Can't play standalone software instruments from Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
withnail

16 Oct 2016

Hi,

I'm trying to play Aria Player (standalone) from Reason.
Using an external MIDI device I can play external MIDI hardware synths no problem, the notes in the reason piano roll play on the external hardware.
I'd like to also use Reason to play standalone music applications like Aria Player and VSTHost on my computer but notes played on the Reason piano roll are not being picked up by these standalone programs.

I think I'm misunderstanding something fundamental here as well that I'm hoping someone can put me straight on...when I fire up MIDIOx and get Reason to send notes to an external hardware synth from the piano roll the synth plays the notes but I see no MIDI activity via MIDI Ox, which is confusing me.

Any help greatly appreciated.
WN

withnail

16 Oct 2016

I should add that I can hear these standalone softsynths if I play my MIDI keyboard.
I've them playing on my internal motherboard soundcard and the output of the internal soundcard plugged into a set of inputs on my main audio interface.
It's just they don't pick up MIDI coming from Reason like the hardware synths.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2016

withnail wrote:I should add that I can hear these standalone softsynths if I play my MIDI keyboard.
I've them playing on my internal motherboard soundcard and the output of the internal soundcard plugged into a set of inputs on my main audio interface.
It's just they don't pick up MIDI coming from Reason like the hardware synths.
I only have one external standalone program (Korg M1).

Just hooked it up.

I installed loopMidi (from here http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html)
I use this to loopback to Reason before the players could do what I wanted.

Set my standalone to use it loopmidi, in the EMI in Reason set it to use loopmidi, now my KB (and piano roll) plays the standalone via Reason.

withnail

16 Oct 2016

Thanks Carly, that worked.
Cheers, much appreciated.
wn

• Information