POLL: What version of Reason are you using?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What version of Reason are you using?

Reason 9
78%
Reason 8
11%
Reason 7
7%
Reason 6/6.5
2%
Reason 5 and lower
2%

Total votes: 393
JJGreen

05 Mar 2017

No doubt there has been a poll like this in the past, but with the changes to the SDK and the potential for RE 2.0 non-compatibility, I'm hoping to get a bit of an idea of how many people are 'living in the dark ages' now
Last edited by JJGreen on 05 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

05 Mar 2017

Great idea—probably good info for developers to see. Pinning this thread for now :puf_smile:

Even though we are just a small piece of the total number of Reason users, with a large enough sample, it should help give developers an idea of the percentage of users on each version.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2017

I'm still on Reason 7 and to be honest I feel pretty content.
Luckily I got Expanse when it came out so the 9.2 SDK issue is not really a problem for me.
I can't buy Proton at the moment, which is totally fine. I have plenty of REs to play with already. I could probably work with my current setup for years before running out of ideas and inspiration.
No hurry in upgrading for me. But I'm sure at some point there will be an amazing RE in the shop that I can't resist that requires me to upgrade.

esselfortium

05 Mar 2017

I'm on Reason 8 but will probably make the leap to 9 before long.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

JJGreen

05 Mar 2017

esselfortium wrote:I'm on Reason 8 but will probably make the leap to 9 before long.
Really? Although this is only speculation, I would surmise that we're midway between version releases, since the latest version was dispatched 9 months ago, and 7-8-9 was more or less an 18 month gap. So unless there's a specific need/want for the new features (which are only the players, the new platform capability and the vocal pitching).

In effect, upgrading now would only be half as valuable.

For me, I'm content to stay on 7 but am more or less committed to version 10 when it comes out. Even if it's another disappointing new feature offering, 3 x disappointing upgrades = 1 x value upgrade ! Well that's my hope.

Part of me wonders if it's going to bite me in the ass though, if Propellerhead decides to have tiered upgrade pricing next time.

Gulale

05 Mar 2017

I use 7 since 9 is eating up my CPU.
Gulale aka Bereket

mreese80

05 Mar 2017

Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2017

JJGreen wrote:
esselfortium wrote:I'm on Reason 8 but will probably make the leap to 9 before long.
Really? Although this is only speculation, I would surmise that we're midway between version releases, since the latest version was dispatched 9 months ago, and 7-8-9 was more or less an 18 month gap. So unless there's a specific need/want for the new features (which are only the players, the new platform capability and the vocal pitching).

For me, I'm content to stay on 7 but am more or less committed to version 10 when it comes out. Even if it's another disappointing new feature offering, 3 x disappointing upgrades = 1 x value upgrade ! Well that's my hope.

Part of me wonders if it's going to bite me in the ass though, if Propellerhead decides to have tiered upgrade pricing next time.
Don't forget the 1000 new patches..

I don't think we will see Reason 10 until 2018

So for a cost of a high grade RE you can upgrade Reason, if you are thinking about up grading esselfortium why wait?

As for the poll you can only vote once.. I have a license for 9 and 7.

joeyluck

05 Mar 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
JJGreen wrote:

Don't forget the 1000 new patches..

I don't think we will see Reason 10 until 2018

So for a cost of a high grade RE you can upgrade Reason, if you are thinking about up grading esselfortium why wait?

As for the poll you can only vote once.. I have a license for 9 and 7.
I think it would only be useful to have multiple selection if you could see the results clearly. So the poll would be a bit misleading don't you think? For instance, if only 10 people voted and all of them checked off both Reason 8 and 9, it would look like 20 users voted and 50% of them are on R8 and the other 50% on Reason 9...

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote: I think it would only be useful to have multiple selection if you could see the results clearly. So the poll would be a bit misleading don't you think? For instance, if only 10 people voted and all of them checked off both Reason 8 and 9, it would look like 20 users voted and 50% of them are on R8 and the other 50% on Reason 9...
Yep I can understand that OK...

AzureEyes

05 Mar 2017

R9

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JJGreen

05 Mar 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote: for a cost of a high grade RE you can upgrade Reason
You say that like it's a reasonable thing to do :lol:

I am not paying $280 to use eXpanse. Plenty of other things to use with my current version, and I have the patience to wait until 201 or Propellerheads next poor value release.

selig
RE Developer

06 Mar 2017

JJGreen wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote: for a cost of a high grade RE you can upgrade Reason
You say that like it's a reasonable thing to do :lol:

I am not paying $280 to use eXpanse. Plenty of other things to use with my current version, and I have the patience to wait until 201 or Propellerheads next poor value release.
You are correct - you're not paying $280 to use Expanse. You're paying $280 to upgrade Reason AND to use Expanse.

If that doesn't make sense for you to do, then of course don't do it. But you're getting more than just Expanse for your money. Whether it's worth it to you or not is a question only you can answer.
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Karim
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2017

JJGreen wrote:No doubt there has been a poll like this in the past, but with the changes to the SDK and the potential for RE 2.0 non-compatibility, I'm hoping to get a bit of an idea of how many people are 'living in the dark ages' now
9.2.1 (anyway the last one)

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Oquasec

06 Mar 2017

Version 5 [On tablets] and 8 [On desktops]
Might skip 9 depending on how that goes.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

BillyRayRansom

06 Mar 2017

Latest... 9.2

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Maxsu

06 Mar 2017

From 7 to 9 and it was worth it! :)

Sinistereo

06 Mar 2017

I'm very happy with 9.2. Every time that I load up R7 in order to work on old Line 6 projects, I realize how much better things are in R9.

HepCat

06 Mar 2017

Eh what, l'm bottom of the class.

NekujaK

06 Mar 2017

JJGreen wrote:No doubt there has been a poll like this in the past, but with the changes to the SDK and the potential for RE 2.0 non-compatibility, I'm hoping to get a bit of an idea of how many people are 'living in the dark ages' now
I'm partially in the dark ages since I'm on 9.0, which means no new SDK.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

lowpryo

06 Mar 2017

still on Reason 8. I was actually excited for 9 and even voted that I would buy it in a poll, but once it actually released my hype died down. and at this point I now feel like I should wait for 10 and buy both at once (first time doing that since I joined at Reason 6)

Bonkhead

06 Mar 2017

I was on 7 for ages.

Waited for 9 to come, bought 8 just a week before 9 came out so i have both versions if needed for the price of one upgrade :D

So yeah, 9.2.2 now

ScuzzyEye

06 Mar 2017

NekujaK wrote:I'm partially in the dark ages since I'm on 9.0, which means no new SDK.
Any reason you haven't downloaded your free updates? 9.2 is free for all owners of 9.

JJGreen

07 Mar 2017

NekujaK wrote:
I'm partially in the dark ages since I'm on 9.0, which means no new SDK.
Why, when you can upgrade to 9.2 for free? I was of the mind that there are no RE compatibility issues, in fact that everything is roses for 9.2 users over all others.

For the poll questions, I consciously omitted point versions because they are free. Or maybe 6.5 wasn't, I don't know, I only bought in to Reason at 6.5 once it started having audio capabilities. Before that I was bootlegging version 4 :oops:

madmacman

07 Mar 2017

Started with 6.0, bought the Update for 7 (mainly because of Midi Out) and skipped 8. Now I'm on 9.2 and probably will skip 10. Every 2nd release as upgrade seems to be a good and economic strategy.

• Information