Using Novation Launchpad with Reason 8 Advice Required

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ionly

28 Sep 2016

Hi, hope you're all keeping fine.

I've just purchased Novation's Launchpad S and, after downloading Automap for W7, I've managed to map it successfully to Kong (bottom left 4x4 pads). I'm really pleased with its functionality, but was wondering how you guys are mapping/using it for other instruments, or anything for that matter(?) One thing I'd like to do is toggle between instruments using a column of assigned pads.

Any ideas, or links, would be greatly appreciated - it's a waste to have those other redundant pads gathering dust!

Cheers

EDIT: I already have Launchcontrol for controlling other parameters (faders/pan/filters/effects)

Catblack

04 Oct 2016

I am not sure if it's compatible, but you should take a look at http://www.irregular-cluster.de/launchpadmk2.html#news

Edit: or return it and get a mk2, or better still, a Pro. ;)
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

ionly

04 Oct 2016

Hi Catblack,
thanks for the link. Some REs on there - NICE. I found a map/codec download recently, and considered having a go at modifying it, but I'm going to try your suggestion first. Had a further play with Novation's Automap software also. The Launchpad is getting some use at last (although minimal) :)

Cheers
Last edited by ionly on 04 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

ionly

04 Oct 2016

PS>
Wanna buy a Launchpad S? ;)

Catblack

08 Oct 2016

You may want to look at J74's ISO Controllers, which runs as a max/msp standalone program in between your launchpad and Reason. It will give you a bunch more playing modes. (I've integrated all of his modes and more, plus color palettes to mine for the Pro.)

But the codec for the mk2 on Irregular Cluster is written very, very straightforwardly, and should be easy to modify for your S. Though I say that not having seen the differences in programming manuals for those two models. But it _should_ be a matter of comparing what each model is doing, and then modifying his get_new_value() function to handle the non-rgb output for your S. All of the 3-digit color return numbers will probably be different (and limited) for the S. The trick would be to NOT CHANGE the order of any Item= items in remote_init, because where he's using remote.get_item_state(number), that number refers to the ORDER which those items are defined.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

ionly

09 Oct 2016

Cool, will do, many thanks again for that. I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Ejectzero

16 Jul 2018

Catblack wrote:
08 Oct 2016
You may want to look at J74's ISO Controllers, which runs as a max/msp standalone program in between your launchpad and Reason. It will give you a bunch more playing modes. (I've integrated all of his modes and more, plus color palettes to mine for the Pro.)

But the codec for the mk2 on Irregular Cluster is written very, very straightforwardly, and should be easy to modify for your S. Though I say that not having seen the differences in programming manuals for those two models. But it _should_ be a matter of comparing what each model is doing, and then modifying his get_new_value() function to handle the non-rgb output for your S. All of the 3-digit color return numbers will probably be different (and limited) for the S. The trick would be to NOT CHANGE the order of any Item= items in remote_init, because where he's using remote.get_item_state(number), that number refers to the ORDER which those items are defined.
Thanks for this, was exactly what I was looking for. Just a good player controller. Launchpad 95 is amazing with the Launchpad MK2 in Ableton but was stuck with Reason!

• Information