How were you introduced to Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jmax

20 Oct 2016

I was at a friends house way back when and just getting into music production. I didn't know anything or any other programs. My friend had Reason 5 and he said there was this amazing software I had to see. He loaded up Reason and a Redrum player and we spent about an hour coming up with a beat. I was hooked after that. It's been a journey from there on in. I can say that Reason is much more then just a DAW to me but a real way to express myself. Nothing else comes close. Funny enough I still remember that first day we worked on the Redrum beat. I guess that means something.

joeyluck

20 Oct 2016

I purchased a Mac G4 Cube from a friend in 2001.
It had Reason 1 on it. I was immediately hooked.
I then purchased Reason 2 :) and have been using it ever since.

MitchClark89

20 Oct 2016

joeyluck wrote: I then purchased Reason 2 :) and have been using it ever since.
you should really think about upgrading! :lol: :puf_bigsmile:

i was introduced by a friend when go to his house to muck around sometime near 2001 with sampling some guitar playing. he showed me this crazy new program and also rebirth and i remember thinking wow wtf is this !? i had used .mod editors in the years before to make very basic music but this was like a whoooole different worlds. i was hooked and began using reason 3 when it came out along with cubase, protool and logix. sadly i never took the time to really understand reasons capabilities until recently when i finally upgraded from 3 to 8 ! previous all i did saw loop some sample in rex, maybe a redrum beat with a few stock synth lines from a thor and then rewire all into protool or other DAW and build the rest of the song in there. thanks to this forum i have learnt so much even in just the last 6 months that i dont use my other daw any longer!

thank you to reasontalk and all it wonderful users for their help and advice!

MC

Jmax

20 Oct 2016

joeyluck wrote:I purchased a Mac G4 Cube from a friend in 2001.
It had Reason 1 on it. I was immediately hooked.
I then purchased Reason 2 :) and have been using it ever since.
I would die to know what Reason 1 was like? All I know is Reason 5+. Going back in time is more precious sometimes.

joeyluck

21 Oct 2016

MitchClark89 wrote:
joeyluck wrote: I then purchased Reason 2 :) and have been using it ever since.
you should really think about upgrading! :lol: :puf_bigsmile:
Haha! Poor wording... :lol:

aisling

21 Oct 2016

It was around 2000 and I was just getting into mac based DAW production after using ADAT's and cakewalk on a windows based machine with a Roland JV1080 and an emu extreme lead. An acquaintance who was helping me troubleshoot getting my system to work on MAC OS 8.6 pulled out his laptop and fired up Reason 1. I have only turned on my extreme lead and roland JV1080 (loaded with expansion cards including the discontinued for sample violation, dance card) maybe 10 times since. I didn't "officially" own Reason 1 (back then you could copy the program to another machine), but quickly ponied up the money for Reason 2 when it became clear that I would not revisit hardware until I bought the moog sub phatty and sub 37 when they were released.

Troyvasanth

21 Oct 2016

I think in 2001 I just happened to come across fruityloops, I guess it was version 3. I had to mention this because if it wasn't for that encounter I probably wouldn't be making music today. Then in 2006 I came across Reason version 4 while searching for an alternative DAW. The modular capabilities of reason just blew me away. Pressing the TAB button to see the animated wire connections was a joy. I kept doing that like a mad man. I was a student and didn't have much fund to own a license back in the day so I was using a cracked version of reason. Then came version 5 which was still available as a cracked software. After this Props made it difficult to crack so no more versions were out to download. Since 2009 I have tried all the DAWs available and I was never satisfied with any of them (Its not that they are bad but they were not inspiring enough). I mean the freedom to route anything to almost anywhere in any configuration is so inspiring and the crazy no of RE's oh nothing beats it. Finally in 2015 I quit my job and bought reason 8. Since then I've been making music full time. Also I've upgraded it to 9 and I love the players.Sorry went on to so much details, My love for Reason is such. :D

Noplan
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2016

Piracy.

Vince-Noir-99

21 Oct 2016

Gorbushka black market, Moscow 2005 :)
Fiddled with it a little bit, but stuck with Ableton until I switched to R8.
The lack of audio tracks put me off, and the synth playground approach could vastly be satisfied with Reaktor and MaxMSP.
I'm glad now things are much simpler and I only use one program.

Lov2sing

21 Oct 2016

A friend of mine was going from Reason to Pro-tools and gave me Reason 2.5 and since that time I up-graded to each up-grade and will continue to do so. I still own Logic but Reason is my main DAW. One day my hope are that Reason will do Video sinking, Scoring notation, and Yea VST's or just a way to have UA plug-ins. We have nothing that matches the Manley Massive/Passive or the Shadow Hills Compressor for mastering. Other than that I am Reason user for life. The rest do not make you feel like you're in a studio with all the controls; IMO.
We make music for a reason

jonheal

21 Oct 2016

Google.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Ottostrom

21 Oct 2016

I was browsing videos on youtube showing off a small midi keyboard I was thinking about pruchasing. In one of the videos the guy was using Reason 4 to show how the keyboard worked and I just thought "hey, nice colors!". Thats about it really. The only other daw I had ever seen was FL studio and that program has always rubbed me the wrong way when it comes to the interface.

Gorgon

21 Oct 2016

I was using Rebirth at the time, and also things like AXS (which was a tracker with a built-in synth, quite impressive for that time). I heard about Reason being developed and when it was released someone I knew gave me a pirated copy on CD. I was completely skint, so there was no way for me to be able to buy it, but I did buy it as soon as I could afford it, which was when Reason 4 came around. :)

It was unbelievable, a complete studio inside the computer with patching capabilities, that's how I saw it. Me and my friend (who I sometimes made music with) were completely awestruck.

Here's a screenshot of that good old AXS:

"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

The Tone Ranger

21 Oct 2016

I was doing a music technology course at college and overheard a couple of other students talking about it. Looked it up online and found the propellerhead website showing Reason 2. It looked a lot better than what was available at college so started saving and got it a few months later.

adfielding

21 Oct 2016

I was looking to step away from trackers in the early 00s and someone (I forget who, unfortunately!) suggested I check out Reason. I tried out a bunch of stuff and was ready to give up when I tried out the R1 demo and it blew me away. I was still a penniless teenager at the time so I saved up for a while and picked it up as soon as I could. To this day I'd still say it's the best musical purchase I've ever made, hands down.

8cros

21 Oct 2016

I found Reason 1 is not a long time, almost immediately I switched to Reason 2.
I liked the Reactor before. And most of the time spent on Fasttracker 2 and VAZ modular. I still want to have the reactor player for Reason.
Or Reason core. Same as in the reactor.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

dioxide

21 Oct 2016

I had a small and very limited hardware setup at the time (98-99) and had started to dabble with VSTis and Cubase VST, which both crashed constantly but in some ways offered more than my hardware setup. I'm not sure where I heard about it first but I knew of Rebirth and remember seeing the Propellerhead website with the previews of Reason on. As the VSTs I was using were so basic and unstable at the time I couldn't wait to try it. Eventually got a pirated version off a friend and started using that. I went legit when v2 came out and stuck with it since.

Mystile

21 Oct 2016

Noplan wrote: Piracy.

pretty much, I think it was reason 2 for me when I jumped on, a friend of mine had talked about reason before, at the time I was very fresh, my music production prior to reason was using loops on a version of Acid Music I bought from staples...eeeeventually I became a upstanding paying customer haha

moneykube

21 Oct 2016

reason adapted 2.5 came with protools... had rebirth at the time
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

EnochLight

21 Oct 2016

Great thread!

I'd heard about Reason through Propellerhead tech support back in the ReBirth days (around late 1999/early 2000). I was looking for the ability to be able to control ReBirth through a hardware MIDI keyboard - and believe me - the selection and various options for just MIDI controllers was absolutely crap back then! I was told by tech support to stay tuned because something awesome was in the works, and then... I promptly forgot about it. LOL!

About 6 months to a year later - hard to remember - I was at a LAN party (Team Fortress Classic FTW)! The admin had Reason running on his computer, and it caught my eye. I asked him about it (pretty sure he had a pirated version), and it slowly started to make sense that this was the software that Props tech support mentioned to me back in my ReBirth days. I sat in front of his computer for almost the whole party - never read the manual - it just "made sense", and I was making music within minutes.

The next day, I went out and bought a copy.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dhruan

21 Oct 2016

I really got into electronic music making and production kind of late to the game, had seen a friend use and recommend Reason 2.5, then demoe'd 3 and finally bit the bullet when 4 came out. Have been on this road since and couldn't be happier. :)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Creativemind

21 Oct 2016

It was in 2003 or 4 when I went on short course on Music Production whilst living in New Zealand. The guy had Cubase SX3, Nuendo 3, Cool Edit and Reason Adapted. The class were using all of the above and the guy teaching us had just got Sampletank 2.5XL as it had just come out. Awesome!

Then, not knowing how to get my head around the complexities of a DAW, it wasn't till started college in September 2012 that I started using Reason 6 and then about a month later bought Reason 6.5 that had come out about 3 months prior. I was a little annoyed I never got Polar, Pulsar or Radical Piano but still. I stuck with that until just before 8 came out, when I purchased Reason 7. I played around for about 8-9 days on that, getting into the audio quantize, new sounds, audiomatic (I think), spectrum EQ and the grouping on the main mixer. Then 8-9 days later got my free upgrade to 8.

Wow! New transport, drag 'n' drop, browser etc. I beta tested Reason 9 about 3 months ago but haven't upgraded yet.

Think I'm holding out for 10.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

21 Oct 2016

Noplan wrote:
Piracy.
There's always one ain't there. LOL! tickled me pink that.

Are you Jack Sparrow oooh wahhhh!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

txh003

21 Oct 2016

I was introduced to Reason 2.0 at a Guitar Center, when I was making the transition from a mostly hardware to primarily software studio environment. The only software used in my studio, at that time, was Master Tracks Pro, a software MIDI sequencer. All audio tracks were recorded on multiple ADATs or, on rare occasions, a Roland VS-880.

To make a long story short, I ultimately purchased Reason 2.0 and Cubase SX, with the intention of using both applications via Rewire. However, my workflow seemed to function better with using only Cubase SX and VSTs.

One major selling point of Reason, at least for me, was the Reload application, which converted Akai S3000/S1000 samples to NN-XT format. As an owner of several Akai samplers, MPCs and rack units, being able to convert a large portion of my instrument sample CD collection was a huge deal to me. Later, I purchased the Chicken System sampler converter, which opened a wide range of other sample format conversions. However, at the time, Reload was a big asset for me to purchase the Reason application.

Although I have upgraded Reason a few times since my initial purchase, as I am presently on Reason 7.1, the said application has not played a major role in my production efforts as of today. Nevertheless, I am interested to see what the future holds for Reason.
Last edited by txh003 on 21 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

FlowerSoldier

21 Oct 2016

Story Time Mother Flowers!
2001 - Me n muh homeboy worked at a sushi restaurant in Santa Cruz. I told him I make beats. He was like, man you ever try Reason? I was like, naw man I use Cakewalk. He was all, well you should check it out. I was like, naw man you should check out Cakewalk. Then one day he brought the Reason 1.0 install disc to work and told me to try that shit. Well...I tried it.

I pretty much forgot about Cakewalk after that.

I'm not proud to admit I used *cough* Ver. 5.0 for a lot of years...I think maybe a lot of us did.

Once the Props added RE functionality to the rack, I ponied up the cash. I eventually bought myself Ver. 8.0 for Christmas one year, and now I'm on 9. I also bought 2 copies of Essentials for my nieces & nephews. Owning a real license, just...feels good man.

In retrospect, it's amazing to see how far the Props have taken Reason.

• Information