Learning Reason's back wiring? Any good way?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

26 Mar 2017

hi i want to learn Reason's back wiring as painlessly as possible.....not scientifically....i am guessing the manual is a pain i can't go through that

normen

26 Mar 2017

Its just audio outputs and audio inputs, just imagine an arrow on the cable.

For CV its the same, just that theres one cable with the note values and one cable with the on/off for the notes.

samsome

26 Mar 2017

yes but i don't know what some audio inputs outputs do, there's so many behind instruments, effects etc

normen

26 Mar 2017

samsome wrote:yes but i don't know what some audio inputs outputs do, there's so many behind instruments, effects etc
They all do the same, output audio or receive audio. What they output is mostly written above the plug.

mfavila

26 Mar 2017

There's always YouTube tutorials. Just start with one device first.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

centomila

26 Mar 2017

It's a little oversimplified :p

The first thing to learn some techniques, is to watch the included patches with reason and the youtube propellerhead channel. Everything after Reason 4, is the same (in the cabling world), so doesn't exclude tutorials just because they are old. Also, press K to hide/unhide cables :)

Those are my tips:
The audio is pretty simple. It's just like audio jack in real world. If you drag the left channel, the right channel it's always auto-connected. If you wanna go mono, disconnect the right channel.
Some instruments like redrum or kong, have separate outputs for every bank. Some synth with embedded effects, have a separate output for the dry signal.
Some effects introduce some delay, so pay attention if you are trying to create anything for a live performance.

CV signals are a little more complex. You can connect every CV IN to every CV OUT, but some cabling doesn't have sense.
Those are the most common CV input in an instrument

CV GATE = Receive the signal "play a note". In a redrum will play the sample, in a thor will play a note (selected by the CV NOTE)
CV NOTE = specify wich note is played in a value from 0-127 ( http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/tsc ... ctaves.htm )
Filter = Control the filter value in the instrument (duh)

A common cv example is used for sidechaining.

Redrum CV GATE OUT 1 > Spider CV SPLITTER > Sidechain IN another Mix Channel
Now the compressor is automated by the first redrum steps 1. If you lower the volume, the cv still works. If you mute using the redrum "M" button, the cv out is stopped.

I don't know if you were looking for something more or less advanced. Hope it helps in some way.
Have fun :)

Gorgon

26 Mar 2017

samsome wrote:hi i want to learn Reason's back wiring as painlessly as possible.....not scientifically....i am guessing the manual is a pain i can't go through that
There are no short cuts to understanding signal flow. If you can't be bothered to read up on it in the manual, you might as well give up at the start.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2017

Gorgon wrote:If you can't be bothered to read up on it in the manual, you might as well give up at the start.
Yup that's what I did. I gave up on the cables right away and things are working just fine :)

Connecting Ochen K:s Carve EQ Ducker between two devices is about as advanced as I go. With Carve you have to do that cable routing. I did have to write down how to connect it though and I used to look at my notes for about 3 months before I learned how to do it.
To be honest I still don't quite get what I'm doing, I've just learned: connect that to that, and that to that. And now it's working, fantastic!

God I'm such a tech-retard haha.

Yeah cables and CV stuff, not for me. I'm better off focusing on songwriting.

Gorgon

26 Mar 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
Gorgon wrote:If you can't be bothered to read up on it in the manual, you might as well give up at the start.
Yup that's what I did. I gave up on the cables right away and things are working just fine :)

Connecting Ochen K:s Carve EQ Ducker between two devices is about as advanced as I go. With Carve you have to do that cable routing. I did have to write down how to connect it though and I used to look at my notes for about 3 months before I learned how to do it.
To be honest I still don't quite get what I'm doing, I've just learned: connect that to that, and that to that. And now it's working, fantastic!

God I'm such a tech-retard haha.

Yeah cables and CV stuff, not for me. I'm better off focusing on songwriting.
That is the right approach. Nobody here is going to make fun of you for not "getting" the whole wire thing. You're probably better at songwriting than I am.

The thing is, you just can't take the short route to knowing how audio routing and CV works. Hence my advice for the topic starter. Everything in his messages says "AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT" and well, that's the complete wrong approach.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

joeyluck

26 Mar 2017

I've used Reason since ver. 1 and didn't really start using CV until Pulsar and R6.5! It did a great job offering a simple and straight forward interface that was inviting to try. So I think that is certainly a great place to start with CV. Happy they include it inside Reason now. Great tool for everyone to have

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2017

Gorgon wrote:That is the right approach. Nobody here is going to make fun of you for not "getting" the whole wire thing. You're probably better at songwriting than I am.
Well luckily you really don't need to know much about the technical aspect of Reason to make music with it.

I think most Reason folks find the CV and routing possibilities fun and fascinating. I don't, I find it complicated, boring, unintuitive and my brain just shuts off immediately every time I try to get into it :)
I am a little jealous of people having a fun and easy time with these things. Seems like I'm missing out on some cool stuff. But after being lucky enough to be placed pretty high in some Song Challenges I've realized that these technical things don't necessarily matter much in the end. I know how to right click to use automation, isn't that enough? :)

I do question my DAW of choice though since these features seem to be what a lot of people love about Reason.

joeyluck

26 Mar 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:I do question my DAW of choice though since these features seem to be what a lot of people love about Reason.
Well like I mentioned, I didn't get into CV until later. Things just worked and sounded the way I wanted them to, so similarly I felt no need to venture into it. But still, the rack is there and that's what attracted me to Reason. Like real hardware; nicely organized. I can see all of the interface without tons of floating windows and different browsers for each plugin, etc. There's still plenty to appreciate about it that's unique without diving into CV connections.

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2017

Try these

https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2014/07/2 ... ple-logic/
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/05/2 ... organized/
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/09/0 ... aking-art/

As for each socket, as said they are all either and In or an Out. Just because there are a million of them, they are all either an In or an Out. You wire a signal-out into a signal-In so in a knife fight there are only ever two sockets in your mind at any moment.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:I do question my DAW of choice though since these features seem to be what a lot of people love about Reason.
Well like I mentioned, I didn't get into CV until later. Things just worked and sounded the way I wanted them to, so similarly I felt no need to venture into it. But still, the rack is there and that's what attracted me to Reason. Like real hardware; nicely organized. I can see all of the interface without tons of floating windows and different browsers for each plugin, etc. There's still plenty to appreciate about it that's unique without diving into CV connections.
Yeah I might get into to it later on too. Who knows? Maybe someday I'll get bored with the way I do things and just want something new to play with.

I agree about the floating windows thing. I use Reaper sometimes just for mastering and even though I only use one or two plugins I still get annoyed by the floating plugin thing.

Data_Shrine

28 Mar 2017

Start easy, one thing at a time, simple things. Like a LFO to pitch.

selig
RE Developer

28 Mar 2017

Benedict wrote:Try these

https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2014/07/2 ... ple-logic/
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/05/2 ... organized/
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/09/0 ... aking-art/

As for each socket, as said they are all either and In or an Out. Just because there are a million of them, they are all either an In or an Out. You wire a signal-out into a signal-In so in a knife fight there are only ever two sockets in your mind at any moment.

Great point!
Was just going to say the same - realizing this simple reality suddenly made everything MUCH simpler in my mind, back when I was first learning all of this stuff. To further simplify, for each cable you see, there will be a corresponding input and output. So, one cable = one output to one input. This may all seem overly obvious to many, but when you're first starting out and staring at a giant patch bay full of cables (either IRL or in software), it's a good thing to keep in mind and will aid your understanding of the basic concepts involved IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

pushedbutton

28 Mar 2017

Science is only useful when dicking about fails.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2017

Dicking about leads to unwanted babies. Science leads to cool new things (and incredibly big bombs). LOL

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Gorgon

28 Mar 2017

pushedbutton wrote:Science is only useful when dicking about fails.
Dicking about is stupid when you have the time and resources to actually understand what you're doing.

Gorgon

28 Mar 2017

Data_Shrine wrote:Start easy, one thing at a time, simple things. Like a LFO to pitch.
This is loads of fun and a genuine "WOW" moment when you get it right, if you don't understand CV yet. Then you go to the filter, resonance, maybe attack or release and before you know it you got 6 LFO's going at the same time.

GRIFTY

29 Mar 2017

hmm i have a crazy idea: turn the rack around and start plugging and unplugging different shit in to see what it does

Gorgon

29 Mar 2017

Well, the TS hasn't replied anymore to any suggestions, which says a lot about his attention span, methinks.

Oquasec

29 Mar 2017

Learning reason is learning CV & Gate.
So learning cv in it's entirety.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Gorgon

29 Mar 2017

Oquasec wrote:Learning reason is learning CV & Gate.
So learning cv in it's entirety.
Learning yes. Using, no. But hey, if you ask how CV works, and you want to learn it, like I said, there are no short cuts.

Gorgon

29 Mar 2017

samsome wrote:yes but i don't know what some audio inputs outputs do, there's so many behind instruments, effects etc
This is kind of funny.

Input and output audio channels do the exact same thing, regardless of the device.

• Information