Do you create music sitting or standing up?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic
Posts: 1261
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 29 Nov 2016

What is your preferred method of writing music?
Do you create music sitting or standing up?
(Perhaps you kneel.)

A couple of years ago, I had my laptop on a coffee table, and I sat cross legged for maybe six months. This included guitar work, keyboards and mixing.

Recently, I started to do the initial creating standing up. I have my keyboard and laptop high, and my desktop and smaller midi controller low. The mixing is done sitting at the desktop (though I do tend to roam a bit listening to the results). Detailed MIDI adjustments I sit down as well.

Anyways, I like standing up during the initial creating process.

vanKloot
Posts: 20
Joined: 25 Nov 2016

Post 29 Nov 2016

A couple years ago I finally bought myself a motorized desk so that I can sit/stand any time I feel the need. Frankly I forget I can do this way too often and don't stand as much as I should, but I like the idea of seeing which posture is most conducive to the musical process. I definitely found that standing while I play the Pads on my Ableton Push, seemed to make a really big difference in my getting into the groove.

aisling
Posts: 54
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 29 Nov 2016

I mix it up between both. I play guitar primarily so "naturally" I stand in that regard (to engage pedals), but with Reason production, and all computer activities, I use an exercise ball that I sit on, It gives a little bounce, and lets me stretch out over it when i need to.....IMHO anybody sitting for over a hour at a time, should consider switching out for an exercise ball to offset the negative effects of being static and sedentary for long periods of time.
I'd love to try out an all-out standing composition and production rig, but have been to lazy to take the step and deal with the dreaded time investment required in my space to manifest it.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6906
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 29 Nov 2016

I have a standing workstation at my full time 9-5 job, so the moment I get into my studio - I plant my ass on my workstation chair! ;) :lol: :mrgreen: That said, I stand to record vocals. I usually play my keys, pads, bass and guitar sitting down, though.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

greenson
Posts: 26
Joined: 27 Nov 2016

Post 29 Nov 2016

As I often an slightly inebriated when making music, I like to stand and wiggle around a bit. Looking at buying an adjustable standing desk, like the guy above mentions he has in his job. It will also make it much easier so I can play around with Reason settings while I have a guitar strapped to me (standing up)

vanKloot
Posts: 20
Joined: 25 Nov 2016

Post 29 Nov 2016

FYI, I bought my desk from https://www.ergodepot.com/. It was around a grand after adding accessories and whatnot, but was a very long term investment in my health and comfort.

User avatar
deepndark
Posts: 1270
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Finland

Post 30 Nov 2016

I sit and mix, - anyhow I've heard how recording vocals by standing up can give you better results. If you stand up and sing, your lungs work betterly. Or something like that.

User avatar
Data_Shrine
Posts: 512
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 30 Nov 2016

I used to sit all the time but now it,s a mix of both. If i use my axiom or dx7 i stand up for sure.

User avatar
ejanuska
Posts: 680
Joined: 27 May 2016
Location: USA

Post 30 Nov 2016

It's kind of like sitting, but more like almost laying down. Shall I call it a "modified slouch"?

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2881
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 30 Nov 2016

I've heard this is what the top producers are using.


stratatonic
Posts: 1261
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 30 Nov 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:I've heard this is what the top producers are using.

http s:/ /www .youtube. com/watch?v=E9_amg-Aos4
lol...DO NOT drink coffee producing with that...

stratatonic
Posts: 1261
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 30 Nov 2016

vanKloot wrote: I like the idea of seeing which posture is most conducive to the musical process. I definitely found that standing while I play the Pads on my Ableton Push, seemed to make a really big difference in my getting into the groove.
Yeah! If you're really grooving, you must be doing it right...
vanKloot wrote:A couple years ago I finally bought myself a motorized desk so that I can sit/stand any time I feel the need. Frankly I forget I can do this way too often and don't stand as much as I should
How long does it take to shift the desk from sitting to standing mode?

stratatonic
Posts: 1261
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 30 Nov 2016

aisling wrote:I use an exercise ball that I sit on, It gives a little bounce, and lets me stretch out over it when i need to.....IMHO anybody sitting for over a hour at a time, should consider switching out for an exercise ball to offset the negative effects of being static and sedentary for long periods of time.
Yeah, I think folks sit way too much. I think I may hint to someone to get me one of these for Xmas...if it doesn't work out at the computer, I can always try to incorporate it somehow into my exercise routine...

aisling
Posts: 54
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 30 Nov 2016

stratatonic wrote:
aisling wrote:I use an exercise ball that I sit on, It gives a little bounce, and lets me stretch out over it when i need to.....IMHO anybody sitting for over a hour at a time, should consider switching out for an exercise ball to offset the negative effects of being static and sedentary for long periods of time.
Yeah, I think folks sit way too much. I think I may hint to someone to get me one of these for Xmas...if it doesn't work out at the computer, I can always try to incorporate it somehow into my exercise routine...
I'm 5'11 and I use a 75cm ball. The ball manufacturer's recommend 65cm for my height, but they aren't factoring that I'm using it to sit.

Ostermilk
Posts: 1520
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Dec 2016

I'll usually sit if I'm working out a substantial movement, if it's something more fluid that just involves a bit of tinkling around I'm happy to stand.

User avatar
jappe
Moderator
Posts: 2295
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 01 Dec 2016

vanKloot wrote:A couple years ago I finally bought myself a motorized desk so that I can sit/stand any time I feel the need. Frankly I forget I can do this way too often and don't stand as much as I should, but I like the idea of seeing which posture is most conducive to the musical process. I definitely found that standing while I play the Pads on my Ableton Push, seemed to make a really big difference in my getting into the groove.
I've had a motorized desk(IKEA) as well for some years... amazing quality. It can carry a lot of weight from monitors & monitors and the motor doesn't struggle at all.

Yonatan
Posts: 1311
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 01 Dec 2016

Mostly standing up when recording/composing, but sitting when mixing.

stratatonic
Posts: 1261
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 02 Dec 2016

EnochLight wrote:I have a standing workstation at my full time 9-5 job, so the moment I get into my studio - I plant my ass on my workstation chair! ;) :lol: :mrgreen:
Yeah, there's that,right? When you've had a long day and you're wiped out, planting is the thing to do... :)

stratatonic
Posts: 1261
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 02 Dec 2016

aisling wrote:
stratatonic wrote:
aisling wrote:I use an exercise ball that I sit on, It gives a little bounce, and lets me stretch out over it when i need to.....IMHO anybody sitting for over a hour at a time, should consider switching out for an exercise ball to offset the negative effects of being static and sedentary for long periods of time.
Yeah, I think folks sit way too much. I think I may hint to someone to get me one of these for Xmas...if it doesn't work out at the computer, I can always try to incorporate it somehow into my exercise routine...
I'm 5'11 and I use a 75cm ball. The ball manufacturer's recommend 65cm for my height, but they aren't factoring that I'm using it to sit.
Yeah, thanks - good point! Nothing like getting the ball, sitting on it and staring up the desk with your wrists above your head. :mrgreen:

stratatonic
Posts: 1261
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 02 Dec 2016

Ostermilk wrote:I'll usually sit if I'm working out a substantial movement, if it's something more fluid that just involves a bit of tinkling around I'm happy to stand.
:clap: I know exactly what you did there :puf_bigsmile:

vanKloot
Posts: 20
Joined: 25 Nov 2016

Post 03 Dec 2016

stratatonic wrote:
vanKloot wrote:A couple years ago I finally bought myself a motorized desk so that I can sit/stand any time I feel the need. Frankly I forget I can do this way too often and don't stand as much as I should
How long does it take to shift the desk from sitting to standing mode?
Just a few seconds. In fact I'll time it right now...

13 seconds start to finish, sit to stand or vice versa.

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 578
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 03 Dec 2016

Alas I'm no trained musician, and I only know a small bit of theory, so I'm a sitty downy kinda person so I can think about what I'm writing rather than performing.

stratatonic
Posts: 1261
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 04 Dec 2016

vanKloot wrote:
stratatonic wrote:
vanKloot wrote:A couple years ago I finally bought myself a motorized desk so that I can sit/stand any time I feel the need. Frankly I forget I can do this way too often and don't stand as much as I should
How long does it take to shift the desk from sitting to standing mode?
Just a few seconds. In fact I'll time it right now...

13 seconds start to finish, sit to stand or vice versa.
I don't use a computer much at work, but we do have to input data/check mail etc. We did try to get a adjustable system for us, like other depts, but they felt we didn't do enough computer work to justify the expense. Fair enough, when I'm on the computer at work, I just swing the monitor higher, throw a small box that's always around underneath the keyboard, and everything is at standing height - a couple of seconds. No need to adjust the whole desk higher - though if you had tons of paperwork as well, it probably would not work too well.

For DAW stuff, it could work fine for anyone thinking of trying that out on the cheap.

.
jappe wrote:I've had a motorized desk(IKEA) as well for some years... amazing quality. It can carry a lot of weight from monitors & monitors and the motor doesn't struggle at all.
Looks good, although the angle of neck that that guy in the vid is looking at his laptop, would cripple me ... :(
.

emmawilli
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 Nov 2020

Post 10 Nov 2020

vanKloot wrote:
29 Nov 2016
FYI, I bought my desk from https://www.ergodepot.com/. It was around a grand after adding accessories and whatnot, but was a very long term investment in my health and comfort.
Thanks, I was also looking for a desk for home use. Due to covid-19, I am working from home and I need a desk and chair. I have seen onFlexispot coupons. They are offering discounts with free shipping Is there any discount available? :roll: :roll:

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 8285
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Mar 2021

I just switched from a kneeling chair to a ball. The kneeling chair was great, but created problems for using my sustain and expression pedals, since my feet end up behind me lol.

Now using this (Vivora Luno, standard size/felt for $59). So far it's been really great! Comes with a washable cover and looks better than a shiny yoga ball.

Vivora Luno.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: bangaio, CommonCrawl [Bot], integerpoet, Jed, ksniod, Mint, Trendiction [Bot] and 8 guests