Is Propellerheads Balance still worth it?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jjkjjk

22 Apr 2017

Thinking of picking one up used? Anyone still recommend them?

Jonathan10

22 Apr 2017

Was wondering same thing. If anybody who has one could chime in?
:refill:

SA Studio

22 Apr 2017

It's entirely unsupported hardware. The product itself has a notable failure rating as well as not being designed to exist with Win10 or any other new OS for any platform as its, yup, not supported any longer.

I certainly would agree it'd be sweet to have some Propellerhead gear, but here in 2017, Balance isn't quantified under "practical studio purchase". Focusrite, however, can easily match your needs for an interface.

Oquasec

22 Apr 2017

Propellerhead had it's own interface? Didn't even cross my mind.
Props...should consider making another one........
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Sinistereo

22 Apr 2017

As a former owner, my advice is to steer clear of Balance. Based on how poorly supported it was, I would never buy another Propellerhead hardware product again.

It was very sexy, though.

SA Studio

22 Apr 2017

The marketing of it alone was a very clear indicator that not all was well.

It was sold with Reason Essentials bundled with it. Think about it: Well over 90% of people who would have wanted or would have purchased a Balance....here it comes....already owned Reason. Let's say 80%. It was bundled with software that the majority of the people who would-be or were interested in buying the product already owned. It was never offered to pre-existing Reason users without the completely unnecessary bundled software. I know I wanted one. But I didn't need to spend an extra $50 for an interface that should have been $249 tops, not $299 with software I didn't want or remotely need. Still one of the strangest marketing campaigns I've ever seen.

jjkjjk

22 Apr 2017

Thank you!

KevTav

22 Apr 2017

I use Balance. Works perfectly well for me.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

Gaja

23 Apr 2017

SA Studio: IIRC Balance would also upgrade Reason to the latest version?
For me it is still working perfectly. The only problem I have is dusting off the softish surface of Balance. Other than that it's quite awesome imo.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Last Alternative

23 Apr 2017

I almost got one at one point. I wanted it so bad. I lusted for it. I went to the music store to hold it and buy it. I'm glad I held out after seeing all the trouble people have had with it. Now I'm quickly becoming a Universal Audio Apollo twin loyalist. It will blow your socks off.
Cashola is the only concern.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

LUST3R

23 Apr 2017

I have it, I probably got the last line of them before it was disconnected.
I have had it for about 2 - 3 years now and using the latest version of Reason.
Safe to say, it has become a vital and loved addition to my studio, I have never encountered a problem with it. If you are devoted Reason user then this is the device for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This Is LUST3R!
(Dubstep/EDM/Alternative - Music Producer, Reason User :reason:, DJ & Instrumentalist)
Check out my Soundcloud and FOLLOW ME!
https://soundcloud.com/lust3rofficial

stratatonic

23 Apr 2017

SA Studio wrote:The marketing of it alone was a very clear indicator that not all was well.

It was sold with Reason Essentials bundled with it.... ...But I didn't need to spend an extra $50 for an interface that should have been $249 tops, not $299 with software I didn't want or remotely need. Still one of the strangest marketing campaigns I've ever seen.
Don't disagree with that...btw, the price of Balance was actually $499 when introduced....
LUST3R wrote: If you are devoted Reason user then this is the device for you.
I would totally disagree with this statement. Big Reason fan here, but never wanted or needed this. You don't need branded hardware by the same software company to produce. Glad it works for you, but most interfaces these days are decent quality, but you need companies that stick with stable updates. And in a timely manner. Imo, that is most important these days.

LUST3R

23 Apr 2017

stratatonic wrote:
SA Studio wrote:The marketing of it alone was a very clear indicator that not all was well.

It was sold with Reason Essentials bundled with it.... ...But I didn't need to spend an extra $50 for an interface that should have been $249 tops, not $299 with software I didn't want or remotely need. Still one of the strangest marketing campaigns I've ever seen.
Don't disagree with that...btw, the price of Balance was actually $499 when introduced....
LUST3R wrote: If you are devoted Reason user then this is the device for you.
I would totally disagree with this statement. Big Reason fan here, but never wanted or needed this. You don't need branded hardware by the same software company to produce. Glad it works for you, but most interfaces these days are decent quality, but you need companies that stick with stable updates. And in a timely manner. Imo, that is most important these days.
I never said you did need branded hardware by the same software company, it is simply just nice to have as it works seamlessly with its native software (it does for me anyway and I have never needed anything else since.) As for updates for Reason Balance in my experience there has never been any problem or bug, so never seen a need for updates.

This Is LUST3R!
(Dubstep/EDM/Alternative - Music Producer, Reason User :reason:, DJ & Instrumentalist)
Check out my Soundcloud and FOLLOW ME!
https://soundcloud.com/lust3rofficial

Gorgon

23 Apr 2017

I have one, I use it as a spare. I bought it because you could upgrade Reason for free (I believe it was with Reason 7). So I paid 265 euro for Balance + Reason 7 upgrade.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

PSoames

23 Apr 2017

Goodness! How quickly time passes. It's been 5 years since I bought mine and it has been faultless from day one.

Probably cursed it now. Never mind, even when it breaks it'll have a place on my desk, it's got a sense of Louboutin style about it.

Oquasec

23 Apr 2017

I use a focusrite/steinberg interface myself but had no idea props made one till seeing this site.
Props didn't advertise that shit back when 5 was a thing didn't they?

SIGH PROPS MAKE ANOTHER ONE WILL BUILT IN LOOPBACK AND SHIP IT WITH REASON :P
Producer/Programmer.

kitekrazy

23 Apr 2017

LUST3R wrote:I have it, I probably got the last line of them before it was disconnected.
I have had it for about 2 - 3 years now and using the latest version of Reason.
Safe to say, it has become a vital and loved addition to my studio, I have never encountered a problem with it. If you are devoted Reason user then this is the device for you.

This is how companies market and then fanboys get stuck with doorstops and no loyalty reward for fanboyism.

I'm always cautious when a software company comes out with fanboy hardware.

Oquasec

23 Apr 2017

Not if it's been unsupported for god knows how many years it isn't.
You're better off using anything else instead of edirols/balances xD
Producer/Programmer.

jjpscott01

23 Apr 2017

Support or not, I've had mine for 4 years and still yet I've never have an issue. Its worked beautifully for me through 3 windows upgrades, multiple hardware upgrades, and 2 major moves. I've got quite a nice collection of interfaces by Focusrite, Steinberg, Presonus, Mackie, Avid, etc and still Balance is my favorite of all the 2 channel devices ive used. I'm currently on the latest developers release of Windows 10 and its running like a champ. That said, I would never recommend unsupported hardware to anyone as there is no guarantee if something changes it wont break. Its a shame it didn't take off like they thought and support was dropped because the design and idea was fantastic.
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 4 | SAMPLITUDE PRO X5 | BALANCE | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

SA Studio

23 Apr 2017

It didn't take off like they thought because they marketed it terribly.

QVprod

23 Apr 2017

I thought the clip gain function was cool when it came out. However in my experience (aside from recording to tape) I've never had to record audio at a level where coming close to clipping is ever necessary. Aside from that, Balance has no functional advantages over a multichannel audio interface. Since it's discontinued I would suggest current available options. I second the Focusrite recommendation.

Gorgon

23 Apr 2017

QVprod wrote:I thought the clip gain function was cool when it came out. However in my experience (aside from recording to tape) I've never had to record audio at a level where coming close to clipping is ever necessary. Aside from that, Balance has no functional advantages over a multichannel audio interface. Since it's discontinued I would suggest current available options. I second the Focusrite recommendation.
The only thing that is practical about the Balance is that it has a huge volume knob and that you can don't have to switch your input cables, you can all just plug them in at once and use the buttons to select the source. Nice and handy on a desk.

Well I guess that's two things. :)
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

QVprod

23 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:
QVprod wrote:I thought the clip gain function was cool when it came out. However in my experience (aside from recording to tape) I've never had to record audio at a level where coming close to clipping is ever necessary. Aside from that, Balance has no functional advantages over a multichannel audio interface. Since it's discontinued I would suggest current available options. I second the Focusrite recommendation.
The only thing that is practical about the Balance is that it has a huge volume knob and that you can don't have to switch your input cables, you can all just plug them in at once and use the buttons to select the source. Nice and handy on a desk.

Well I guess that's two things. :)
You wouldn't have to switch input cables with a multi channel interface either. But I suppose Balance prevents you from having to change input channels, for mono signals atleast. I'll give you 1.5 :wink:

sonicbyte

24 Apr 2017

I use it in my MacBook Pro (late 2013) without any issues on OSX Sierra, works fine.

Rickyd Dee

24 Apr 2017

Balance is still working fine for me also.....but my OS is windows 7. My next will be the Universal Audio Apollo twin :)
Reason 9 / :PUF_balance: / :re: / :refill:

• Information