Help me manage midi clips

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
OreoSplitter

05 Feb 2017

I'm close to buying Reason but one think is holding me back. In caustic (an android app) I can save midi clips as patterns in banks. So I could have a couple different versions of a measure. In the sequencer just select from what bank and it would be there. Plus I could flip through the bank to see all the versionsame I have and select the one I want I want. This helped me out a lot like creating slight variations of measure to be on say a B section. Or i could just try new things but always have the original. I don't see anything like this in reason.
Maybe I don't need that option and can somehow use lanes or second instance of reason. I was hoping regroove was a midi clip bank but nope. There are 2 rack extension sequencer that kinda do this but that would be like replacing the nice sequence for a crap looking one. At which point why even use reason. The browser would be fine if I could preview in a window what the midi clip looks like before selecting on.
A lot of the time I create most of the songs content in one day. Those days are great. The it's a few weeks creating variations of everything and slapping it all together into a song. Any experienced users out there, hope you can help me u Der stand a good way to approach this where I can keep things organized, visual, and not flip through browser 1 by 1 until I happen to find yep, it was clip B2.

OreoSplitter

05 Feb 2017

Studio one has layers pool browser. With promote layer I could have 4 version of the same measure and choose which one goes to the main one, the top one. The pool feature in the file browser shows different takes which I have not looked into much but it does show a preview. I could name A1 ABC AC AD B1 B2 where A and b are different measures each their own versions. Reason has no visual preview. I have to load each one until I get lucky. Using lanes I would have to mute and unmute. Collapsing lanes I don't think would push all unmute parts up. So I would see main track with muted parts I am not using. Bouncing would fix but it's more clutter keeping old lanes just in case. The layers system seems so much better as its never permanent but looks permanent collapsed.
I like rack extensions but this basic stuff. The more I look at other programs the new features in 9 aren't exclusive to reason. So we have missing basic functionality and updates are just matching what others already have.

WongoTheSane

05 Feb 2017

You could use the Blocks mode: place all your clips in a Block, duplicate it as needed and mute/unmute the clips as you go. I'm not sure that's exactly what you're after though, better check for yourself:

JCBendock

05 Feb 2017

Not sure I completely understand but have you looked at blocks? It sounds like you could use them to do what you want.

• Information