Can i bring down all the levels of tracks in the mixer all at once without routing to a bus?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mreese80

25 Feb 2017

Is this possible? It is in pro tools. just wondering
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2017

Bottom line answer no, not the way you are wanting it to be like protools, of course to bring all the levels down at once there is the master fader....

C//AZM

25 Feb 2017

You mean like pressing command or option and moving one fader and everything moves up/down at the same time relatively?

NO. I wish we did.
It's a long wished for function and often argued over for some reason. Somebody even made a cool looking graphic about it.
There are several threads about it... here's one;

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7492395

mreese80

25 Feb 2017

C//AZM wrote:You mean like pressing command or option and moving one fader and everything moves up/down at the same time relatively?

NO. I wish we did.
It's a long wished for function and often argued over for some reason. Somebody even made a cool looking graphic about it.

yes. I know we can route it to a buss but i would like to be able to do it like pro tools sometimes. It's the little things that count. Maybe one day
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

mreese80

25 Feb 2017

C//AZM wrote:You mean like pressing command or option and moving one fader and everything moves up/down at the same time relatively?

NO. I wish we did.

And thanks for the answering. I can quit researching now :thumbs_up:

FGL

25 Feb 2017

Yes, you can do this. But not inside the main mixer. This is needed if you want to have a fade in or fade out for the whole song but you don't want to touch the master fader for this task. You can create second "master fadings" as much as you want inside the master section. You only need to automate some device that has a loudness knob. I use mostly stereo splitter cause in my setup it is always there. But one can also route everything through any device that does nothing more than audio routing and has some loudness knob like the small mixer.

Creativemind

25 Feb 2017

NO. I wish we did.

Yeah why wasn't ganged faders added in Reason 7 along with grouping? it's a pretty basic feature really. Most daw's have had this for probably about 8 years and we're still waiting.

Before anyone says bussing, this is an entirely different process and not the same thing, and I don't want to create a new channel with a red fader making my mixer look messy and unprofessional 'cause there'd be a buss channel for no reason other that to reduce volume. That's like saying if my car stereo is too loud, instead of turning the volume down, I should pull over and step out of the car, shut the doors and stick my fingers in my ears. See....it's quieter. Not quiet enough? stand further away and stop moaning lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

SA Studio

25 Feb 2017

No. And you should be able to. It is a feature we should have. It's a crying shame it has not been implemented yet. :lightbulb: :reason:

pushedbutton

25 Feb 2017

I like busses.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

mreese80

25 Feb 2017

SA Studio wrote:No. And you should be able to. It is a feature we should have. It's a crying shame it has not been implemented yet. :lightbulb: :reason:

Right. The things reason should have it doesn't. i dont want to route everthing through busses.

SA Studio

26 Feb 2017

mreese80 wrote:
SA Studio wrote:No. And you should be able to. It is a feature we should have. It's a crying shame it has not been implemented yet. :lightbulb: :reason:

Right. The things reason should have it doesn't. i dont want to route everthing through busses.
That list isn't very long, that's for sure.

But yes, it's totally missing. And as someone else mentioned, slapping another track in Reason's already non-collapsable tracks in the mixer adding another Red Slider and Channel to the board is not the remedy to the situation. It's just not a proper work-around. I have hope ;) :reason:

Just a quick and perfect example of why and when you may need to do this: I dunked 34 tracks that were tracked in a another DAW with a few of them also being tracked at a third place. I dunked all 34 tracks into Reason, and pretty much needed this feature. I use it in other DAWs all the time.
It's very basic and something you just may need once in a while.

Bus tracks aren't remotely the same thing.

chimp_spanner

26 Feb 2017

You know what's weird? If you use ReTouch, you can link channels together and control as many faders as you want. So how hard would it be to put a little chain icon on the SSL to do the same? Even if only for temporary adjustments?

mreese80

26 Feb 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:You know what's weird? If you use ReTouch, you can link channels together and control as many faders as you want. So how hard would it be to put a little chain icon on the SSL to do the same? Even if only for temporary adjustments?
This should've been in reason record, no later than reason 6. We can this other daws and have been able to for years. Hell, Fl Studio still has features other daws don't but i just can't get into it.

HepCat

26 Feb 2017

Seems like Reason devs have adopted the classic builders' model, and adapted it to building a DAW, i.e. of the 20 devs, 4 are watching the others work, 2 left work early for the day because a fistfight broke out, 2 are walking around with a clipboard, 1 is in the temporary office on the phone.

Nah, that still doesn't explain the slow progress, 11 devs could still cook up a superfly iteration of Reason that not only catches up but overtakes others.

mreese80

26 Feb 2017

HepCat wrote:Seems like Reason devs have adopted the classic builders' model, and adapted it to building a DAW, i.e. of the 20 devs, 4 are watching the others work, 2 left work early for the day because a fistfight broke out, 2 are walking around with a clipboard, 1 is in the temporary office on the phone.

Nah, that still doesn't explain the slow progress, 11 devs could still cook up a superfly iteration of Reason that not only catches up but overtakes others.
I agree. Reason is always slow and behind everybody. I've learned to make do with most things because for some time vst support was my main request. But now we bounce audio to midi in almost all daws and drag directly into reason i no longer care. But there is no way the mixer should lack anything.

Koncide

26 Feb 2017

Creativemind wrote: Yeah why wasn't ganged faders added in Reason 7 along with grouping? it's a pretty basic feature really. Most daw's have had this for probably about 8 years and we're still waiting.

Before anyone says bussing, this is an entirely different process and not the same thing, and I don't want to create a new channel with a red fader making my mixer look messy and unprofessional 'cause there'd be a buss channel for no reason other that to reduce volume. That's like saying if my car stereo is too loud, instead of turning the volume down, I should pull over and step out of the car, shut the doors and stick my fingers in my ears. See....it's quieter. Not quiet enough? stand further away and stop moaning lol!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why don't the mythical creatures over at Prop do something? This should of been a feature right at launch of the big mixer back with Record. We've had 3 whole new releases of Reason since then. Sort it out fellas.
Ambient garage vibes.

Gaja

27 Feb 2017

Yeah people have been freaking out about this for ages and rightfully so. Same goes for record enabling sequencer tracks. I'm not very convinced it's necessary to click 20 times just to get ready to record. However since I've adapted the -12dB Peak rule (anything goes into the mixer at -12dB peak) I've not encountered a situation where I'd have really needed to move all faders at once. There's enough room to add or turn up things without going red.
Also helps when importing 34 tracks from another DAW. Just select all audio clips, normalize, set to -12 dB, done.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Cheers!
Fredhoven

mreese80

27 Feb 2017

Gaja wrote:Yeah people have been freaking out about this for ages and rightfully so. Same goes for record enabling sequencer tracks. I'm not very convinced it's necessary to click 20 times just to get ready to record. However since I've adapted the -12dB Peak rule (anything goes into the mixer at -12dB peak) I've not encountered a situation where I'd have really needed to move all faders at once. There's enough room to add or turn up things without going red.
Also helps when importing 34 tracks from another DAW. Just select all audio clips, normalize, set to -12 dB, done.

It can come in handy sometimes. So leveling all tracks at -12 db before you start mixing is your starting point?

SA Studio

27 Feb 2017

It's just time they added it.

mreese80

27 Feb 2017

SA Studio wrote:It's just time they added it.
I agree. The mixer is to advanced not to have this feature. I won't die without but i'd love to have it in reason. A few small tweaks will do wonders for reason and even make the workflow in some situations even faster. I've been without it since record so i'll survive but damn props.

Gaja

28 Feb 2017

@mreese80 exactly that's my starting point. That's not to say it's good advice for everyone of course, but for me it gives a feeling of security, knowing that everything is levelled, so that even with all tracks playing I won't clip and even have enough room to boost this or that a dB or two.
Also, like Selig explaines from time to time, the channelstrip in the SSL expects your signal to peak at -12dB, which is important especially for the compressor.
Also I like the fact that levels while mixing are overall quieter. I prefer to mix quietly, as it tends to be much easier on the ears, which makes it possible to listen more closely and concentrated and for longer periods.
Of course I don't believe that this method will work equally well for everyone, but the more perspectives there are, the more you'll be able to explore and eventually expand your horizon accordingly.

Cheers!
Fredhoven

mreese80

28 Feb 2017

Gaja wrote:@mreese80 exactly that's my starting point. That's not to say it's good advice for everyone of course, but for me it gives a feeling of security, knowing that everything is levelled, so that even with all tracks playing I won't clip and even have enough room to boost this or that a dB or two.
Also, like Selig explaines from time to time, the channelstrip in the SSL expects your signal to peak at -12dB, which is important especially for the compressor.
Also I like the fact that levels while mixing are overall quieter. I prefer to mix quietly, as it tends to be much easier on the ears, which makes it possible to listen more closely and concentrated and for longer periods.
Of course I don't believe that this method will work equally well for everyone, but the more perspectives there are, the more you'll be able to explore and eventually expand your horizon accordingly.

ok and thank you for your info. i never mixed low until i got into reason. I started doing research about the ssl mixer and mixing in reason and thats when i started coming across the right way to do things. It was kinda hard mixing at low levels for me at first but i've gotten the hang of it. i didn't realize how wrong i was doing things until i started doing them right. I noticed that when i had all tracks at -10db the master would be -12db. So i tried bringing them all down to -12 and the master was -10. Reason has taught me a lot overall. If it wasn't for me diving into reason and wanting to do everything in reason instead of mixing in another daw i would still be doing it my way. Research sure pays off. thanks again man

Raveshaper

01 Mar 2017

In short, the answer is no. Not like what you are asking.

The technical answer, however, is yes.

EDIT: this is not just a graphic, this is a working prototype.

@selig, didn't see your question in the other thread. It would be difficult to get them to track in perfect proportion to each other, but you can see that they're relative in terms of initial positions in this example.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

mreese80

01 Mar 2017

Raveshaper wrote:In short, the answer is no. Not like what you are asking.

@selig, didn't see your question in the other thread. It would be difficult to get them to track in perfect proportion to each other, but you can see that they're relative in terms of initial positions in this example.
That way would work even though it looks like you routed to a buss first. But the buss still brings down the track faders visibly. Cool

selig
RE Developer

01 Mar 2017

Raveshaper wrote:In short, the answer is no. Not like what you are asking.

If they don't track equally, that is to say that if I lower the master by 6 dB and all faders don't also lower by EXACTLY 6 dB, then it's not useful, right? This issue with Reason's faders was one reason I added VCA Fader ability to Selig Gain - though it's not as easy as a built in VCA fader group, it is to my knowledge the only way to achieve precise gain control across multiple channels. Note, faders do not move when using Selig Gain in this way…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information