Looking to timestretch and transpose one sample over a keyboard with one caveat...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
axdxm

26 Dec 2016

I just need to make it where the transposed sample is stretched to the same length on all the keys. So, if I recorded a 2 second sample and transposed it, I could play high pitch notes and bass notes, but every note remains at 2 seconds in length. I can do this with my korg microsampler and am hoping I can do this in Reason. Thank you in advance if you can figure this one out!

jam-s

26 Dec 2016

You ca make many copies of the sample in the sequencer and use the transpose function there. Then bounce all of those to samples and add them to nnxt and then aotomap zones chromtically.

axdxm

26 Dec 2016

jam-s wrote:You ca make many copies of the sample in the sequencer and use the transpose function there. Then bounce all of those to samples and add them to nnxt and then aotomap zones chromtically.
That is extremely impractical, lol.

Raveshaper

26 Dec 2016

It's more or less the only way.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

aRiver

26 Dec 2016

What you describe is called resynthesis. At the moment you can't do it in Reason (if it;s something ambient you may try looping the sample and it probably will sound ok). To do that good you need stuff like Harmor.

Marc64

27 Dec 2016

maybe recreate the sound with a synth? :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

househoppin09

01 Jan 2017

If I'm understanding OP's needs correctly, this kind of thing can be done in Reason to some extent with Neptune, with varying levels of sonic mangling and artifacting being added depending on the character of the original sound. The "proper" way to do it is as jam-s described upthread, but if the level of effort involved in that is prohibitive, I'd suggest playing around with Neptune before giving up altogether. (Set up an NN-XT and a Neptune in a Combinator, arrange things on the NN-XT so that every key on the keyboard triggers the sample at its original pitch and speed, route the audio output of the NN-XT into the Neptune for pitch correction, etc.) If necessary, the more laborious manual-transpose-and-resample method can be used, say, once per octave, with one Neptune per sample, so that they don't have to process the sound as drastically.

Creativemind

01 Jan 2017

aRiver wrote:What you describe is called resynthesis. At the moment you can't do it in Reason (if it;s something ambient you may try looping the sample and it probably will sound ok). To do that good you need stuff like Harmor.
Just watched a video on re-synthesis with Harmor, that's amazing.

:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aRiver

01 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:
aRiver wrote:What you describe is called resynthesis. At the moment you can't do it in Reason (if it;s something ambient you may try looping the sample and it probably will sound ok). To do that good you need stuff like Harmor.
Just watched a video on re-synthesis with Harmor, that's amazing.

Ye, I think, at the moment, it's the best vst re-synthesizer available, and probably one of the most versatile synths due to complexity and available functions.

Creativemind

01 Jan 2017

It does look very very nifty I must say. Makes me think the Props should seriously think about revamping the NN-XT (the GUI as well) and making it a right beasty sampler adding resynthesis etc

okaino

05 Jul 2017

Creativemind wrote:It does look very very nifty I must say. Makes me think the Props should seriously think about revamping the NN-XT (the GUI as well) and making it a right beasty sampler adding resynthesis etc
Being able to edit start and end times of a sample in nnxt would be huge! It would change the workflow. Id be more open to editing samples soley to and in nnxt....it cant be an easy fix cause reason can record audio and timestretch a d the nnxt.......is the same ....outside of the fact you can sample in.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Creativemind

06 Jul 2017

okaino wrote:
05 Jul 2017
Creativemind wrote:It does look very very nifty I must say. Makes me think the Props should seriously think about revamping the NN-XT (the GUI as well) and making it a right beasty sampler adding resynthesis etc
Being able to edit start and end times of a sample in nnxt would be huge! It would change the workflow. Id be more open to editing samples soley to and in nnxt....it cant be an easy fix cause reason can record audio and timestretch a d the nnxt.......is the same ....outside of the fact you can sample in.

Being able to edit a sample within the NN-XT would be fantastic yeah. Adding Audiowarp, Audio Tempo Detection and Fit to the Tempo of the track to Reason is much needed imo and going one further and adding it to the NN-XT would be brilliant.

okaino

06 Jul 2017

Creativemind wrote:
okaino wrote:
05 Jul 2017

Being able to edit a sample within the NN-XT would be fantastic yeah. Adding Audiowarp, Audio Tempo Detection and Fit to the Tempo of the track to Reason is much needed imo and going one further and adding it to the NN-XT would be brilliant.
They need to stop playin n get with it

etyrnal

07 Jul 2017

Raveshaper wrote:It's more or less the only way.
... for now

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Raveshaper

08 Jul 2017

etyrnal wrote:
07 Jul 2017
Raveshaper wrote:It's more or less the only way.
... for now

Well, yes. While having stretch is nice, i hope it becomes more lossless and options like this either improve or become available. I think the difference now is we have recent events to cite as evidence for why we dare to hope.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

etyrnal

08 Jul 2017

Stretch can never be lossless. It's a perceptual function and the original sample is immediately destroyed by stretching even by just .001% let alone 100%, or 200%. You might be able to write an algorithm that creates a very convincing high quality sounding stretch, but the loss is immediate and total. Lossless is not a word that I would ever apply to stretch.

Oquasec

08 Jul 2017

Don't bother timestrechin unless you dealing with 88-192khz sources.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Ahornberg

08 Jul 2017

axdxm wrote:
26 Dec 2016
I just need to make it where the transposed sample is stretched to the same length on all the keys. So, if I recorded a 2 second sample and transposed it, I could play high pitch notes and bass notes, but every note remains at 2 seconds in length. I can do this with my korg microsampler and am hoping I can do this in Reason. Thank you in advance if you can figure this one out!
Just use your Korg MicroSampler as an external device ... I do this with my analog modular synth.

TheGodOfRainbows

21 Jul 2018

Oquasec wrote:
08 Jul 2017
Don't bother timestrechin unless you dealing with 88-192khz sources.
Does recording at those higher sample rates make the time stretch algorithm work better?!

selig
RE Developer

22 Jul 2018

etyrnal wrote:Stretch can never be lossless. It's a perceptual function and the original sample is immediately destroyed by stretching even by just .001% let alone 100%, or 200%. You might be able to write an algorithm that creates a very convincing high quality sounding stretch, but the loss is immediate and total. Lossless is not a word that I would ever apply to stretch.

A better word than “lossless” would be “non-destructive”, because if you remove (disable) time stretch, you revert back to the original audio.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Streetbobade

30 May 2020

I know this response is a little late, but the best method I have ever come across for this is the Roland V-synth gt

You can record your 2, 3, 4 second sample, it automatically time stretches it over the 61 keys, so all the keys are pitched but remain the same length, And it’s pretty good, BUT the real magic comes in when you play more than one note. If your sample is 3 seconds long and you play the chord of c major, (C,E,G) but half way through the sample you want to add a B to make it a 7th, on a normal sampler the sample will start as you hit the B, on the V-synth GT, when you are holding a chord and hit another note, that additional note comes in at exactly the same point as the rest of the notes you are playing.

EG you record your voice saying “hello my name is”
The chord would sound like this,
C,E,G would play: Hello my name is
B. Would play: name is

A normal sampler would play it back like this:

C,E,G Hello my name is
B. Hello my

It allows you to get very creative with samples. Fantastic if you are playing back a choir.

• Information