To strengthen expansion, Verdane invests in Propellerhead, becoming majority shareholder

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

12 Apr 2017

pedrocaetanos wrote:
stratatonic wrote:It's not in their best interests to slash and burn and demoralize the software team, so that the team starts not giving a shit and starts to put out buggy, not well thought out code that no one will want anymore. Reason has been pretty stable so far.
However looking back at past buy-outs what usually happens is that with time new managent comes in, with coins in place of the eyes, and start alienating the best human assets of the company with decisions based only on quick and easy profit (and often fail on that objective due to new spiritless products).
I easily see a future where reason is no longer rock-solid.
Let's hope that Verdane doesn't alienate the best software talent that's there. Often its the supply chain of many companies that are inefficient and lots gets pared down there. There may be some personnel changes in marketing. Sometimes even losing your colleagues/friends in a smaller company messes up the synergy.
pedrocaetanos wrote:for better or worse, it's more speculations... but I can say that after Roger Waters leaving, Pink Floyd wasn't the same anymore...
no speculation there...simply dreadful afterwards...

Let's hope for many more years of stable product in the meantime.
Last edited by stratatonic on 12 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

stratatonic

12 Apr 2017

Pralijah wrote:I believe the integration of the iOS and OS of the tablets will soner or later be better synced and compatible with eachother. Microsoft has made it further than the others in making almost same OS on all types of machines. Apple is not there yet, probably because they are deponent on the already large segment of iOS-apps in their store. But soner or later it and their Desktop OS will have to come even closer in integration, I guess.
That's a good point about Apple's mobile App Store. They do make a ridiculous amount of money here and how they merge iOS with OS will be a challenge. I'm not sure that they would want to. Do they even have to?

stratatonic

12 Apr 2017

sdst wrote:I think that Reason is going to the masses with vst/RE and will be on the top 3 Daw
The easiest way to grow desktop Reason would be to allow VST to be used, imo.

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Apr 2017

stratatonic wrote:The easiest way to grow desktop Reason would be to allow VST to be used, imo.
People want sounds and synths. We're getting fantastic RE synths at the moment. Maybe this investment can fund a new wave of sound packs too.

mind2069

12 Apr 2017

avasopht wrote:
stratatonic wrote:The easiest way to grow desktop Reason would be to allow VST to be used, imo.
People want sounds and synths. We're getting fantastic RE synths at the moment. Maybe this investment can fund a new wave of sound packs too.
Agreed for synths, we have a great selection, and the SDK is quite capable now, but lets say for guitar amps (just an example), like mercuriall, reason is so far behind.

I'm not pro VST, I way prefer RE's but I wish we would have better development for other "effects".

But I wonder even if reason had all vsts as RE's, would it make such a difference in reason sales, sure it would help, but I mean, people choose a DAW not only based on the vst's but on the workflow, audio editing, ect... Maybe people just dont care about the rack as a work flow

I think reason needs a major update on audio and midi, while its definitely improved (pitch edit)

fieldframe
RE Developer

12 Apr 2017

avasopht wrote:
Agreed. The RE market is great right now. But how many established VST houses are making REs? Two, maybe three?

The Rack Extension concept has finally become a success, but only with new, independent developers. The natives have built a nice city, but Reason is still on an isolated island from the rest of the music tech world.

selig
RE Developer

12 Apr 2017

I didn't used to be "that guy", but lately I find myself leaning towards the camp of wishing music/production threads got as much action as speculation threads like this about stuff most of us have little experience with. I understand the attraction, just wishing music/technique threads attracted as much attention…isn't that the subject most of us have actual experience with and interest in? Just thinking out loud, carry on, nothing to see here (just an old fart mumbling incoherently). ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Apr 2017

Hopes and fears, imagination and exploring the possibilities.

Maybe it's just easier or more natural to speculate and share what we see in our crystal ball.

Maybe it's the free flow of thought alone that acts as a catalyst to other creative activities by strengthening the neural networks associated with forming, merging and reasoning about new and old ideas ;)

On the other hand maybe the speculation is an expression of one's inner frustration from repeated failed attempts to successfully imitate the latest catchy pop song, hoping this merger opens up the sonic possibility one may presume it's the missing link between mediocrity and stardom.

Questions we are all just a heartbeat away from answering yet several lifetimes away from ever fully knowing.

</specu-ception>

stratatonic

14 Apr 2017

avasopht wrote:
What I meant was that you could get more brand new Reason users if you open up the program to VSTs. (Reason Essentials would not have the ability to use VST - another incentive to bump up to the main program). If you already own a VST or 2 or 3, It's a tough sell to buy Reason. Why would you, you can't use them.

Are you saying to grow the Rack Extension Shop to get brand new Reason users? That if there are more fantastic synths and sound packs, that people will come flocking to Reason? Even if they own other VST synths? Or other sample based instruments?

RDS

14 Apr 2017

Hm, Ernst and Marcus are both members of the board of Allihoopa and Ph put in 12 millions SEK to the company in 2015, one of the main reason the numbers for Ph seems to be low for the same year. Figure and Take are now a part of Allihoopa, not Ph. So if the reports are correct they get 100 millions SEK for Ph. Enough to secure the future, and still something to take a chance on. Allihoopa has potential for the future...

Ph is Reason, Allihoopa is Figure and Take (and whatever new apps that are coming) Ph might need a cash injection to develop Reason for IOS/Android and the market for that is to big to ignore compared to the ordinary DAW-market. A 1000+ market for Reasan as it is or a 100 000+ market for a version of Reason for IOS/android who could ignore that?

Oquasec

14 Apr 2017

give dr rex regions.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Bumbum

15 Apr 2017

selig wrote:I didn't used to be "that guy", but lately I find myself leaning towards the camp of wishing music/production threads got as much action as speculation threads like this about stuff most of us have little experience with. I understand the attraction, just wishing music/technique threads attracted as much attention…isn't that the subject most of us have actual experience with and interest in? Just thinking out loud, carry on, nothing to see here (just an old fart mumbling incoherently). ;)
This

stfual

15 Apr 2017

selig wrote:I didn't used to be "that guy", but lately I find myself leaning towards the camp of wishing music/production threads got as much action as speculation threads like this about stuff most of us have little experience with. I understand the attraction, just wishing music/technique threads attracted as much attention…isn't that the subject most of us have actual experience with and interest in? Just thinking out loud, carry on, nothing to see here (just an old fart mumbling incoherently). ;)
I'm an old fart with little experience in music production but a lot in IT company acquisitions. I've worked for 9 IT companies and 8 of them have either been acquired or went bust during acquistion. I either lost or saw significant devaluation in share options in 4 of those. Made money once.

I'll raise a problem with mature product forums in general which while it isn't prevalent here does exist. There tends to be 3 or 4 core experts that come to be relied upon which means other people no longer bother to contribute. That in turn tends to discourage newbie discussions because they ask or fear asking "stupid" questions which typically get RTFM type responses.

I don't have an answer for this but I'd see the lack of new user activity as a troubling sign. I browse the Image Line forums from time to time and while it's often a chaotic mixture of trolls, abuse and newbies it is vibrant and some interesting stuff does come up.

One thing that I think should be understood is the thrill of first getting a sound out of a computer. I had no musical or Midi background and hearing this amazing sound coming out of a computer in a store was what got me into Reason. I'd have a version of Reason free with a matrix, a redrum, a Thor , NN19, an Echo and maybe a chord player as a free downloadable. Get that on torrents and a few office computers making beats and you drive new users.

SA Studio

15 Apr 2017

stratatonic wrote:
sdst wrote:I think that Reason is going to the masses with vst/RE and will be on the top 3 Daw
I'm a huge Reason advocate. Goes without saying.

You're entirely correct here. Or, at the least, I agree with you. :reason:

fieldframe
RE Developer

15 Apr 2017

SA Studio wrote:
stratatonic wrote:
I'm a huge Reason advocate. Goes without saying.

You're entirely correct here. Or, at the least, I agree with you. :reason:
It does seem like now might finally be the right time. Ernst's vision for a unique Reason plugin format has proven successful. The Rack Extension market has matured to the point where it no longer needs to be propped up by keeping VST out of Reason.

The value is clear: VST in Reason will allow many producers who haven't upgraded in years to finally make Reason their primary DAW. Come for the VSTs; stay for the REs. :)

deepndark

15 Apr 2017

I wouldn't mind if VST support would be added, as long as Reason remains stable (at least for those who don't use VSTs but REs). And if it's possible, then Reason should remember one step before the project crashed. I'm sure VST support would bring lots and lots new clients. But then again, another route to take would be making RE SDK at least as good as VSTs are.

Oquasec

16 Apr 2017

This obviously is going to sound really ass backwards... but I wish propellerhead never adds a native vst support and keep that strictly for rewire/remote/midi ox or emi due to having to maintain more than one architecture [one of which I prefer over vsts in terms of design]

Back when I was a teen I was like dudes put a native bridge in this shit. But I'm starting to realize that would just add more things to do when there is already a custom 3 steps sdk.
Producer/Programmer.

sdst
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2017

I would prefer a good RE to a VST in reason, But the big market wants VST

maybe rewire master Would be a good start, So people can use vst via rewire

Oquasec

16 Apr 2017

That's what I'm on about. Keep vst support for the tried and true rewire format.
You can control the sequencer using the emi module so that is even better idea imo.

Being able to keep reason in standalone mode, is a priority imo since that gives props more time for their own format and gives the users a plethora of options. [more than 5 but for simplicty rewire or external vsthosts matter]
Producer/Programmer.

househoppin09

16 Apr 2017

stfual wrote:One thing that I think should be understood is the thrill of first getting a sound out of a computer. I had no musical or Midi background and hearing this amazing sound coming out of a computer in a store was what got me into Reason. I'd have a version of Reason free with a matrix, a redrum, a Thor , NN19, an Echo and maybe a chord player as a free downloadable. Get that on torrents and a few office computers making beats and you drive new users.
Can't emphasize this enough! Yes, a super-limited free version of desktop Reason is such a no-brainer. It would massively drive sales. Come on, Props, you know it's a good idea! :) And ReWire Master is a no-brainer, as well.

riemac

16 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:That's what I'm on about. Keep vst support for the tried and true rewire format.
You can control the sequencer using the emi module so that is even better idea imo.

Being able to keep reason in standalone mode, is a priority imo since that gives props more time for their own format and gives the users a plethora of options. [more than 5 but for simplicty rewire or external vsthosts matter]
Rewire Master is not a good idea for vst integration because it limits the CPU usage of Reason to one CPU core.
And you need to run two daws in parallel which use even more CPU. This is a no go.

Oquasec

16 Apr 2017

Using another daw like you would minihost modular [midi ox or emi] solves that.
But even then it was running fine on my rig so what's the big deal?

Although you you do have a point, using multiple sequencers is somewhat of a workflow killer sometimes.
Open up reason. Then open a second daw [like you would savihost or minihost modular]
Set the second daw to a different asio. now use emi.

As painless as rewire is.
Producer/Programmer.

QVprod

16 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:Using another daw like you would minihost modular [midi ox or emi] solves that.
But even then it was running fine on my rig so what's the big deal?

Although you you do have a point, using multiple sequencers is somewhat of a workflow killer sometimes.
Open up reason. Then open a second daw [like you would savihost or minihost modular]
Set the second daw to a different asio. now use emi.

As painless as rewire is.
As the person who made that video controlling another daw via Rewire and EMI, I have to say it's really not the same. I'd happily welcome vst support. Whole reason I made that video was because I think looping back audio is a pain. Rewire solves that. However it does strain the processor more. I typically just avoid using Reason when I want a specific vst sound.

Oquasec

16 Apr 2017

Made that just in case it wasn't clear enough since I wasn't descriptive with it.
Producer/Programmer.

SA Studio

16 Apr 2017

deepndark wrote:I wouldn't mind if VST support would be added, as long as Reason remains stable (at least for those who don't use VSTs but REs). And if it's possible, then Reason should remember one step before the project crashed. I'm sure VST support would bring lots and lots new clients. But then again, another route to take would be making RE SDK at least as good as VSTs are.
Frankly, anyone who still thinks or worry's about VST's in 2017 affecting Reason's "stability" is very, very incorrect about that assumption. Not saying you, just saying that as a very factual statement across the board. :thumbs_up: :reason:

• Information