MacBook Pro 2016 15" 2.7Ghz Touch Bar and Reason9 performance.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
boiltheocean120

13 Jan 2017

Hi,

just upgraded to new MBP 2016 15" i7 2.7Ghz (Radeon 460) and tested Reason (internal sound chip) and was horrified of the performance.

I loaded some of my songs which were made in my Mac Mini Late 2012 internal sound chip also (Which were running fine on 256 buffer).

New MBP STRUGGLES (cpu peaks and song has major stutter, CPU limit is none on both) with the same songs which run fine on 4 year old Mac. I have to increase the buffer to 512 / 1024 and suffer from latency.

It also seems that Reason has some issue with displaying graphics (no bugs) but when you minimize the Reason screen you get less stutter (retina giving too heavy load ?).

Also Touch Bar F4 (keyboard midikeys) works randomly.

I ran disk speed tests and cpu bench marks and got top results. Is it possible that internal soundchip is so "shitty" on newer Macs?

Gaja

13 Jan 2017

IIRC TheoM did extensive tests on mac book pro performance and concluded that something in the OS causes Reason to lag. When you install Windows on it, it'll be as powerful as it should be...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Cheers!
Fredhoven

aisling

13 Jan 2017

Gaja wrote:IIRC TheoM did extensive tests on mac book pro performance and concluded that something in the OS causes Reason to lag. When you install Windows on it, it'll be as powerful as it should be...

I wonder if this is hardware or software related? Could it apply to other macs with the latest OS, and not just the latest mbp releases?

Goriila Texas

14 Jan 2017

aisling wrote:
Gaja wrote:IIRC TheoM did extensive tests on mac book pro performance and concluded that something in the OS causes Reason to lag. When you install Windows on it, it'll be as powerful as it should be...

I wonder if this is hardware or software related? Could it apply to other macs with the latest OS, and not just the latest mbp releases?
OS since it works when using windows on a mac.

Fig

14 Jan 2017

I quit useing OSX on my 2012 MacBook Pro for music. Put Win 10 on it, and it does so much better. I thing Apples (Tim Cook) focus is on mobile devices and theyare pushing there computer biz to the back. I used to be a Mac guy, but IMHO Windows is now better for music production. I still use OSX for every thing else though.
Dell desktop Win 10 /2012 MacBook Pro / Komplete Audio 6
Cubase Pro 10/ Reason Intro 11

Koncide

18 Jan 2017

I actually have the opposite experience of this. Maybe 4 years ago, Reason 6 ran horribly on my windows 7 gaming PC, and beautifully on my mid-2012 MBpro.

Though I have yet to actually try Reason on Windows 10, so who knows maybe things are different now.
Ambient garage vibes.

moneykube

18 Jan 2017

Koncide wrote:
I actually have the opposite experience of this. Maybe 4 years ago, Reason 6 ran horribly on my windows 7 gaming PC, and beautifully on my mid-2012 MBpro.

Though I have yet to actually try Reason on Windows 10, so who knows maybe things are different now.
mid-2012 works fine , I bought that one because at the time reviews for it and Reason were good. mine is still kicking running mountain lion. I think apple changed to some unstable transistors or something in some of the later releases. not sure where I read that as it's been awhile
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

satyr32

10 Feb 2017

today i got the MBP 2016 15" i7 2.9Ghz (Radeon 460). i was and i am and i will still be shocked how bad the performance is. before i had a mid 2014 macbook pro with 2.2Ghz i7 and it performs better than the new one. I AM ANGRY AND SCHOCKED. i tried other audio software like Reaktor 5, and the new macbook performs better about 10 to 15%, exactly what i expected and what it should do. So the bad audio performance is only related to Reason altough i also heard of problems with Logic.
The bad performance in Reason might be because it uses only single core and altough the new processors are overall better if they use more than one core, maybe the single cores perform worse.
oh dear, i am angry. i cannot believe this.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

moneykube

10 Feb 2017

how much ram in it?

satyr32

10 Feb 2017

16GB RAM. I just did a benchmark test with the new and the old. As expected the new one beats the old in every regards. Except the Memory Bandwith is a bit lower and AES encryption.

I really hope that either the next OSX update or the next Reason update can fix this. at the moment the best option i guess is to install Windows too and run Reason there. As other people stated it can double the performance.

tiker01

10 Feb 2017

I am on Windows laptop but AFAIK turning retina for Reason helps.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

moneykube

10 Feb 2017

satyr32 wrote:16GB RAM. I just did a benchmark test with the new and the old. As expected the new one beats the old in every regards. Except the Memory Bandwith is a bit lower and AES encryption.

I really hope that either the next OSX update or the next Reason update can fix this. at the moment the best option i guess is to install Windows too and run Reason there. As other people stated it can double the performance.
that is strange... could be the newer os,s.... I'm running mid 2012... i6gb ram, 2,6ghz intel core i7 os10.8.5 works ok for me...
yours "should" be .3 times faster

jivemaster

11 Feb 2017

For those having performance issues, have you tried running reason with "Open in Low Resolution" mode? (right click Reason icon > Get Info > tick Open in Low Resolution mode). Reason has had some performance issues since retina resolutions were introduced. My Mac Pro 2013 (trashcan) suffered from bad performance until I enabled this setting (I run it on a 4K monitor). After the setting is enabled performance is solid.

tumar

11 Feb 2017

satyr32 wrote:today i got the MBP 2016 15" i7 2.9Ghz (Radeon 460). i was and i am and i will still be shocked how bad the performance is. before i had a mid 2014 macbook pro with 2.2Ghz i7 and it performs better than the new one. I AM ANGRY AND SCHOCKED. i tried other audio software like Reaktor 5, and the new macbook performs better about 10 to 15%, exactly what i expected and what it should do. So the bad audio performance is only related to Reason altough i also heard of problems with Logic.
The bad performance in Reason might be because it uses only single core and altough the new processors are overall better if they use more than one core, maybe the single cores perform worse.
oh dear, i am angry. i cannot believe this.
I just bought Macbook Pro i7 2.2 ghz 15" (2015), previously I used ancient Macbook C2D from 2008. Newer one is faster, but performance jump isn't big as it should result from C2D vs. i7 difference. It's only Reason problem. Studio One and Ableton Live works like a charm (Ableton Live allows me to get buffer size as low as 27 samples and non-existent latency with live stage projects).
Problem lies also with Rack Extensions and their poor CPU performance. It was shocking, when I jump from Reason-Predator project (110% CPU, latency and crackles) to very similar Studio One-NI Massive-NI Guitar Rig project (about 30% CPU).

But... and it doesn't make any sense - famous Kategra's R8 stress file works better on MB Pro i7 2.2 (40 s.) than faster iMac i7 3.5 ghz (36 s)!

P.S don't give such importance to benchmarks. Usually benchmarks results has nothing to do with reality.

satyr32

11 Feb 2017

yep. the older 2.2 i7 performs better than the new 2.7 or 2.9 Ghz @ the R8 stress test song. Even though they have both 16GM RAM the RAM that comes with the 2.2 is faster. 2.2 has 13.75 nanoseconds latency and 2.9 has 15 nanoseconds latency.

miscend

12 Feb 2017

Are you running Sierra on both?

Marco Raaphorst

12 Feb 2017

satyr32 wrote:yep. the older 2.2 i7 performs better than the new 2.7 or 2.9 Ghz @ the R8 stress test song. Even though they have both 16GM RAM the RAM that comes with the 2.2 is faster. 2.2 has 13.75 nanoseconds latency and 2.9 has 15 nanoseconds latency.
different grafic cards?

this is really weird. have you notified Props support?

Surfeast

12 Feb 2017

Best Macbook Pro was the ones with the Nvidia Cards and 16gbs of ram with ssd. Graphic cards do make a difference and those were unique because the had both Intel and Nvidia graphics like this spec This model has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5 Video Card and the integrated Intel Iris 5200 Pro Graphics Apple ME874LL/A
Inspired by hearing Kraftwerk in 1976

satyr32

12 Feb 2017

yeah i should contact the Props. I think the combination of the used CPU and used RAM is the culprit. It might be just a not so good setting for Reason.
(I do not think that the graphic card is the culprit, the 2.2 has only the Intel Iris Pro and the 2.9 has a Radeon Pro 460 which is by far a better graphic card)
and yeah i run the test on both the newest Reason and newst Sierra OS.

Marco Raaphorst

12 Feb 2017

Surfeast wrote:Best Macbook Pro was the ones with the Nvidia Cards and 16gbs of ram with ssd. Graphic cards do make a difference and those were unique because the had both Intel and Nvidia graphics like this spec This model has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5 Video Card and the integrated Intel Iris 5200 Pro Graphics Apple ME874LL/A
Why are the Nvidia Cards better than the more modern graphic models? My MBPro has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (2 gig GPU) & Intel Iris Pro (1.5 GPU build-in).

jivemaster

19 Feb 2017

I don't believe Reason supports GPU hardware acceleration, so a graphic card would not make a difference to performance in that regard.

This may be the reason why running the application in low-res mode vastly improves performance.

sumusik

21 Feb 2017

I don't know if it's related, but I just updated Reason to the latest version a few days ago (from 9.1 to 9.2) and started getting a not enough memory/performance low, etc, whereas I never got that message before... ever. I'm thinking there might be some kind of resource hog with the latest build. Hopefully it's something they can fix.

kuhliloach

21 Feb 2017

I agree with the posters here who are describing how Apple is destroying their professional Mac platform. With people like Tim Cook as CEO Apple is likely going to continue destroying every product they make. Windows 10's bloat factor seems like it presents Apple with an opportunity to crush Windows. Is Apple taking advantage of this opportunity -- this uncomfortable Window in time where professionals are questioning whether Win 10 is a properly optimized OS that's best for their needs -- no. Apple is busy messing up their hardware and OS's. To seal the deal and finish destroying Apple all Tim Cook has to do now is remove the headphone jack from the iPad.

plaamook

22 Feb 2017

kuhliloach wrote:I agree with the posters here who are describing how Apple is destroying their professional Mac platform. With people like Tim Cook as CEO Apple is likely going to continue destroying every product they make. Windows 10's bloat factor seems like it presents Apple with an opportunity to crush Windows. Is Apple taking advantage of this opportunity -- this uncomfortable Window in time where professionals are questioning whether Win 10 is a properly optimized OS that's best for their needs -- no. Apple is busy messing up their hardware and OS's. To seal the deal and finish destroying Apple all Tim Cook has to do now is remove the headphone jack from the iPad.
Oh come on, headphone jacks are so last year dude. Ports in general are. Lets be honest, when was the last time anyone here actually needed to plug anything into their computer?
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

dvdrtldg

22 Feb 2017

plaamook wrote:Oh come on, headphone jacks are so last year dude. Ports in general are. Lets be honest, when was the last time anyone here actually needed to plug anything into their computer?
:lol:

• Information