Setting the song key in Pitch Editor?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Social Exodus

27 Dec 2016

Is this possible? I can do that in Melodyne, but I can't seem to find that in Reason. Is it not there?
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

EnochLight

27 Dec 2016

Siberian Khatru wrote:Is this possible? I can do that in Melodyne, but I can't seem to find that in Reason. Is it not there?
No, it cannot be done in Reason. That said, Reason's audio pitch editor should detect the pitch of the material automatically by the key it's in (assuming it's a monophonic recording - and best being a monophonic dry vocal recording).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Social Exodus

27 Dec 2016

I ask because I took a vocal and acoustic track I'd recorded in SONAR and drag/dropped them into Reason (same Tempo of 120)and they sound completely different. I'm trying to figure out why that is lol
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

EnochLight

28 Dec 2016

Siberian Khatru wrote:I ask because I took a vocal and acoustic track I'd recorded in SONAR and drag/dropped them into Reason (same Tempo of 120)and they sound completely different. I'm trying to figure out why that is lol
They sound different key/pitch-wise?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Social Exodus

28 Dec 2016

EnochLight wrote:
Siberian Khatru wrote:I ask because I took a vocal and acoustic track I'd recorded in SONAR and drag/dropped them into Reason (same Tempo of 120)and they sound completely different. I'm trying to figure out why that is lol
They sound different key/pitch-wise?
Yep, it's weird. Deeper and richer (within the blinds of my so so voice) on SONAR, much higher pitched and tinnier. I probably did something wrong somewhere.

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Social Exodus

28 Dec 2016

I just did it again and this time it worked fine. Thanks.

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

EnochLight

28 Dec 2016

Siberian Khatru wrote:I just did it again and this time it worked fine. Thanks.
So, "operator error"? ;) Perhaps it was the sample rate that it was exported in your first attempt? I have no idea why it sounded off the first time but fine the second attempt. Anyway, congrats on getting sorted though! :thumbs_up:

Social Exodus

29 Dec 2016

Yeah, no clue here either but there was a glass of scotch involved lol. Appreciate your input any way around it!

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

jfrichards

29 Dec 2016

Separately from the example/problem above, to me, it has always been a major omission in Reason that there is no part of the Tool Window Pitch box giving Key choice and Mode choice to select or change the song key for a selected or highlighted clip or area. Especially now that they have almost completely solved the midi programming in the new Scales and Chords Player that will do it live! And they have done it for audio (studio quality with the new Pitch Editor and live with Neptune)! It could be applied to any selected area in the new pitch editor.

If Ludwig had such a tool, he would have composed 50 symphonies, not just 9.

Social Exodus

29 Dec 2016

jfrichards wrote:Separately from the example/problem above, to me, it has always been a major omission in Reason that there is no part of the Tool Window Pitch box giving Key choice and Mode choice to select or change the song key for a selected or highlighted clip or area. Especially now that they have almost completely solved the midi programming in the new Scales and Chords Player that will do it live! And they have done it for audio (studio quality with the new Pitch Editor and live with Neptune)! It could be applied to any selected area in the new pitch editor.

If Ludwig had such a tool, he would have composed 50 symphonies, not just 9.
Do other DAWS have such a feature?

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Vandersn

05 Apr 2020

Why pay for it? I use this free database to find keys of songs and also apply harmonic mixing using their tool: https://getsongkey.com/mixing. Never had a problem and the keys are accurate. Also I can sort by genre which can be cool when I want to mix up different genre tracks but keep the harmonics on point.

• Information