48k or when the project size is too much for my computer, reason and the interface to handle.

I would stay away from the Balance interface altogether though. There is no reason that mine should have began malfunctioning.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

pedrocaetanos

09 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:Not if it's been unsupported for god knows how many years it isn't.
You're better off using anything else instead of edirols/balances xD
Now I have already upgraded to Audient, but my oldie Edirol has always been loyal to me.
It's the UA-25, the solid metal one. This thing was used and recommended by acoustic measurement labs.
It's so old now, Roland didn't upgrade the drivers to Windows 10, but they can be easily "hacked" to work (it's just because they aren't certified).
Why would you dis-recommend Edirol so much?
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Ostermilk

09 May 2017

Still worth it? It was never worth it!

It was heavily over-priced for a 2 channel interface that hasn't even got midi I/O built in. There were some reasonable bundle deals if you wanted to get Reason as well at some point that sweetened the value somewhat.

I picked up a Roland UA-55 at the same time as Balance was first doing the rounds which was probably a third of the price and it's been as steady as a rock the whole time and is still supported on Windows 10, it has much better low-latency performance, midi and digital I/O, and mixed output for hardware loopback purposes.

It's 6 years old or so and still currently supported (and sold) and the best thing is I forget it's even there most of the time, now there's worth it.

Edouardo

10 May 2017

I won one at a composition contest 3-4 years ago, so didn't have to purchase it :-).
Has been in my studio as my main soundcard since. Works perfectly up to now, without a single glitch.
Reason Tutorial Producer: https://youtu.be/_oMa1Q44CRA
Music Producer & Composer - http://www.synaptic-machines.com/
Music Catalog: https://soundcloud.com/synaptic-machines

:reason: :PUF_balance: :record: :re: :refill: :D :D :D

Faastwalker

11 May 2017

Ostermilk wrote:It was heavily over-priced for a 2 channel interface that hasn't even got midi I/O built in.
It was a bit on the pricey side for what it was. If it had been a 4-in / 4-out with MIDI i/o it would have been a lot more attractive. Great looking piece of kit though. Shame it didn't work out. I was hoping for Balance 2. Imagine a Propellerhead interface that had 4 audio i/o, MIDI i/o/ & also did CV out. That would be awesome. Or would have been awesome ...... maybe! A moot point now. I can't see Propellerhead getting back into hardware any time soon. Not sure the Verdane Investment thing will have any bearing on that.

jjkjjk

12 May 2017

Works and sounds so flipping good

Ostermilk

12 May 2017

jjkjjk wrote:Works and sounds so flipping good
As does pretty much any modern interface.

$75 though, yeah at that price it was worth it.

Rezound

01 Oct 2018

Info. Its a great sounding interface, clean ins and outs. Better than my 11rack interface and Focusrite 2ch IMO. I use Mac and windows and always update. If u plan to use this Balance interface don't upgrade Windows 10 or Mac Mojave, all functions don't work and only 2in and 2out show up and phantom power won't work. So its a great interface, simple and easy to use one of my favs but now useless. Only good for playback. Im selling mine if interested, any OS below win10 and Mac Mojave, then its a beast.

I'll post "Sold" when its gone.

wendylou

01 Oct 2018

I've had no problems using Balance on Mac OS, and I actually like it very much. I eventually messed up the thin, tactile rubberized coating over the plastic case, and so I was considering Focusrite Scarlett, but Balance was so perfect for my home studio and guitar use, I decided to buy another one I found online at Play de Record in Canada in 2017. Amazingly, it was unused. I still like it very much.

15974870_1541615482545132_33042948197898497_o.jpg
15974870_1541615482545132_33042948197898497_o.jpg (297.76 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2018

Love my Balance. Don’t ever want another type of audio interface. If it ever breaks I will track a new one down no matter what the cost. And by the way...phantom power does work on Windows 10. I just checked.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

01 Oct 2018

Oquasec wrote:
23 Apr 2017
Not if it's been unsupported for god knows how many years it isn't.
You're better off using anything else instead of edirols/balances xD
Looking at my very old edirol interface that is no longer supported for Windows 10... Yet I've managed to get it working... I'll use it til it breaks, then.

jlgrimes

01 Oct 2018

Unless the price is really good, I wouldn't see much use of buying one.

It does have some cool Propellerheads only features (clip safe, can function as a dongle).

That said though I'm not sure how much Props supports this so you would probably be better off buying a normal Audio Interface that is supported.

• Information