couple roadblocks with REASON 9.0

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
konception

01 Oct 2016

So I'm using some nucleus soundlabls combinator patches , I want to record them to track and than stop playing i get them recording by pressing run but it will continue to run and play the whole time. * normally in old reason you would do copy pattern to track I can't figure out how to do this between locators. I read somewhere you need to put a "player" above the combinator and send pattern to track * couldn't see how this connects nothing played or sent.. Im stuck on a new song and need some advice ! baby steps please

I can't figure out how to cross fade parts of my song * need help

Cant figure out how to automate parts of song

thanks again I'm pulling out my hair, youtube google etc no luck

QVprod

01 Oct 2016

The Reason 9 players are irrelevant to this and there's no way to copy pattern to track from a combinator. However, one of the devices in the combinator is what's causing the patch to run, You may be able to copy pattern to track from that and disable run.

stfual

01 Oct 2016

konception wrote:

Can you give a summary of what it is you want to automate ? There are a fair number of youtube videos on automation but if you can be specific its probably possible to walk you through it. I know that roadblock feeling.

Gorgon

01 Oct 2016

konception wrote:So I'm using some nucleus soundlabls combinator patches , I want to record them to track and than stop playing i get them recording by pressing run but it will continue to run and play the whole time. * normally in old reason you would do copy pattern to track I can't figure out how to do this between locators. I read somewhere you need to put a "player" above the combinator and send pattern to track * couldn't see how this connects nothing played or sent.. Im stuck on a new song and need some advice ! baby steps please

Reason comes with a manual. Read it.

Hint: the manual even comes with an index!
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Olivier

01 Oct 2016

@Gorgon:
Instead of just telling someone to RTFM, how about being really helpfull and link to the right articles ?
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

WongoTheSane

01 Oct 2016

OP, it would help if you could add more details: which sounds from Nucleus Soundlabs are you trying to record? Which patch from which Refill? I'm asking because there's obviously a sequence playing in that combinator, but it could come from any number of sources (Matrix, Redrum, RPG8, Thor, etc), and the solution can be different depending on how it's generated. If you can specify exactly which patch you're using, anyone who has that same refill can check how the patch is done and help you with it.

In the same way, could you elaborate on the crossfading thing? There are myriads of way of doing this, depending on the source material and what you're trying to achieve. For instance, crossfading whole songs for a DJ set will be vastly different from crossfading two cellos for a fortissimo part. Are your tracks audio or MIDI? Are you crossfading several instruments/tracks at once? Is it the final production stage or are you planning to keep editing the tracks afterwards?

Same for automating parts of the song: usually, automation is directed towards controls (you can automate a knob, a button...), but if you wish to chain whole blocks for instance, it's quite different (and the terms will be different). If you can give us a little description of what you're trying to achieve, that'll go a long way. And don't be afraid to "use the wrong terms", we've all been there :)

Gorgon

01 Oct 2016

eauhm wrote:@Gorgon:
Instead of just telling someone to RTFM, how about being really helpfull and link to the right articles ?
1. I didn't say RTFM.

2. Why? There's lots more useful information in the manual that the TS might stumble upon. That is way more helpful than spoonfeeding him.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Olivier

01 Oct 2016

Gorgon wrote:
1. I didn't say RTFM.

2. Why? There's lots more useful information in the manual that the TS might stumble upon. That is way more helpful than spoonfeeding him.
You are well aware of what "implying" means. How is it not patronizing to "hint" that there's an index to a manual.
You know what you are doing, i'm telling you to stop it. And if you don't understand, seeing as you allready have 1 warning, please ask a mod.

Sorry for this interuption, please carry on :)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Kenni
Site Admin

01 Oct 2016

Gorgon wrote:
konception wrote:So I'm using some nucleus soundlabls combinator patches , I want to record them to track and than stop playing i get them recording by pressing run but it will continue to run and play the whole time. * normally in old reason you would do copy pattern to track I can't figure out how to do this between locators. I read somewhere you need to put a "player" above the combinator and send pattern to track * couldn't see how this connects nothing played or sent.. Im stuck on a new song and need some advice ! baby steps please

Reason comes with a manual. Read it.

Hint: the manual even comes with an index!
When someone asks for help, don't reply unless your intent is to actually help. The belittling tone serves no one.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Loque

01 Oct 2016

A simple solution could be, attach any Player to the Combinator abd press "send pattern to track". Than disable all sequencers or Players in the Combinator.
Reason12, Win10

Gorgon

01 Oct 2016

eauhm wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
1. I didn't say RTFM.

You are well aware of what "implying" means. How is it not patronizing to "hint" that there's an index to a manual.
You know what you are doing, i'm telling you to stop it. And if you don't understand, seeing as you allready have 1 warning, please ask a mod.

Sorry for this interuption, please carry on :)
So pointing people to a document that has all the answers someone needs is not allowed here? Is that it?

I got that 1 warning for nothing either. So how about you go fuck yourself.

WongoTheSane

01 Oct 2016

3... 2... 1...

Kenni
Site Admin

01 Oct 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:3... 2... 1...
:)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

AttenuationHz

01 Oct 2016

Popcorn.gif
Popcorn.gif (333.07 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

chimp_spanner

01 Oct 2016

Haha damn, it's taken as much time to argue about telling someone to RTFM as it would've done to just answer the question.

1) You can't crossfade (afaik) but you can automate the volume on two separate tracks so that one goes down as the other goes up. Or use any number of utility style Rack Extensions that have multiple inputs and allow you to crossfade between them, again with automation.

2) To automate, just alt+click any parameter, and an automation lane will be created for it. You can double click or pencil in new clips/parts like you would do for notes, and draw automation in them. You can also just hit record and move a control and it'll make the lane for you.

konception

01 Oct 2016

lets see wow I'm just surprised by how fast you guys responded thanks for the advice and criticism ! I just upgraded from 6.5 many things are new, I think My first reason was 3.0. I never really used to use many refills I am using so therefore not used to using many combinators so some of my questions might be "newb". I like the idea of putting a player on top of the combinator * I couldn't see where to wire it or how to actually get pattern to track the REFILLS are

Ambient Space : you should not be and Wastelands stacked on top of each other playing at the same time

I need it to crossfade as it finishes and lead into a guitar part ..... RE crossfade in logic you take the pointer hold shift at the edge of a part and it fades out slightly

Automation in logic I click write and I use the fade tools to automate parameters of the song....

seems like a good forum glad to be here ! I have been off music for awhile! getting back into it new preamp reason upgrade and new midi always inspires ! lol

konception

01 Oct 2016

re crossfade I tried to DO THIS but couldn't find the crossfade knobs didn't move

chimp_spanner

01 Oct 2016

konception wrote:lets see wow I'm just surprised by how fast you guys responded thanks for the advice and criticism ! I just upgraded from 6.5 many things are new, I think My first reason was 3.0. I never really used to use many refills I am using so therefore not used to using many combinators so some of my questions might be "newb". I like the idea of putting a player on top of the combinator * I couldn't see where to wire it or how to actually get pattern to track the REFILLS are

Ambient Space : you should not be and Wastelands stacked on top of each other playing at the same time

I need it to crossfade as it finishes and lead into a guitar part ..... RE crossfade in logic you take the pointer hold shift at the edge of a part and it fades out slightly

Automation in logic I click write and I use the fade tools to automate parameters of the song....

seems like a good forum glad to be here ! I have been off music for awhile! getting back into it new preamp reason upgrade and new midi always inspires ! lol
Oh you can fade audio parts using corner handles in Reason too. If you actually want to crossfade between two files on the same track, you can't do that. Yet.

Automation in Reason is probably its strongest point, once you get used to it. You'll wonder how you ever lived without clip based automation. No points or lines on lanes. Just clips, that you can duplicate, reverse, time stretch (using CTRL+resize). It really is great!

konception

01 Oct 2016

i couldn't get it to corner cross fade * i help control click nothing happened

Aikmofobi

01 Oct 2016

The regular corner handles aren't actually crossfades. They're just fade ins and fade outs

konception

01 Oct 2016

I am still going NUTS trying to cross fade one part so it doesn't DROP OFF followed that youtube doesn't work.

I still can't figure out how record the run pattern combi * tried putting player on top send notes nothing.

konception

01 Oct 2016

THERE ARE NO HANDLES UNDER ANY EDIT MODE

Adding Crossfades to Cuts
To add a crossfade zone to a Cut (between two Segments), proceed as follows:
D Select a Cut Handle and then drag the Cut Crossfade Handle to the right.
Click and drag the Cut Crossfade Handle... ...to introduce a crossfade between the segments
The crossfade slopes are indicated by curves on the assigned Segments. The longer the crossfade time, the flatter the curves.
D To remove a crossfade, simply drag the Cut Crossfade Handle all the way to the left.

konception

01 Oct 2016

this is a first thread in my life with 25 responses none of them answering my question! BOY DO I WISH THE REASON FORUMS WERE STILL OPEN! seriously like STUCK AND ANNOYED ..... anyway. a simple crossfade and record shouldn't be so difficult this is why i haven't upgraded to reason and prefer logic LOGICAL.

konception

01 Oct 2016

I guess I'm trying to fade in fade out

konception

01 Oct 2016

and still record the combinator patches..... 17 straight hours. lOl

• Information