Exported project as a wave than i reimported to master for the first time ever in reason and wow!!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bonkhead

06 Mar 2017

I used to work that way, but now I do everything realtime.

So mix the whole track until the point I think it is finished, then I create a mix channel and use that steroe channel as my masteringbus (including my own presetchain).
That way I can always adjust small things in the mix if things sound a bit off when aplying the double ozone's (soft + IRC I) and stuff gets pushed back too much or needs to be brought more to the front.

This way I seperate the mix and mastering process like is normal but maintain total control of the whole song.
And I must say, I like this way much better than importing a stereo wave songfile, which I normally do for 3rd party mastering.

Taff

07 Mar 2017

I'd love to see a simplified "mastering chain" setup, I haven't the foggiest what that would be!

NekujaK

07 Mar 2017

Taff wrote:I'd love to see a simplified "mastering chain" setup, I haven't the foggiest what that would be!
Basic mastering chain: EQ --> Compressor --> Limiter

Some additional components are often included: EQ --> Stereo Imager --> Exciter --> Reverb -->> Compressor --> Limiter

The sequence of components can vary depending on the needs of the project. The Limiter is always last.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

C//AZM

07 Mar 2017

For mastering, my chain has before and after EQ. EQ before compression on a bus for correction work (usually all cuts) and EQ after compression is for sweetening. Surgical EQ before comp, tone shaping after comp.
On physical SSls the default is compressor first but from the G series on, you had a button which you could switch the chain to make the eq first...would be cool to have that button on the Reason SSL, even though there's dozens of workarounds for that.

Bonkhead

07 Mar 2017

Taff wrote:I'd love to see a simplified "mastering chain" setup, I haven't the foggiest what that would be!
This is my chain this year, placed between the SSL master output and the audio interface input

- Gain (khz)
- stereo width (khz)
- modified tilt EQ (synapse GQ7) *only if needed, otherwise bypassed
- stereo EQ large range (synapse GQ7) *only if needed, otherwise bypassed
- mid EQ large range (synapse GQ7) *only if needed, otherwise bypassed
- stereo EQ small range (REQ131)
- side EQ small range (REQ131)
- DQ band comp (precision bandcomp, low range, adjustable) *only if needed, otherwise bypassed
- DQ band comp (precision bandcomp, high range, adjustable) *only if needed, otherwise bypassed
- 4dyn multiband compressor *only if needed, otherwise bypassed
- ozone soft
- ozone irc I

Not forget re60, flower and re128 metering on the side to check everything. I have a large TMA-9 on the side with refference values from the best tracks in the genres I work in.

selig
RE Developer

07 Mar 2017

C//AZM wrote:For mastering, my chain has before and after EQ. EQ before compression on a bus for correction work (usually all cuts) and EQ after compression is for sweetening. Surgical EQ before comp, tone shaping after comp.
On physical SSls the default is compressor first but from the G series on, you had a button which you could switch the chain to make the eq first...would be cool to have that button on the Reason SSL, even though there's dozens of workarounds for that.
There is no "default" routing on the physical SSL. You have to choose when you insert the dynamics section.

The E and G both had buttons on the dynamics section labeled"Ch In" and "Ch Out", which put the dynamics before or after the EQ. This allowed you to choose whether to use the dynamics before (Ch In) or after (ch out) the EQ section.

There has never been a button on the SSL E/G EQ to change it's relationship to the dynamics…

The Reason SSL already has the option to choose the order of processing between EQ/Dynamics/Inserts - is this what you're asking about, or am I misunderstanding your post?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

C//AZM

07 Mar 2017

OH GEESH!!
at first I was like "NOPE you're wrong" but after checking... yes you're right! CH IN- CH OUT- MON.
I must be thinking of another console (Neve V?)or I'm just friggin forgetful and old. It's been a few years since I've worked on an SSL other than as a stand for a computer keyboard.

Data_Shrine

07 Mar 2017

NekujaK wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Than I exported it to a wav with 16 bit dithering. I probably should have exported as 24 bit. I imported the wav back into reason.
You always want dithering to be the last step in the process, so save the dithering until you're ready to output your final mastered recording. And yes, it's best to master in 24-bit, which also avoids any premature dithering opportunities, since Reason only dithers when rendering down to 16-bits.
I'm curious about Reason using dithering for 16 bit downsampling only. In Ableton you can add dither to 24 bit files. I never used Reason for
mastering. In the master for itunes process, I have to submit files in 48khz/24 bit minimum. So this would not be possible in Reason ?

mreese80

07 Mar 2017

Data_Shrine wrote:
NekujaK wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Than I exported it to a wav with 16 bit dithering. I probably should have exported as 24 bit. I imported the wav back into reason.
You always want dithering to be the last step in the process, so save the dithering until you're ready to output your final mastered recording. And yes, it's best to master in 24-bit, which also avoids any premature dithering opportunities, since Reason only dithers when rendering down to 16-bits.
I'm curious about Reason using dithering for 16 bit downsampling only. In Ableton you can add dither to 24 bit files. I never used Reason for
mastering. In the master for itunes process, I have to submit files in 48khz/24 bit minimum. So this would not be possible in Reason ?

You can do this in reason
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Taff

07 Mar 2017

Would someone kindly post a link to a .rns of a mastering chain? The explanations above are welcome and kind, but I'm sill at a loss as to how they would be routed, connected and used to be honest

(OK, so I'm thick, so sue me. :-D)

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

Taff wrote:Would someone kindly post a link to a .rns of a mastering chain? The explanations above are welcome and kind, but I'm sill at a loss as to how they would be routed, connected and used to be honest

(OK, so I'm thick, so sue me. :-D)
You can start by loading the default mastering template. That's how i started in the beginning
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

MitchClark89

08 Mar 2017

Bonkhead wrote:.
hi bonkhead sorry for the intrusion i have been reading this thread with great interests (excellent post mr reese80) and i put a blackknight eq on some guitars i tracked long time ago and notice just for the first time in search for some eq presets that i have a folder full of preset called "bonkhead - blackhead". forgive my ignorant, is this made by you :?: :)

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

MitchClark89 wrote:
Bonkhead wrote:.
hi bonkhead sorry for the intrusion i have been reading this thread with great interests (excellent post mr reese80) and i put a blackknight eq on some guitars i tracked long time ago and notice just for the first time in search for some eq presets that i have a folder full of preset called "bonkhead - blackhead". forgive my ignorant, is this made by you :?: :)

Thank you sir :D

Bonkhead

08 Mar 2017

Yes, I've been doing betatesting for some time now on multiple Re's, including preset making.

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

C//AZM wrote:OH GEESH!!
at first I was like "NOPE you're wrong" but after checking... yes you're right! CH IN- CH OUT- MON.
I must be thinking of another console (Neve V?)or I'm just friggin forgetful and old. It's been a few years since I've worked on an SSL other than as a stand for a computer keyboard.

Selig know's his shit man. The guy is very detailed and specific lol.

Taff

08 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote: You can start by loading the default mastering template. That's how i started in the beginning
Until you mentioned it, I never knew that existed, many thanks!!

So do I now, just throw in the effects I want into the rack?

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

Taff wrote:
mreese80 wrote: You can start by loading the default mastering template. That's how i started in the beginning

the default template is how i started until i got the hang of it. you have your eq, stereo imager, compressor and limiter. Make sure you turn on the 4 buttons as well. I also turn on the ssl and leave it as it is. i rarely make adjustments to it unless I'm using that compressor only. You can what you want to the chain. Wutever is good for you. :D

MitchClark89

08 Mar 2017

Bonkhead wrote:Yes, I've been doing betatesting for some time now on multiple Re's, including preset making.
that is so cool. i love how this community the newcomer can interact with such people as yourself, selig, joeyluck, normen, LAB ONE,small axe, qvprod and all the many more wonderful people to help us learn in a very practical way :thumbs_up: sorry to all the good helpers that i forgot! there are many!

ciao

MC

MitchClark89

08 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
Taff wrote:

the default template is how i started until i got the hang of it. you have your eq, stereo imager, compressor and limiter. Make sure you turn on the 4 buttons as well. I also turn on the ssl and leave it as it is. i rarely make adjustments to it unless I'm using that compressor only. You can what you want to the chain. Wutever is good for you. :D
hi mr reese just a quick question please- in your trials have you been exporting your mixed down .wav with SSL compressor on or off? or both versions? i am curious whether to leave off and use the master bus compressor in the master project instead

thank you

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

MitchClark89 wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
Taff wrote:

hi mr reese just a quick question please- in your trials have you been exporting your mixed down .wav with SSL compressor on or off? or both versions? i am curious whether to leave off and use the master bus compressor in the master project instead

thank you

i mix it down first without no mastering effects on at all. i export it in 24 bit and dithering is uncheck. I import the wave file back into reason. Next I apply my mastering effects. Than i export the file out as a 16 bit audio file with dithering on. If you have a limiter that has dithering options decide which one you want to use. dithering should only be applied once. I'm using the default maximizer for now so i apply dithering when i'm exporting the mastered file.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

09 Mar 2017

I have to say I'm really glad I stumbled onto this thread! Not mixing down into stereo files has held many projects in limbo for quite some time.

mreese80

09 Mar 2017

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:I have to say I'm really glad I stumbled onto this thread! Not mixing down into stereo files has held many projects in limbo for quite some time.

Glad it helped. I was just sharing my great experience after trying this method. :thumbs_up:

SA Studio

11 Mar 2017

That's super easy. Let me lay it out how simple = You need 4 components to Master digital Audio.

An EQ. (To taste, if at all)
A Compressor. (-2db Gain Reduction on a Bus Compressor will almost invariably make your audio smoother, thus being a "thing" people do)
A Stereo Widening Tool (to taste if at all)
A Limiter.

4 components. Are all you need to Master digital audio.

Gulale

11 Mar 2017

It would have been a lot easier if you put your youtube channel on your signature SA Studio. You have valuable tips there and make them easy to access.
Gulale aka Bereket

• Information