How much you hate your own music?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Voyager

02 Jan 2017

If I hated the music I created, I would not even start to create it.

There is a difference between people in the musical industry that are trying to take shortcuts by making music where the money is instead of making music more personnal and that they really love.

If you know on which side you're part of i think then that you should have the anwser to your question :)

Noise
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2017

I only hate my "music" when I switch to another pair of headphones..
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Voyager

02 Jan 2017

Noise wrote:I only hate my "music" when I switch to another pair of headphones..
Then don't hate your music but hate your mixing :lol:

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2017

I dislike that I didn't appreciate my music enough when I was learning.
Last edited by avasopht on 02 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

slightlyprog

02 Jan 2017

Noplan wrote:I hate my music, but I enjoy it with some distance.
I have stages of like /dislike during the process. When I first have the initial song idea, melody and chords etc. I like it. Then as I put down the tracks I usually like some of it even more. Then it starts to get annoying and by the time I do the mix I almost hate it.

Some of my albums I didn't listen to for a couple years after the whole mixing / mastering process, just couldn't bear to hear it any more.

Creativemind

02 Jan 2017

I thought you might have been having a bad day deepndark :-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Gorgon

03 Jan 2017

FlowerSoldier wrote:
Gorgon wrote:What kind of retarded question is this anyway? I love all the stuff I made. Even the stuff that's not that good. But I love it anyway, because I made it. It wouldn't be there if I hadn't made it. If you hate your music, I wonder what the hell you were thinking while you were composing it.
For goodness sakes, Gorgon. That reply was a bit heavy handed. You sound full on triggered.
You ask a provocative question? You get a provocative answer. :D
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

MarkTarlton

03 Jan 2017

for me the joy is in the journey which is making it. I don't really like listening to my own music once it's finished, I'm usually burnt out on it from hearing it so much and I'm off to the next idea... I will make the exception on rare occasions for self reflection.

jonheal

03 Jan 2017

The little bits I have managed to squeeze out I like. I narcissistically listen to them over and over. But I do hate my own limitations, both in skills and talent.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

svenh

04 Jan 2017

I like my own music - if I didn't I would probably stop producing...

That being said, I am always VERY tired of listening to my songs in the end of the production phase. Listening to the same song intensely several hundred times to improve and polish it is not that fun...

deepndark

04 Jan 2017

Gorgon wrote:
FlowerSoldier wrote:
Gorgon wrote:What kind of retarded question is this anyway? I love all the stuff I made. Even the stuff that's not that good. But I love it anyway, because I made it. It wouldn't be there if I hadn't made it. If you hate your music, I wonder what the hell you were thinking while you were composing it.
For goodness sakes, Gorgon. That reply was a bit heavy handed. You sound full on triggered.
You ask a provocative question? You get a provocative answer. :D
So in your opinion asking a straight question is provocative? Not here where I lve in.
PS, not a first time when you prove you're a dick.

Peter

04 Jan 2017

MarkTarlton wrote:for me the joy is in the journey which is making it. I don't really like listening to my own music once it's finished, I'm usually burnt out on it from hearing it so much and I'm off to the next idea... I will make the exception on rare occasions for self reflection.
+1

I did music with somebody recently who told me they are the opposite as in they don't like to spend a lot of time making music but they enjoy listening to it. It's weird because all that dopamine release is happening during that initial creative process for me and then I get burnt out by the time arrangement is coming to an end.

Mystile

04 Jan 2017

I go through a pattern of almost everything I make. As I'm making it, I hate it, I think it sucks, I think I suck, i think im a fraud that knows nothing and will never be able to make anything decent again. I hate about 95% of what i make and it never see's the light of day...i do it all in hopes of that 5% of happiness that comes out every now and then. Otherwise mentally I'm a disaster through this whole creation process

chimp_spanner

04 Jan 2017

I think almost every musician with a critical ear is overly hard on themselves at times, although I'd say if you're consistently unhappy with your music then maybe it's worth spending a little time trying to nail down what exactly you're unhappy with, rather than repeating the same mistakes. Or, better still, just take a break. Nothing clears the mind and refreshes your ears like just stepping away from it for a few hours, or days, or weeks, and just enjoying things other than music.

The last year or two has been a HUGE learning curve for me in as much as breaking out of old habits, realising where I'm going wrong and accepting that I need to learn more (don't we all?). So if you can recognise areas for improvement in your music, I'd certainly say that's preferable to thinking everything you do is awesome. But on the flipside, like I said, if you're not happy with anything you do then it might be time to bury your head in a book..or more likely a YouTube video or two, and smash through whatever's stopping you :)

Gorgon

08 Jan 2017

deepndark wrote: So in your opinion asking a straight question is provocative? Not here where I lve in.
This is not a straight question. This is a very strange question, because in the question you're already implying that everyone apparently hates his own music, although in varying degrees. You also don't give any insight as in why YOU hate your own music, because that has to be the reason why you came up with this question in the first place. It is anything BUT a straight question.
PS, not a first time when you prove you're a dick.
You get an answer you don't like, and you start calling people names. Now that's mature.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Kenni
Site Admin

08 Jan 2017

To be fair, your entrance weren't exactly elegant. People have different opinions and so on. The topic is "How much do you hate your own music?" to which the answer for most people would be "I don't." If that's the case, there's no real reason to reply at all.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

NekujaK

08 Jan 2017

"Hate" is too strong a word, but for me "frustrated" or "disappointed" used to happen a lot when I first started, usually because I was unable to achieve the exact sound that I heard in my head or on particular record. So when I measured my music against that yardstick, it would often be a big letdown.

But now when I go back and listen to those old tracks, most of them sound pretty good, because I've accepted them for what they are and am no longer comparing. And that's a big lesson. Ultimately, songs go where they want to go, and trying to force them to conform to some preconcieved notion can sometimes be an exercise in frustration. As I've gained experience, I'm usually able to get the result I'm after, but there are times when I end up with something entirely different. I've learned to just relax and appreciate the surprise, and focus on how much enjoyment I got out of the creative process along the way.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

damasio

09 Jan 2017

I do occasionally hate my own music, but most of the time i get bored and just want to start something new and progress.

I've had a coach on the conservatory and learned a couple of things about these problems.
Dealing with ones inner critic is an important psychological skill that every artist needs develop.
It's our own narcissism to think we need to "love" our own music.

Always ask constructive questions like these:
What is good about this?
Above all: do i feel anything when i hear this track with fresh ears?
What can i accentuate?
What should be improved?
What is the core musical idea i should focus on with this track?
If there is something missing, whats an easy way to get it within your ability and resources?
When would you consider this project finished (make a practical plan with a timeline but don't be too rigid) ?
If i would dump this project, what have i learned and why isn't it working?
What skill do i need to learn to get to the level i want to be?

A change in a productive artistic mindset prevented me from getting depressed and other stuff (alcohol, cheap sex etc lol)
Last edited by damasio on 09 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

deepndark

09 Jan 2017

Gorgon wrote: This is not a straight question. This is a very strange question, because in the question you're already implying that everyone apparently hates his own music, although in varying degrees. You also don't give any insight as in why YOU hate your own music, because that has to be the reason why you came up with this question in the first place. It is anything BUT a straight question.
No, there doesn't read nowhere that you can't reply that "I don't hate my music at all"
Also I DID say that I hate my music because of too many streams and when I tend to have a bad day.
C'mon dude - learn to READ please.
Gorgon wrote: You get an answer you don't like, and you start calling people names. Now that's mature.
I didn't get an answer to my question by you, but that I am retarded. Is calling people retarded mature for you?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2017

I don't hate any of my finished music. But there are a lot of ideas/melodies/riffs/beats that I write that never become part of a song because they suck. I probably throw away at least half of my ideas. So the only songs I actually finish are songs that I find are either ok or good.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 09 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

centomila

09 Jan 2017

My music creations are a good way to understand my mood. If i don't like it, usually is because i don't like myself.

jonheal

09 Jan 2017

I am amazed that so many people on this forum are multilingual. It is a great accomplishment to be able to speak more than one language. I have great respect for multi-lingual folks. I speak and write only English.

That said, a working knowledge of a language and extreme proficiency is speaking and writing in that language are not the same thing. There is considerable angst expended in threads because a non-native-English speaker chose perhaps not the most appropriate or accurate word or phrase in their post. Often the author is summarily pillared for it.

Yes, the thread title was a bit sensational, but I got the gist of what deepndark was getting at.

What the world needs now, if it can't be "love, sweet love," is at least a bit more slack-cutting.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

davidvilla

09 Jan 2017

I sometimes feel guilty for liking my music too much. But it's not because my "sound" is great, cuz I still listen to my Reason 2.0 shit (when I didn't have a clue about proper mixing) and I like that too. Probably because my tracks are about mood and melody.

Arrant
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2017

Legitimate and interesting question.

I don't hate my music, at least not the ideas that are actually worth developing. If I put the effort in, I think I can make tracks that have some merit.
Nonetheless I often feel disappointed by the final result, probably because my production skills (mixing, mastering..) aren't where I would want them to be, and it feels like I just can't crack the secret code needed to raise the standard of my output.
This makes me annoyed with myself, though certainly the feeling is nowhere close to being as intense as hate.

artotaku

09 Jan 2017

When I start a new track, I love it until I start with the arrangement.
After I´ve finished it I hate it and won´t listen to it for a longer time.
Occasionally, when I listen to it after months or years I say to myself: what a genius I was at that time :puf_bigsmile:

• Information