POLL: What version of Reason are you using?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What version of Reason are you using?

Reason 9
78%
Reason 8
11%
Reason 7
7%
Reason 6/6.5
2%
Reason 5 and lower
2%

Total votes: 393
joeyluck

07 Mar 2017

JJGreen wrote:
NekujaK wrote:
JJGreen wrote:No doubt there has been a poll like this in the past, but with the changes to the SDK and the potential for RE 2.0 non-compatibility, I'm hoping to get a bit of an idea of how many people are 'living in the dark ages' now
I'm partially in the dark ages since I'm on 9.0, which means no new SDK.
Why, when you can upgrade to 9.2 for free? I was of the mind that there are no RE compatibility issues, in fact that everything is roses for 9.2 users over all others.

For the poll questions, I consciously omitted point versions because they are free. Or maybe 6.5 wasn't, I don't know, I only bought in to Reason at 6.5 once it started having audio capabilities. Before that I was bootlegging version 4 :oops:
R6.5 was free. But you have them grouped together, so it's all good :thumbs_up:
An important note, if you change poll options, it resets the poll. I think the options you have make sense.

Some people simply don't get around to updating right away. Some folks on 9.0 might not have a need for Ableton Link or the new SDK 2.5 REs just yet. I know when I'm in middle of work projects, I don't typically update anything until after those projects are done. And sometimes after a show opens that I designed, I still wait for a few weeks into the run of the show (or when the show closes) before I update anything.

But other times, certain projects might prompt me to update; like the time I really needed the pitch edit function and updated from Reason 8.3 to 9.1 during a project. It's all about what you need and when you need it. Free updates or purchased upgrades, I try not to put too much thought into it. I get it when I need it and when I'm comfortable updating. I purchased R8 after 8.3 was released and R9 three months after 9.1 was released.

NekujaK

07 Mar 2017

JJGreen wrote:
NekujaK wrote:I'm partially in the dark ages since I'm on 9.0, which means no new SDK.
Why, when you can upgrade to 9.2 for free? I was of the mind that there are no RE compatibility issues, in fact that everything is roses for 9.2 users over all others.
Many years of experience with DAWs, NLEs, and image processing software, including some painful upgrading experiences, have taught me that it's always prudent to wait before upgrading. All the studio owners I know, never jump on the latest version of ProTools when it's released - it's too risky. They wait until all the kinks are worked out and there is sufficient downtime in the studio before performing and validating an upgrade.

No matter how good everyone else's experience is with an upgrade, it's never 100% foolproof on 100% of systems. Chances are, Reason 9.2 will run fine on my system, but Reason doesn't exist in a vacuum. There are dependencies on ASIO, MIDI, and controller drivers that can inadvertently be disrupted with any upgrade. There's nothing in 9.1 or 9.2 that I have a pressing need for, and with several projects in work, for both myself and clients, upgrading is not a necessity nor a priority.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

MannequinRaces

07 Mar 2017

9.2 here. Had to try out Proton. The future is looking very bright for REs. Either put on your shades and sunscreen or get burned (makes sizzling sound), haha. :)

ravisoni

07 Mar 2017

I did not expect these numbers. 75% of us on reason 9? That's mighty impressive.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

ScuzzyEye

07 Mar 2017

SDK 2.5 for all my REs regardless of if they need it or not!

(Trolling a little bit, but based on these numbers I won't hesitate about moving to 2.5 if there's the slightest reason.)

JJGreen

07 Mar 2017

NekujaK wrote:
JJGreen wrote:
NekujaK wrote:I'm partially in the dark ages since I'm on 9.0, which means no new SDK.
Many years of experience with DAWs, NLEs, and image processing software, including some painful upgrading experiences, have taught me that it's always prudent to wait before upgrading. All the studio owners I know, never jump on the latest version of ProTools when it's released - it's too risky. They wait until all the kinks are worked out and there is sufficient downtime in the studio before performing and validating an upgrade.

No matter how good everyone else's experience is with an upgrade, it's never 100% foolproof on 100% of systems. Chances are, Reason 9.2 will run fine on my system, but Reason doesn't exist in a vacuum. There are dependencies on ASIO, MIDI, and controller drivers that can inadvertently be disrupted with any upgrade. There's nothing in 9.1 or 9.2 that I have a pressing need for, and with several projects in work, for both myself and clients, upgrading is not a necessity nor a priority.
I believe that your concerns are mostly unfounded. Point updates in recent years have never broken anything. I think it was 8.3 that introduced the convolution reverb ability, in the form of the RV7000 Mk2. Was there any widespread technical issues that this point update created amongst the user community?

Using other DAWs though... I agree. It's often a nightmare. That's why I'm content to stay within the Reason platform.

ScuzzyEye

07 Mar 2017

JJGreen wrote:
NekujaK wrote:Many years of experience with DAWs, NLEs, and image processing software, including some painful upgrading experiences, have taught me that it's always prudent to wait before upgrading. All the studio owners I know, never jump on the latest version of ProTools when it's released - it's too risky. They wait until all the kinks are worked out and there is sufficient downtime in the studio before performing and validating an upgrade.

I believe that your concerns are mostly unfounded. Point updates in recent years have never broken anything. I think it was 8.3 that introduced the convolution reverb ability, in the form of the RV7000 Mk2. Was there any widespread technical issues that this point update created amongst the user community?
I'm with NekujaK, I love chasing the bleeding edge, but if I'm in the middle of an RE project, there's no way I'm upgrading my development tools.

There was a pretty serious show-stopper in 9.2.0. If you had "cardboard" replacements in a song file and saved it with 9.2.0 you couldn't re-open it. This was fixed in 9.2.1, but it took two weeks for it to be released. Being unable to work for 2 weeks could seriously hurt a professional (Yes, if you're making money using software you have backups, but having to restore files and worry about them corrupting again is enough to make someone take pause.)

Even the mighty Reason isn't free from bugs.

Skullture

07 Mar 2017

Using version

slightlyprog

07 Mar 2017

I'm on version 8 now but as soon as I finish the songs I am working on now I'll go up to version 9. I just don't want to disrupt anything right now as I am in the mixing stage and need everything to stay absolutely exactly where it is until I get final mixes. (and some use the Line 6 amps, which I assume will be gone in version 9)

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

I'm on 9.2 now. i already voted so i can't do it again
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:
mreese80 wrote:I'm on 9.2 now. i already voted so i can't do it again
You can update your vote now
ok, done. thanks man
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

OverneathTheSkyBridg

10 Mar 2017

On 8.3 with no Reason to switch as of yet. I'm concerned about a possible drop in performance as I'm running an older Mac (2009) so I may look into a new system beforehand.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

joeyluck

10 Mar 2017

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:On 8.3 with no Reason to switch as of yet. I'm concerned about a possible drop in performance as I'm running an older Mac (2009) so I may look into a new system beforehand.

I'm on a 2008 MacBook Pro and noticed no difference. I'm upgrading my MacBook Pro soon as I'd like to be able to run heftier QLab shows (with video) on it. But for now with Reason 9, it does the job.

And when I do upgrade, it will be to the last MacBook Pro model and not the Touch Bar model :puf_smile:

OverneathTheSkyBridg

10 Mar 2017

Hey good to know, maybe that fear is unfounded. I should probably just upgrade the stock 4GB RAM I'm currently using.

joeyluck

10 Mar 2017

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:Hey good to know, maybe that fear is unfounded. I should probably just upgrade the stock 4GB RAM I'm currently using.

I'm at 4GB of RAM which is the max my MBP will support.

4filegate

10 Mar 2017

I've bought SSD hard drives 550 MB/s of read/write speeds Raid 0 +/- 1000 MB/s, as we’re reaching the limit of what SATA 3 6GB/s can achieve.

"I'm not really thinking much, just sort of, trying to feel" ;)

SoundStruggler

10 Mar 2017

I'm using 9.0 to be exact. I'm waiting with upgrading to 9.2 because it's not clear to me what's involved with backward/forward compatibility with RE's, and I'm not experiencing any problems for now.

dtaki

10 Mar 2017

I'm still using Reason 6.5 because it's just become an instrument rack for my other software (Ableton, MainStage). Every time Reason updates, I take a look and say "hmm... not quite worth the upgrade yet." Maybe Reason 10 will change my mind? But as long as there's no updated Combinator (and/or ability to place combinators within combinators) and the VERY limited MIDI mapping capacity, I'll be staying with 6.5 and relying on other DAWs.

For example, I can't set one knob on my MIDI controller to control more than 1 parameter using remote override. Sure, I could set up a Combinator and route one button/knob to multiple parameters, but even that has limitations because not every parameter shows up as a modulation target (for example, the "Run" button in Dr Octo Rex, among others). And this workaround appears to be the only way to scale/invert MIDI mappings - I shouldn't have to load an instrument in a combinator just to do some basic MIDI mapping.

normen

10 Mar 2017

dtaki wrote:Maybe Reason 10 will change my mind?
I think Reason 9.5 will change many peoples minds ^^

househoppin09

10 Mar 2017

normen wrote:I think Reason 9.5 will change many peoples minds ^^
Do you know something we don't, Normen? ;)

gullum

11 Mar 2017

9.2 and will be on 9.5 or 10 the day it's released upgraded to 9 because of the pitch editor but still haven't got any vocals for my songs :D

Tumble

11 Mar 2017

normen wrote:
dtaki wrote:Maybe Reason 10 will change my mind?
I think Reason 9.5 will change many peoples minds ^^
VST bridge confirmed! ::::---D

EdGrip

11 Mar 2017

I expect there will be confounding factors - people who've gone to the trouble of finding a forum about Reason disproportionally likely to be early adopters, maybe other things too.

• Information