Video support for Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

29 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:Well yeah, Propellerhead team was not born yesterday to not figure all these things out. Even I have a figurative mind to do certain maths and solutions.
Anyway, as Props asked about a possible video support from the userbase, my hopes are up, cheers!
Not sure they actually ever asked about video support, nor what to read into it if the did ask - let's say they asked and only 5% replied positively, what then? Meaning that them "asking" is not any indication anything will come of it.
:)
I bet the 5% was more like 20% - just a guess tho. I am not gonna lose my mind if they won't add it yet, but ... well ... think about how lots of users would start making videos for their music. Some already do (whatever way they do) and I also have a Pinnacle but I'd need it to be synced to Reason. And hell no it's a good solution to stop video and switching between the apps.

selig
RE Developer

29 Nov 2016

deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:Well yeah, Propellerhead team was not born yesterday to not figure all these things out. Even I have a figurative mind to do certain maths and solutions.
Anyway, as Props asked about a possible video support from the userbase, my hopes are up, cheers!
Not sure they actually ever asked about video support, nor what to read into it if the did ask - let's say they asked and only 5% replied positively, what then? Meaning that them "asking" is not any indication anything will come of it.
I bet the 5% was more like 20% - just a guess tho. I am not gonna lose my mind if they won't add it yet, but ... well ... think about how lots of users would start making videos for their music. Some already do (whatever way they do) and I also have a Pinnacle but I'd need it to be synced to Reason. And hell no it's a good solution to stop video and switching between the apps.
Those that are driven to create music for video aren't waiting for Reason - they are already doing it however they can! They ask for video support in Reason to make their job easier or more fun - but not so that they can begin to score fro video. Like Truman Capote answered to someone saying they wanted to start writing: "writers write". If you're a writer, you're ALREADY writing, you're not waiting for someone's permission!

Same for musicians - I was using a cassette recorder when I was a teenager because that's all I had access to at the time. I used a second cassette recorder to overdub if I could borrow one. Very far from perfect, but I was not going to let the lack of a proper multitrack machine stop me from writing and recording music! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Faastwalker

29 Nov 2016

I do a fair bit of video stuff. But for me video in Reason is far from a priority. I'm usually doing audio in Reason & exporting for use in a video editing suite where I'm adding video to it. If it was the other way around i.e. adding music to video, then a video player / timeline in Reason would be very useful. But again, I don't really see this as something that is a priority or even a necessity in the Reason environment.

deepndark

30 Nov 2016

Faastwalker wrote:I do a fair bit of video stuff. But for me video in Reason is far from a priority. I'm usually doing audio in Reason & exporting for use in a video editing suite where I'm adding video to it. If it was the other way around i.e. adding music to video, then a video player / timeline in Reason would be very useful. But again, I don't really see this as something that is a priority or even a necessity in the Reason environment.
True, this way around I wouldn't need sync between Reason and video myself. :puf_wink:

Riverman

30 Nov 2016

Gorgon wrote:
Riverman wrote: Video sync is an audio requirement if you want to mix audio for video or make music or sound design for video.
Well, I guess you'd use a tool that's designed to do such things, instead of tacking on video to a music production tool.
What like ProTools, Ableton Live, Cubase, Studio One, Digital Performer, or Logic Pro?
They are music production tools, and host synced video... which is why we use them to make music in sync with picture.

As it is we have to Rewire Reason into one of those, or use something like ReSync which is unnecessarily cumbersome.
"Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong is its current;
no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place,
and this too will be swept away." - Marcus Aurelius

Riverman

30 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:Wasn't there a survey by the Propellerheads about a possible video support?
Anyway, A basic video support to see a video and doing music for the video would be cool. I could then add sound fx to some happenings in the video 100% preciesly.
Audio features are important too, but the audio feature demanders seem always coming up with new ideas, so the video support fans would need to wait til Reason 27 like EnochLight said. We can't assume people buy Nuendo + all the instrumets/effects and learn them + paying for it. Just for few video projects few times a year.
I also can't imagine Reason adding video for a few folks that would only use it a few times a year…

That argument cuts both ways IMO.

I'm no expert, but it seems to be there are many mitigating factors involved beyond just "adding video support"…
Reason itself just isn't designed for scoring to video or adding sound FX, and simply adding video support alone won't necessarily address everyone's needs. Things like nudging frame by frame and inserting events at the exact frame boundary are common tasks, as well as finding tempos to hit sync points (needs markers to even begin to do this manually) come to mind. Video also puts a hit on the CPU, so you either have to account for that by using less CPU with your track or support external video accelerators etc.

I'm one of those guys who needs video once or twice a year, at MOST, and I ReWire to Logic for those projects. And like others, there are SO many AUDIO feature I'd prefer to be addressed long before video support that I can't even imagine a time when video support would become a priority for me!
There are thousands of composers making music to picture every day. Every day! Plus sound designers.
Every other major DAW has video support, so everyone is using anything but Reason.
It would attract people to Reason who currently aren't using Reason because there's no video support!
no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place,

Riverman

30 Nov 2016

Even Sibelius has video syncing....

Riverman

30 Nov 2016

Faastwalker wrote:I do a fair bit of video stuff. But for me video in Reason is far from a priority. I'm usually doing audio in Reason & exporting for use in a video editing suite where I'm adding video to it. If it was the other way around i.e. adding music to video, then a video player / timeline in Reason would be very useful. But again, I don't really see this as something that is a priority or even a necessity in the Reason environment.
The only time I use Reason for music to picture, is if it's a "needle drop" track with no specific scoring requirements.
Or if it's in the storyboard phase, so there's no cuts to line up with.
But if there's a video with scored hits needed on the cuts, forget it. I'm using another DAW.

selig
RE Developer

30 Nov 2016

Riverman wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:Wasn't there a survey by the Propellerheads about a possible video support?
Anyway, A basic video support to see a video and doing music for the video would be cool. I could then add sound fx to some happenings in the video 100% preciesly.
Audio features are important too, but the audio feature demanders seem always coming up with new ideas, so the video support fans would need to wait til Reason 27 like EnochLight said. We can't assume people buy Nuendo + all the instrumets/effects and learn them + paying for it. Just for few video projects few times a year.
I also can't imagine Reason adding video for a few folks that would only use it a few times a year…

That argument cuts both ways IMO.

I'm no expert, but it seems to be there are many mitigating factors involved beyond just "adding video support"…
Reason itself just isn't designed for scoring to video or adding sound FX, and simply adding video support alone won't necessarily address everyone's needs. Things like nudging frame by frame and inserting events at the exact frame boundary are common tasks, as well as finding tempos to hit sync points (needs markers to even begin to do this manually) come to mind. Video also puts a hit on the CPU, so you either have to account for that by using less CPU with your track or support external video accelerators etc.

I'm one of those guys who needs video once or twice a year, at MOST, and I ReWire to Logic for those projects. And like others, there are SO many AUDIO feature I'd prefer to be addressed long before video support that I can't even imagine a time when video support would become a priority for me!
There are thousands of composers making music to picture every day. Every day! Plus sound designers.
Every other major DAW has video support, so everyone is using anything but Reason.
It would attract people to Reason who currently aren't using Reason because there's no video support!
None of the other DAWs simply have "video support" where all they can do is play a video in sync with the audio. The ones being used every day have tons of additional features curated over years of development and feedback from folks who make "music to picture every day". Those who work at that level would not be attracted to such a simple feature as being suggested here, and the Props are not in a position to add ALL of the required features to attract those who make music to picture every day.

Again, this argument cuts both ways - those who need to score to picture every day need more powerful tools developed by those who understand their needs, while those who want simple video support already use Reason.

Bottom line, I still don't see how Reason attracts those folks who score every day without BEATING the competition - they can't simply match features and folks will flock to Reason, it takes aLOT to get someone who works every day with a specific tool set to jump ship in my experience.

Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

30 Nov 2016

Riverman wrote:
The only time I use Reason for music to picture, is if it's a "needle drop" track with no specific scoring requirements.
Or if it's in the storyboard phase, so there's no cuts to line up with.
But if there's a video with scored hits needed on the cuts, forget it. I'm using another DAW.
Exactly (and same here - I use Logic re-wired to Reason), which is why Reason won't likely add video support, certainly not any time soon.

Selig Audio, LLC

deepndark

30 Nov 2016

When people wanted audio and midi out ... Now we have people resisting video support. These resisters now also use audio and other features.

selig
RE Developer

30 Nov 2016

deepndark wrote:When people wanted audio and midi out ... Now we have people resisting video support. These resisters now also use audio and other features.
The difference is the Props always said they would only do audio when they could do it right - no parallel comments for video so I'd say it's a totally different situation IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

deepndark

30 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:When people wanted audio and midi out ... Now we have people resisting video support. These resisters now also use audio and other features.
The difference is the Props always said they would only do audio when they could do it right - no parallel comments for video so I'd say it's a totally different situation IMO.
I think the whole game has changed for the Props from those days, as their skills allow to add almost anything nowdays. And because video support would sell lots of more copies, in business wise, this would make sense.

deepndark

30 Nov 2016

joeyluck wrote:Propellerhead did somewhat recently survey users; asking who works with video...
They did and my conclusion was they might add video support and propably NOT trying to find a video guy for their team.

selig
RE Developer

30 Nov 2016

deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
I think the whole game has changed for the Props from those days, as their skills allow to add almost anything nowdays. And because video support would sell lots of more copies, in business wise, this would make sense.
How did you do the market research to know this? Come on, you're not considering (or responding to) my points, which are that adding simple video support will appeal to current users, and they are not likely to add "pro" video support which is what it would take to attract NEW users (and sell "lots" more copies).

Also consider that adding video support costs $$$, and selling only "lots" more copies may not even break even on that investment. So I'm not disputing that adding video MAY sell "some" more copies, I'm disputing whether you can know with any certainty how likely they would be to recoup on their investment.

Considering the past and the speed in which they've added what many consider ESSENTIAL features (and how many of these are STILL left un-fullfilled), I still am not swayed to your way of thinking about this feature.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

30 Nov 2016

deepndark wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Propellerhead did somewhat recently survey users; asking who works with video...
They did and my conclusion was they might add video support and propably NOT trying to find a video guy for their team.
Based on what evidence?
Selig Audio, LLC

deepndark

30 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
How did you do the market research to know this? Come on, you're not considering (or responding to) my points, which are that adding simple video support will appeal to current users, and they are not likely to add "pro" video support which is what it would take to attract NEW users (and sell "lots" more copies).

Also consider that adding video support costs $$$, and selling only "lots" more copies may not even break even on that investment. So I'm not disputing that adding video MAY sell "some" more copies, I'm disputing whether you can know with any certainty how likely they would be to recoup on their investment.

Considering the past and the speed in which they've added what many consider ESSENTIAL features (and how many of these are STILL left un-fullfilled), I still am not swayed to your way of thinking about this feature.
I don't compare Reason to any other DAW without thinking how the biggest strenght of Reason is the whole overall feel to it. This is why I've not stopped using it. I love the WAY of the Props and how they make their software. Research, how about your own?
Last edited by deepndark on 30 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

deepndark

30 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
Based on what evidence?
I'd like to know your conclusion why they asked that via their survey?

selig
RE Developer

30 Nov 2016

deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
Based on what evidence?
To find out what the interest level was - why else?
They've asked a number of things that have never come to fruition…it's not like everything they investigate makes sense to come to market.

[EDIT: to be clear, I have no inside information. I'm just shooting the shit like the rest of you, making a "best guess" based on recent and past history.]
Selig Audio, LLC

deepndark

30 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
Based on what evidence?
They've asked a number of things that have never come to fruition…it's not like everything they investigate makes sense to come to market.
Maybe - maybe not. I wouldn't ask if you use Photoshop just for fun if I'd be a Prop. If I did - I'd not ask it form the Reason users only.

selig
RE Developer

30 Nov 2016

deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
Based on what evidence?
Maybe - maybe not. I wouldn't ask if you use Photoshop just for fun if I'd be a Prop. If I did - I'd not ask it form the Reason users only.
You summed it up as I already have - maybe, maybe not. But IMO the evidence leans more toward "maybe not". Now, don't confuse this with MY hopes, as I would certainly love to see video support in Reason - but ONLY after about a hundred or so AUDIO and MUSIC related features are added. At this pace we should it is around Reason XLII or so…
Selig Audio, LLC

deepndark

30 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
Based on what evidence?
You summed it up as I already have - maybe, maybe not. But IMO the evidence leans more toward "maybe not". Now, don't confuse this with MY hopes, as I would certainly love to see video support in Reason - but ONLY after about a hundred or so AUDIO and MUSIC related features are added. At this pace we should it is around Reason XLII or so…
If they already have made a support for video + testing it now and also have added few Audio features also would be great. I don't want video support if I'm gonna be 70 years old. In my 70's I want to have more hair.

selig
RE Developer

30 Nov 2016

deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
Based on what evidence?
If they already have made a support for video + testing it now and also have added few Audio features also would be great. I don't want video support if I'm gonna be 70 years old. In my 70's I want to have more hair.
Dude, where are you getting your information? You are mis-informed - all I can say. So you don't want to wait for video support, but you WILL have to wait. Maybe you'll only be 50 years old - where is the line for you?
Selig Audio, LLC

deepndark

30 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
Based on what evidence?
Dude, where are you getting your information? You are mis-informed - all I can say. So you don't want to wait for video support, but you WILL have to wait. Maybe you'll only be 50 years old - where is the line for you?
I haven't sai I know these for sure. as I stated "if".

• Information