The Importance Of Mono Reference

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
KevTav

21 Apr 2017

So I have no access to the engineer I was using, or his studio.

And I have fully realized that the ability to reference quickly in mono is something that is basically a MUST for mixes. So I'm getting a mono speaker (single) with a control switch.

I've mixed songs using my Yamaha HS80s and headphones and when I take it to the car, or phone or anywhere else it lacks so much. But any mix I've had where I had the ability to reference in mono sounds good, and it saves so much time.

Just throwing it out there.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

Last Alternative

21 Apr 2017

Get 1 Avantone mixcube (active). I'm telling you that's the best way to go. And of course set it right in the middle.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Voyager

21 Apr 2017

I mainly use my mono monitor for checking phase issue and around main crossover and also for levelling my tracks.

motuscott

21 Apr 2017

Last Alternative wrote:Get 1 Avantone mixcube (active).
I concur.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

KevTav

21 Apr 2017

Last Alternative wrote:Get 1 Avantone mixcube (active). I'm telling you that's the best way to go. And of course set it right in the middle.
I'm way ahead if you Bud. :D
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

KevTav

21 Apr 2017

motuscott wrote:
Last Alternative wrote:Get 1 Avantone mixcube (active).
I concur.
As do I :thumbs_up:

ReasonUser

21 Apr 2017

Avantone mixcube going to work much better than just flipping the mono switch on and hearing it over the regular studio pair?

Unfortunately my computer screens are right in front of me. And some rack gear on the shelf above them. The only option would be to put it ~15" above my ears pointing downward.

Wickline

22 Apr 2017

I just use the Anansi Mid Side Router for mono and Pongasoft A/B 12 for a pushbutton. Both free last time I checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

Last Alternative

22 Apr 2017

The Universal Audio Apollo twin solo mkii has a mono button so no need for Reason workarounds anymore.
Last edited by Last Alternative on 22 Apr 2017, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Last Alternative

22 Apr 2017

KevTav wrote:
Last Alternative wrote:Get 1 Avantone mixcube (active). I'm telling you that's the best way to go. And of course set it right in the middle.
I'm way ahead if you Bud. :D
Smart man.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2017

I always place Quadelactras Stereo Splitter at the end of the master bus chain for every song I make. Stereo Splitter has a mono button. It couldn't get any simpler than that.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it though. But buying new speakers seems like a very expensive alternative when Stereo Splitter costs 9 bucks. Or am I missing something? Is there a difference?
You can even get kHs Stereo for free in the shop which basically does the same thing.

Gulale

22 Apr 2017

Sometimes it really confuses me what the hell is going on on the Propellerheads HQ. Is there a DAW which doesn't have a mono button? why the hell people think about Rack extension for a single task like mono button? Hard going.
Gulale aka Bereket

grizelda

22 Apr 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:Stereo Splitter has a mono button. It couldn't get any simpler than that.
But buying new speakers seems like a very expensive alternative when Stereo Splitter costs 9 bucks. Or am I missing something?
i dont mean no disrespect but i guess theyre talking about the accuracy of that particular speaker? i dont own one but im assuming thats why they recommended it

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2017

grizelda wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:Stereo Splitter has a mono button. It couldn't get any simpler than that.
But buying new speakers seems like a very expensive alternative when Stereo Splitter costs 9 bucks. Or am I missing something?
i dont mean no disrespect but i guess theyre talking about the accuracy of that particular speaker? i dont own one but im assuming thats why they recommended it
No problem.

So are regular (good sounding) studio monitors less accurate? What's the advantage of having a dedicated mono speaker compared to a mono button in your DAW?
I'm sure these are dumb questions, but what hell. I just want to learn.

selig
RE Developer

22 Apr 2017

Gulale wrote:Sometimes it really confuses me what the hell is going on on the Propellerheads HQ. Is there a DAW which doesn't have a mono button? why the hell people think about Rack extension for a single task like mono button? Hard going.
Pro Tools (and Logic IIRC) doesn't have a mono button. This function is traditionally NOT a part of the mix bus, so is not commonly included. I can't speak to other DAWs.

A mono button would typically be a part of the monitor selector section, not the output of the main mix bus.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Wickline

22 Apr 2017

selig wrote: Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Love that sig haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

selig
RE Developer

22 Apr 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
grizelda wrote:
No problem.

So are regular (good sounding) studio monitors less accurate? What's the advantage of having a dedicated mono speaker compared to a mono button in your DAW?
Using a single monitor for mono has advantages over using two speakers. For one, you get a 'phantom' mono center image with stereo speakers, and it's not as accurate as a single monitor (due to subtle comb filtering between the speakers). For another, you get a true 'single source point' monitor

Using an Avatone mix cube is another concept, that being to get rid of the crossover and focus more purely on the mid range frequencies.

Yes, you can use a mix cube as a mono check, but you may miss some data by using such a 'focused' frequency range.

IMO it's more important to have a single point source monitor (turning off one speaker) when checking in mono than it is to have a specific brand of speaker for mono check. But OTOH, it's ALWAYS a good thing to have more than one monitor choice when mixing!

FWIW, I use a Roland Mix Cube for mono check, which has the ability to create the mono signal internally (no need to have a mono button anywhere, just need a speaker switcher).
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

Oquasec

22 Apr 2017

I use a music bullet with some 300$ studio monitors lol.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2017

selig wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:
grizelda wrote:
No problem.

Using a single monitor for mono has advantages over using two speakers. For one, you get a 'phantom' mono center image with stereo speakers, and it's not as accurate as a single monitor (due to subtle comb filtering between the speakers). For another, you get a true 'single source point' monitor

Using an Avatone mix cube is another concept, that being to get rid of the crossover and focus more purely on the mid range frequencies.

Yes, you can use a mix cube as a mono check, but you may miss some data by using such a 'focused' frequency range.

IMO it's more important to have a single point source monitor (turning off one speaker) when checking in mono than it is to have a specific brand of speaker for mono check. But OTOH, it's ALWAYS a good thing to have more than one monitor choice when mixing!

FWIW, I use a Roland Mix Cube for mono check, which has the ability to create the mono signal internally (no need to have a mono button anywhere, just need a speaker switcher).
Alright. Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

KevTav

22 Apr 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:I always place Quadelactras Stereo Splitter at the end of the master bus chain for every song I make. Stereo Splitter has a mono button. It couldn't get any simpler than that.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it though. But buying new speakers seems like a very expensive alternative when Stereo Splitter costs 9 bucks. Or am I missing something? Is there a difference?
You can even get kHs Stereo for free in the shop which basically does the same thing.
I'm looking into everything mentioned in this thread

Gorgon

22 Apr 2017

tl;dr

Anyway, what I heard about mono checking, is that you can really zone-in on certain mixing issues and get unwanted frequencies out. Is that right, Selig?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

KevTav

22 Apr 2017

Even my Izotope Ozone 7 suite has a Mid/Side ability to get extra clarity but I feel I truly need a real EXTERNAL reference like a Mono Cube. Splitters help, mono buttons with certain plug-ins seem to help, but nothing feels like it does when I actually had access to a real SPEAKER in a studio setting. It doesn't feel like 'real' mono.

If that makes any sense.

KevTav

22 Apr 2017

I just wish somebody would invent a one step plug in to compare Mono signals to a single/preset "Calibration" standard of Mono. That would make this whole thing much easier.

:/

selig
RE Developer

22 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:tl;dr

Anyway, what I heard about mono checking, is that you can really zone-in on certain mixing issues and get unwanted frequencies out. Is that right, Selig?
I'm not sure about that quality (get unwanted frequencies out), but what a mono mix check does for me it to hear what the simplest form of the mix sounds like, sans any stereo 'trickery' etc.

I can also be important in that in some rarecases you may be listening in mono (for example, an FM radio broadcast that is getting too far out of range to effectively transmit the stereo signal, which then defaults to mono).

But IMO you can definitely zone in on mixing issues, similar to how the "next room" mix-check works (walking into the next room and listening as your mix plays). It distills the mix elements down to the raw essentials, in a way giving you a 'worst case' scenario that IF you can sound good in THAT particular stress test you'll probably sound good in every other case.

Selig Audio, LLC

• Information