Can i bring down all the levels of tracks in the mixer all at once without routing to a bus?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mreese80

01 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
Raveshaper wrote:In short, the answer is no. Not like what you are asking.

The technical answer, however, is yes.

EDIT: this is not just a graphic, this is a working prototype.

@selig, didn't see your question in the other thread. It would be difficult to get them to track in perfect proportion to each other, but you can see that they're relative in terms of initial positions in this example.
If they don't track equally, that is to say that if I lower the master by 6 dB and all faders don't also lower by EXACTLY 6 dB, then it's not useful, right? This issue with Reason's faders was one reason I added VCA Fader ability to Selig Gain - though it's not as easy as a built in VCA fader group, it is to my knowledge the only way to achieve precise gain control across multiple channels. Note, faders do not move when using Selig Gain in this way…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with you Selig. If all the faders don't lower equally, it's not useful imo.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

lowpryo

01 Mar 2017

it could be useful as a creative effect, I'd love to hear how it sounds, but yeah ideally it wouldn't be proportional

Bonkhead

01 Mar 2017

pushedbutton wrote:I like busses.
Made me think of Final Destination 1 :roll:

C//AZM

03 Mar 2017

Looks like they're all designed to reach the bottom of the fader throw (infinity) all at the same time. Wouldn't it be better to make them move the same distance at the same time? It wouldn't be perfect, but it would create the hypothetical -6db move for at least some of the run. In fact, it would probably work all the way down.

selig
RE Developer

03 Mar 2017

C//AZM wrote:Looks like they're all designed to reach the bottom of the fader throw (infinity) all at the same time. Wouldn't it be better to make them move the same distance at the same time? It wouldn't be perfect, but it would create the hypothetical -6db move for at least some of the run. In fact, it would probably work all the way down.
The Reason faders do not have a linear response with regard to distance moved. In other words, one pixel does not equal the same amount of gain change at the top compared to the bottom (or anywhere else).

So you cannot tie decibels to distance with the big mixer faders, unfortunately.

BTW…
When you DO have proper fader grouping, all faders SHOULD reach the bottom at the same time because they are scaled from the bottom (zero) up.

Selig Audio, LLC

C//AZM

03 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
C//AZM wrote:Looks like they're all designed to reach the bottom of the fader throw (infinity) all at the same time. Wouldn't it be better to make them move the same distance at the same time? It wouldn't be perfect, but it would create the hypothetical -6db move for at least some of the run. In fact, it would probably work all the way down.
The Reason faders do not have a linear response with regard to distance moved. In other words, one pixel does not equal the same amount of gain change at the top compared to the bottom (or anywhere else).

So you cannot tie decibels to distance with the big mixer faders, unfortunately.
Hmmm...ok I guess I was thinking MIDI wise.I know I said distance, but I was thinking like vol 64(or whatever) down -6(or whatever) db. I know they mimic VCAs but aren't they really just MIDI automated faders?
selig wrote: BTW…
When you DO have proper fader grouping, all faders SHOULD reach the bottom at the same time because they are scaled from the bottom (zero) up.

Doh!

selig
RE Developer

03 Mar 2017

C//AZM wrote:
selig wrote:

Hmmm...ok I guess I was thinking MIDI wise.I know I said distance, but I was thinking like vol 64(or whatever) down -6(or whatever) db. I know they mimic VCAs but aren't they really just MIDI automated faders?
selig wrote: BTW…

Doh!
As for MIDI values, it would totally depend on how they were mapped to decibels. The Reason "way" of mapping MIDI to Decibels is not linear, so it's not really a solution either unfortunately.
Selig Audio, LLC

mreese80

04 Mar 2017

I keep hearing about your Selig Gain. I'm staring at in the shop.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

etyrnal

05 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:Is this possible? It is in pro tools. just wondering
This is the whole point of using a bus

etyrnal

05 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:You know what's weird? If you use ReTouch, you can link channels together and control as many faders as you want. So how hard would it be to put a little chain icon on the SSL to do the same? Even if only for temporary adjustments?
This should've been in reason record, no later than reason 6. We can this other daws and have been able to for years. Hell, Fl Studio still has features other daws don't but i just can't get into it.
I personally don't want reason to be like other Daws. Otherwise I would just use the other Daws.

C//AZM

05 Mar 2017

etyrnal wrote:
It's not the same. It can be in a lot of instances but it's as the OP stated, the ability to move faders without creating a bus is sometimes important. Sometimes you don't want to create a bus just to bring 12 random faders from the top of the throw.
If only we had a digital pencil laying beneath the faders LOL!

selig
RE Developer

05 Mar 2017

etyrnal wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:You know what's weird? If you use ReTouch, you can link channels together and control as many faders as you want. So how hard would it be to put a little chain icon on the SSL to do the same? Even if only for temporary adjustments?
This should've been in reason record, no later than reason 6. We can this other daws and have been able to for years. Hell, Fl Studio still has features other daws don't but i just can't get into it.
I personally don't want reason to be like other Daws. Otherwise I would just use the other Daws.
I don't get that - there are many cars that are just like other cars, but I still prefer some over others. There is lots of music that is "like" other music, but I still prefer some over others.

In other words…
Reason can be "like" other DAWs and not "be" other DAWs. I mean, how many DAWs are already "like" other DAWs, and yet we still prefer one over another.

When Reason added audio, some said "now it's just like every other DAW". But it's not! You can't judge a tool by it's feature list - it's the "whole" that determines how we feel about it. It's the UI, it's the features, it's the colors the layout the size and proportion of things, and on and on.

So, even if Reason had exactly the same feature list as Pro Tools, it would implement these features in it's own unique way and still be "Reason" IMO.

Plus, there are some features that are universal. If Reason couldn't play by hitting the space bar, or save files by hitting command S or choosing "save" in the menu, etc. then it would be far less useful for my work.

Selig Audio, LLC

mreese80

05 Mar 2017

etyrnal wrote:

It's not the same. I don't want a bus all the time

mreese80

05 Mar 2017

C//AZM wrote:
etyrnal wrote:
It's not the same. It can be in a lot of instances but it's as the OP stated, the ability to move faders without creating a bus is sometimes important. Sometimes you don't want to create a bus just to bring 12 random faders from the top of the throw.
If only we had a digital pencil laying beneath the faders LOL!

Exactly

mreese80

05 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
etyrnal wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
I don't get that - there are many cars that are just like other cars, but I still prefer some over others. There is lots of music that is "like" other music, but I still prefer some over others.

In other words…
Reason can be "like" other DAWs and not "be" other DAWs. I mean, how many DAWs are already "like" other DAWs, and yet we still prefer one over another.

When Reason added audio, some said "now it's just like every other DAW". But it's not! You can't judge a tool by it's feature list - it's the "whole" that determines how we feel about it. It's the UI, it's the features, it's the colors the layout the size and proportion of things, and on and on.

So, even if Reason had exactly the same feature list as Pro Tools, it would implement these features in it's own unique way and still be "Reason" IMO.

Plus, there are some features that are universal. If Reason couldn't play by hitting the space bar, or save files by hitting command S or choosing "save" in the menu, etc. then it would be far less useful for my work.

Right.

C//AZM

05 Mar 2017

Although I would prefer to command or option or control click one button, we have the "defeat all mutes" and "defeat all solos" buttons and they're very handy. And as Selig mentioned, almost all computer programs have a lot of the same functions. This would fall into that category of standard functions most applications have.

mreese80

05 Mar 2017

C//AZM wrote:Although I would prefer to command or option or control click one button, we have the "defeat all mutes" and "defeat all solos" buttons and they're very handy. And as Selig mentioned, almost all computer programs have a lot of the same functions. This would fall into that category of standard functions most applications have.
i agree man. I'm about workflow. there are things i have in other daws that i would love to have in reason but i make due. Things i used to cry about for years i don't anymore. i would still like to load up my vsts in reason. i got tired of rewiring with ableton. but now damn near every daws allows you to bounce to midi to audio. This is what i love about akai mpc software. i can bounce midi to audio, than i can drag straight from that daw into reason. Perfect fix for me. Is there a shortcut for making mixer tracks? I know there is one for audio tracks but not mixer strips. That would speed up things just a lil bit faster also.

C//AZM

05 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:Is there a shortcut for making mixer tracks?
You mean the one single thing that everyone does more than anything else? NOPE!

mreese80

05 Mar 2017

C//AZM wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Is there a shortcut for making mixer tracks?
You mean the one single thing that everyone does more than anything else? NOPE!
Damn. I keep hoping it's hidden somewhere lol. Cntrl makes a new audio track, i still hit cntrl M hoping one day a mixer channel would appear. I don't know why it's not a shorcut. I duplicate it once i've added it buy i would love to bypass the right click method.

SA Studio

05 Mar 2017

etyrnal wrote:
Please read the thread.

There's multiple examples given of WHY it's totally improper to use a bus for this.

This has nothing at all to do with Reason being like other DAWs.

When's there's people whose whole career revolves around audio, mixing, and producing asking for this feature........they may just be onto something. :reason:

etyrnal

06 Mar 2017

SA Studio wrote:
When's there's people whose whole career revolves around audio, mixing, and producing asking for this feature........they may just be onto something. :reason:
Well obviously if their career depends on it, they are using the wrong DAW if they are using Reason.

C//AZM

06 Mar 2017

etyrnal wrote:
SA Studio wrote:
Well obviously if their career depends on it, they are using the wrong DAW if they are using Reason.
WTF? Lol really? you know this is just butt-ass wrong right? Do you have any data to back-up this proclamation?

etyrnal

06 Mar 2017

C//AZM wrote:
etyrnal wrote:
SA Studio wrote:
WTF? Lol really? you know this is just butt-ass wrong right? Do you have any data to back-up this proclamation?
Doesn't need any backup "data" other than the "butt-ass" obvious absence of the feature that's so essential to the profession. How is this not obvious to even the simplest test of suitability?

If a tool doesn't perform an essential function for a profession, then it would be pretty unprofessional to keep using that inadequate tool if there exists other professional tools that DO perform the crucial functions -- to use anything less is an insult to the many clients who are counting on professional results.

How's that not plainly obvious?

C//AZM

06 Mar 2017

A hammer doesn't do well with screws. However, with just a small adjustment-by adding a claw- a hammer can also remove nails. Pros use many tools and it's not uncommon for a person to wish that a much used tool also had some other feature. DAWs evolve as do most tools. That's why you can clip wires or nails with some pliers.

The absence of one or two out of thousands of features is a poor "test of suitability" and doesn't render the tool inadequate, but the addition of that feature makes it more useful.

How does it not seem obvious that this isn't an "all or nothing" prospect. I don't think anyone stated that it was.

Ollie

13 Mar 2018

Raveshaper wrote:
01 Mar 2017
In short, the answer is no. Not like what you are asking.

The technical answer, however, is yes.

EDIT: this is not just a graphic, this is a working prototype.

@selig, didn't see your question in the other thread. It would be difficult to get them to track in perfect proportion to each other, but you can see that they're relative in terms of initial positions in this example.

How did you do this? :shock:

Not sure if moving all faders at once is still a missing feature in version 10, cause I'm still on version 9.

• Information