Audiomatic: Tape phase issue

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Galaxy

04 Mar 2017

Anyone else notice the dry/wet to be useless on the tape setting? Pretty bad phase cancellation in the mid freqs. Makes the blend unusable in some situations.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2017

Yes I've noticed that too. It's either on or off when I use it, nothing in between.

Galaxy

04 Mar 2017

This kinda sucks, being able to blend a little tape in would be nice. Wonder if this has to do with latency, and props might beable to fix this in a future update. Have you noticed this issue with any of the other algos?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2017

Galaxy wrote:This kinda sucks, being able to blend a little tape in would be nice. Wonder if this has to do with latency, and props might beable to fix this in a future update. Have you noticed this issue with any of the other algos?
This Audiomatic tape setting blend issue was actually mentioned in a thread here recently somewhere.
Selig said that you can adjust the tape effect with the gain knob on the left. That goes for all settings. I haven't experimented with it myself yet but I will.
Some other settings have issues with the blend effect also. But from what I can hear it works well with several of them. I mostly use the blend on VHS, vinyl and bottom.

Even with its problems I still find Audiomatic as a whole a great plugin and I use it in every track I make, both for mixing purposes and creative purpsoese. I love it.
A favorite trick of mine is to take a somewhat rhythmic synth lead/pluck sound, then add reverb to it, then let it all go through the VHS setting. It enhances the attack and also boosts the reverb when the sound is less intense, sort of like a compressor but with some added EQ.
Here's an example, the saw lead starting at 0:55.

MassiveSoundStudios

04 Mar 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
Galaxy wrote:This kinda sucks, being able to blend a little tape in would be nice. Wonder if this has to do with latency, and props might beable to fix this in a future update. Have you noticed this issue with any of the other algos?
This Audiomatic tape setting blend issue was actually mentioned in a thread here recently somewhere.
Selig said that you can adjust the tape effect with the gain knob on the left. That goes for all settings. I haven't experimented with it myself yet but I will.
Some other settings have issues with the blend effect also. But from what I can hear it works well with several of them. I mostly use the blend on VHS, vinyl and bottom.

Even with its problems I still find Audiomatic as a whole a great plugin and I use it in every track I make, both for mixing purposes and creative purpsoese. I love it.
A favorite trick of mine is to take a somewhat rhythmic synth lead/pluck sound, then add reverb to it, then let it all go through the VHS setting. It enhances the attack and also boosts the reverb when the sound is less intense, sort of like a compressor but with some added EQ.
Here's an example, the saw lead starting at 0:55.
I've noticed this issue as well with the Tape setting. I haven't tried Giles's input gain "drive" suggestion yet, but since your post reminded me, I think I'll give it a shot. I also noticed that the VHS setting does something really nice to transients as well :)

By the way, that track you referenced is absolutely fantastic! I'm always so impressed with your melodies. The synths almost sound like distorted vocals. I'd love to take a look at that track if you're open to sharing the song file? Your music is very inspiring :D

Jan 2004

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2017

MassiveSoundStudios wrote:By the way, that track you referenced is absolutely fantastic! I'm always so impressed with your melodies. The synths almost sound like distorted vocals. I'd love to take a look at that track if you're open to sharing the song file? Your music is very inspiring :D
Thanks, appreciate it. I'm not completely comfortable sharing my song files with people on the internet unless it's for something specific like a song challenge or a collaboration of some sort. Nothing personal, I'm sure you're a trust worthy person, I just want to remain some sort of control over my music. Hope that's ok.
Besides the project uses about 20 rack extensions (just checked) so I'm not sure you'd be able to see/hear everything anyway.
But if you have any specific questions I'll glady answer and tell you what I've done though.

Regarding the voice/synth leads. The first one 0:12-0:33 is Parsec on one of its voicy waveforms.
The second one 0:33-0:55 is a recording of my voice, pitched up an octave, run through Disperser, distorted in Scream, run through Reasons Phaser and then some EQ to remove some unnecessary frequencies.

selig
RE Developer

04 Mar 2017

This issue is caused by the filters/EQ used to model the Ampex tape machine's response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Galaxy

04 Mar 2017

selig wrote:This issue is caused by the filters/EQ used to model the Ampex tape machine's response.

Did props intend for this smiley curve as a way to simulate what the Ampex sounded like, or is this an artifact from using filters in the algo?

selig
RE Developer

04 Mar 2017

Galaxy wrote:
selig wrote:This issue is caused by the filters/EQ used to model the Ampex tape machine's response.

Did props intend for this smiley curve as a way to simulate what the Ampex sounded like, or is this an artifact from using filters in the algo?
What smiley curve?

Selig Audio, LLC

Galaxy

04 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
Galaxy wrote:

What smiley curve?

Sorry I got mixed up, it's not a smiley curve, it's a notch at 600-700hz, and only happens when using the blend, must be phase cancellation.

TheGodOfRainbows

13 Sep 2017

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't happy with using Audiomatic Tape wet/dry knob. I don't understand, especially now with latency compensation, this issue exists. Turn the wet/dry to anything other than 100%, and all the presence and mids just go away. What gives?

Loque

14 Sep 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
13 Sep 2017
I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't happy with using Audiomatic Tape wet/dry knob. I don't understand, especially now with latency compensation, this issue exists. Turn the wet/dry to anything other than 100%, and all the presence and mids just go away. What gives?
PDC is only on channel and Combinator connections, so try to put automatic on a parallel channel with full wet. If it is different, automatic lacks internal delay compensation and you may ask PH to fix it.
Reason12, Win10

Ahornberg

14 Sep 2017

Has anyone tried other tape emulations like u-he Satin (has no dry/wet knob) or something else in parallel mode?
I guess there would be phase issues too.

Marco Raaphorst

14 Sep 2017

VHS mode has a very sharp attack. I have used VHS a lot back in the day for storing some music on. it doesn't do this. I love some of the artefacts the VHS mode generates, it's over the top but funny, but the sharp attack always causes problems for me. probably a compressor which has the wrong setting imo.

• Information