Getting the best results from the M-Class Maximizer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MirrorEyEs

19 Apr 2017

At the mastering stage.

So what are your top tips?..........get Ozone, Kratos, Onyx or Titan :lol:

Seems to work best for me with about 4db of gain reduction, beyond that it's quite noticeable. I've heard people rave about the soft clip, what used stand alone or in conjunction with the limiter section?

Is setting the output gain to -0.2db enough to prevent intersample peaking, do I even need to bother?
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

Oquasec

19 Apr 2017

Mclass.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

MirrorEyEs

19 Apr 2017

Yah.
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

MirrorEyEs

26 Apr 2017

Jezuz it is absolute shite the MClart compared to Kratos 2 and Ozone, will never use it again that's for sure :lol:

SA Studio

26 Apr 2017

It would serve the user base better, IMO, to have a better explained and more intuitive device for Limiting purposes. I'd like Propellerhead to offer an (even the MClass Maximiser already does perform Limiting) ultra simple Limiter like the Waves L2 (it has two sliders) ~ it would really help Reason users understand Limiting, capping off your audio, and have a better understanding of loudness as well to boot.

Remember when new Reason versions offered new devices?

I'd love to see a very simple, 2 slider/knob Limiter on offer for Reason 10. It would garner interest and would incredibly easy to pull off.

Two sliders and a few dithering options you don't really ever need to mess with.
Last edited by SA Studio on 27 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

MirrorEyEs

26 Apr 2017

Yeah the MClart is in serious need of superseding. A complete new limiter not an upgraded dogs dinner version.

Oquasec

26 Apr 2017

I feel like propellerhead made an entire format specifically called rack extensions, for that purpose.
But Yep ,still sticking to mclass for mixing/mastering and saving that $$$ for more plugs like parsec.
Producer/Programmer.

SA Studio

27 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:I feel like propellerhead made an entire format specifically called rack extensions, for that purpose.
But Yep ,still sticking to mclass for mixing/mastering and saving that $$$ for more plugs like parsec.

Propellerhead are quite free to add a very basic and simple little Limiter to Reason. If fact, it would be a wise move for them.

You're also free to stick with the MClass Maximiser.

But you're right about Rack Extensions. They did make that format. However, you're incorrect thinking that anything else added to the rack has to be in the form of a bought and paid-for RE. It could be a new addition to the Rack just like Pulveriser or Echo, both of which were built on RE tech.

I think it would be a very wise move.

Oquasec

27 Apr 2017

I'm not saying no to more props plugs lmao.
Producer/Programmer.

SA Studio

27 Apr 2017

MirrorEyEs wrote:Yeah the MClart is in serious need of superseding. A complete new limiter not an upgraded dogs dinner version.
Trying to compete with Ableton with some of the current, very non-updated, circa-2004 devices is simply not going to happen any more.

Loque

27 Apr 2017

No need for a limiter. You have The Echo and khs for free. Some compressors have flexible limiters and there are specialized available in the shop.
Reason12, Win10

SA Studio

27 Apr 2017

Naaa.

There's very much a need for a Limiter. It's a proper tool for preparing audio for a release. Absolutely no question there about it. There's a reason Limiters are employed and one of them is to prevent damaging digital "overs". Limiters are par for course in Digital Audio production. And there's room, IMO, in the Reason ethos for a very simple Limiter.

Many Reason users are cloudy on what the purposes for Limiting are. A simple, straight forward Limiter device would be good for Reason users.

Sure, it may expose how bloated some Limiters on offer are, but let those other Limiters have all the dithering options you'll never use. Or, the attack and release times on a Limiter you'll probably never mess with. Leave those other RE's to have all those bells and whistles.

To know the simplicity of a L2 is liberating and also educational. Reason could use one.

Oquasec

27 Apr 2017

Putting the ratio to infinite is the textbook definition of limiting.
The maximizer does this already too. Then there's a plethora of external crap that exists for reason users.
Producer/Programmer.

SA Studio

27 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:Putting the ratio to infinite is the textbook definition of limiting.
The maximizer does this already too. Then there's a plethora of external crap that exists for reason users.
Agreed, no arguments there. Perhaps to explain my position, I also feel the same way about adding a new MultiBand Compressor to the stock RE devices for a Reason 10 release. Imagine:

A "new school" looking Reason device, meaning like one of the players from R9, that's a MultiBand Compressor? :o
How about a new school looking super straight forward Limiter? No argument that there's other ways around the barn to achieve these same results in Reason already, but if they're at all out of ideas of ways to sweeten the pot to attract new buyers to Reason 10, those ideas there could possibly be good ones. :reason:
Last edited by SA Studio on 27 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Kov

27 Apr 2017

I use it with the limiter section switched off. Just soft clip.

Oquasec

27 Apr 2017

ah that's a good idea. takes up less real estate than a combi.
Which is what the difference is :lol:
Producer/Programmer.

deepndark

27 Apr 2017

Nowdays I let the tape compressor tame the spikes before it goes to Maximizer. This way I still have enough dynamics and the M-class has easier task to sound transparent. I have the Izotope limiter too and sometimes I use it's soft limiting before it goes to M-class. I quote Adam Fielding which applies to everything related to tweaking: "when it sounds right, it's right".

Data_Shrine

27 Apr 2017

+ 1 for whole Mclass suite update. Compressor + EQ needs 2x oversampling. Limiter is a tiny bit grainy (imho). Needs ISP detection.

It would be great if the auto-make up gain COMP gets an update too.

Aikmofobi

27 Apr 2017

deepndark wrote:Nowdays I let the tape compressor tame the spikes before it goes to Maximizer.
What tape compressor?

deepndark

27 Apr 2017

Aikmofobi wrote:
deepndark wrote:Nowdays I let the tape compressor tame the spikes before it goes to Maximizer.
What tape compressor?
Scream 4's tape compression.

Aikmofobi

27 Apr 2017

Right.

• Information