How much you hate your own music?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

01 Jan 2017

And how much you think it's because of your sound?

zeebot

01 Jan 2017

I love my own music, it suits my tastes perfectly :)
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Noplan
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2017

I hate my music, but I enjoy it with some distance.

Data_Shrine

01 Jan 2017

I wish I could make better tracks. I don't dislike what I make, with some distance, but they're never fleshed out as i'd wished they were.
That being said, just making more music and not worrying too much is the way to go, I think.

sdst
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2017

I'm happy with my music

Otherwise I would not make music

Peter

01 Jan 2017

Hate is a strong word for something we do with our own free will. :wtf:

FlowerSoldier

01 Jan 2017

Data_Shrine wrote:I wish I could make better tracks. I don't dislike what I make, with some distance, but they're never fleshed out as i'd wished they were.
That being said, just making more music and not worrying too much is the way to go, I think.
I'm in agreement. There is always something new to learn but as I look back on tracks I made a few years ago, it feels like I'm improving.

It also felt better once I stopped comparing my stuff to others. A lot of mainstream music has a team of well trained professionals and mastering engineers behind it. I'm not trying to compete with that.

My Oba-chan (Japanese Grandma) told me "There is one thing that only you can do. No one else can do it. Find that thing and do it the best you can."

So I make songs in Reason and post em on youtube. I don't do it because I think it's the best, but I'm pretty sure if I didn't do it, I don't know anyone else who would.

Try to make the music that you want to hear. The shit no one else will make.

Gorgon

01 Jan 2017

What kind of retarded question is this anyway? I love all the stuff I made. Even the stuff that's not that good. But I love it anyway, because I made it. It wouldn't be there if I hadn't made it. If you hate your music, I wonder what the hell you were thinking while you were composing it.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

moneykube

01 Jan 2017

lolollololloll.... well I hate some of it when I work on it too long.... but that leaves in time
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Catblack

01 Jan 2017

I started my musical journey in Reason at a time that I was going to partner with an old friend and make music. That fizzled in the first year, and for a while i thought that I needed a partner to really flesh out my stuff. Though that first year or three were tremendously creative for me. I have kept most of it stockpiled away for later release. I recognize that what I make is a bit different and certainly non commercial. But I recognize my own occasional brilliance. But it's like drawing, you have to get through 5000 sketches to get to the good ones. But nah, I don't hate what I do. It's the journey not the destination for me, but I'll get there, I have no doubt.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

HepCat

01 Jan 2017

I love a lot of my early Amiga stuff, cringe at some of it too, but it was all just "sketches" to me, the songs that l actually completed were brilliant! Then in the 2000s l made lots of rubbish music using modern DAWs. Hoping for a return to form when l go back into music this month.

Benedict
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2017

Aah self-hate; as expressed at arm's length through a third party. A wonderfully self-absorbed way to keep yourself on a short chain. You have to see that for what it is and tell your hand to drop the chain.

We all feel that we didn't quite get what we expected, but by the final mix we should be happy enough with what is there or there is something wrong (see above).

Take Mr Soldier's Granny's advice and let yourself do what it is you do. That way you walk away happier as you have said what it is you need to say, and that part of life's puzzle is on the table.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

FlowerSoldier

01 Jan 2017

Gorgon wrote:What kind of retarded question is this anyway? I love all the stuff I made. Even the stuff that's not that good. But I love it anyway, because I made it. It wouldn't be there if I hadn't made it. If you hate your music, I wonder what the hell you were thinking while you were composing it.
For goodness sakes, Gorgon. That reply was a bit heavy handed. You sound full on triggered.

Karim
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2017

half and half

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Soft Enerji

01 Jan 2017

If I hated the music I make I'd give up as there would be no point in it. I wish I was a better keyboard player. I wish I was a better guitarist but after surgery on my left hand a few years ago that ain't gonna happen. That same surgery means I don't have the dexterity I had when I was younger so can't play my bass the way I used to. But I persevere and focus more on production skills. There is always something new to learn and sometimes when I struggle to achieve what I can hear in my mind I get frustrated, but I certainty don't hate what I do.

Having said all that I'll finish by saying the only thing I do hate is that I'm struggling to get anything completed. I have soooooo many tracks that are 80-90% done but just can't seem to get them over the line. This could be down to unfinished lyrics, vocals, something in the mix I can't get right, all sorts of things. My wife says I'm too much of a perfectionist. She's probably right :puf_smile:

Cheers

Mark

Dabbler

01 Jan 2017

well i go thru periods where i love everything i do. i even rationalize the bad stuff to be good and dismiss all dis as ignorant.

then some days i hate it all and imagine smashing my entire studio with a sledge hammer.

dvdrtldg

01 Jan 2017

Occasionally I find myself falling into predictable patterns and churning out stuff that's exactly like the previous stuff because I'm following a formula rather than experimenting with open curiosity. At those moments, I hate my music

Taff

01 Jan 2017

Interesting. I hate my lack of musical ability, my total lack of understanding of music, and my inability to get stuff out of my head and onto a track.

I quite like some of my music though.

Creativemind

01 Jan 2017

My music is magnificent, it's just the production that's lacking. :lol:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

01 Jan 2017

Dabbler wrote:well i go thru periods where i love everything i do. i even rationalize the bad stuff to be good and dismiss all dis as ignorant.

then some days i hate it all and imagine smashing my entire studio with a sledge hammer.
Lol! we all have them days I guess.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aisling

01 Jan 2017

Not to sound to egotistical, but I listen primarily only to my music these days (and on a german space rock kick at the moment.....electric moon, zone six, samsara blues experiment, my sleeping karma, krautzone, etc), and really get joy, creative insight, and inspiration from it. My production expectations are in perspective since the music is in the demo and initial creative phases. I don't listen as much to my finished tracks, but when I do, also walk away feeling accomplished.

deepndark

02 Jan 2017

In my own case, I may love and be super-wowed by my stuff or then comes a day when I feel almost the opposite. Propably nothing weird about it.
@ Peter:
Hate is a strong word for something we do with our own free will. :wtf:
Indeed, but I think our free will is oftenly not that free at all. :puf_bigsmile:

Marc64

02 Jan 2017

I like my music , even the old sid, mod, xm ones I did in the 80's-90's :)
I tend to listen to them now and then :)

deepndark

02 Jan 2017

Gorgon wrote:What kind of retarded question is this anyway? I love all the stuff I made. Even the stuff that's not that good. But I love it anyway, because I made it. It wouldn't be there if I hadn't made it. If you hate your music, I wonder what the hell you were thinking while you were composing it.
Calm down there buddy, I understand if most people like their stuff - and that's just great. :thumbs_up:
Anyway, I know I listen to my music way too much, which is propably the biggest reason for my "hate". Or another thing is that I feel shit in that day anyway. ;)

• Information