Reason & YouTube simultaneously

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
doksan

12 Aug 2016

I am learning built up Jean Michel Jarre's ARP 2600 synth bass using Thor oscillators. But i need to watch YouTube and play Reason at the same time. In Cubase no problem. Can i do that?

joeyluck

12 Aug 2016

If I'm understanding correctly what you are trying to do...
Under 'Preferences > Audio' select 'Play in background'

doksan

12 Aug 2016

Hi, thanks for the reply. "Play background" already was selected. Now i have no sound from YouTube, because i open up "Reason 8"

tobypearce

13 Aug 2016

It's certainly possible. I do this myself. I didn't have to engage any odd settings in Reason, so perhaps there is something else that is different in your setup.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

dagwood

14 Aug 2016

doksan wrote:I am learning built up Jean Michel Jarre's ARP 2600 synth bass using Thor oscillators. But i need to watch YouTube and play Reason at the same time. In Cubase no problem. Can i do that?
Assuming you're on PC. If you are, is it possible that you have two different audio drivers selected? One for Reason (I would assume your ASIO interface), and another driver for Window's default sound?

If so, go into Windows audio settings and select the same audio interface and drivers that you are using in Reason as your default playback device. Then you should be able to watch content in your web browser while at the same time producing in Reason.

If you are using two different audio interface drivers, it's possible that - even though you have audio checked off to "play in background" in Reason, as soon as you go outside of Reason and select your web browser, Windows can't manage access to two different audio drivers at the same time. Not without some setup, anyway.

Good luck!

pushedbutton

14 Aug 2016

I use my onboard sound for everyday stuff and my external soundcard for Reason exclusively. you'll need another set of speakers to do this though.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Jagwah

15 Aug 2016

If I use ASIO4ALL with Reason then backround tasks have no sound, if I use my stock sound card and driver I can play anything and everything at the same time.

ezelkow1

15 Aug 2016

^ Thats an asio4all issue. a4l doesnt allow any mixing of asio+wdm

I think usually the focusrite drivers will allow asio+wdm audio, but both have to be running at the same sample rate. So if you have reason set to 44.1, then go into your windows sound settings and make sure your windows sound output for the saffire is also running at 44.1 (right click speaker, open playback devices, double click on your saffire speakers output, advanced tab and make sure bit depth+SR match your daw). I do this on my scarlett for that specific reason.

It can also be a bit finnicky the first time you do it if you have things open and not set right. So Id also make sure to set it how you want in your daw, exit, also make sure your browser is closed, set windows settings, then re-open everything again. If its not working with that try a reboot and then try it again

Only a few soundcards/drivers support asio+wdm at the same time at different sample rates, native instruments being the only one I know off the top of my head since I used to do it with an AK1 card. So with that I could run a daw at say 48, windows at 44.1 and have no issues mixing apps. Some drivers on the other hand dont support mixing of asio and wdm what so ever and they give asio preference

The exclusive mode setting doesnt really matter either in this instance, since you'll see that in the windows settings too and probably wonder

dagwood

15 Aug 2016

The OP is curiously absent. I wonder if they figured out their issue...

selig
RE Developer

15 Aug 2016

For this sort of work I get the audio in Reason so I'm working in one program alone. I use screen capture software to record the audio and import into Reason. Then it's easier to isolate or loop the part you want to focus on and alternate it with MIDI notes playing the patch you're building. That's my 2 cents fwiw…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

campbejo
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2016

I posted about this issue a few weeks ago and found a solution but never posted back.

If you're using Saffire MixControl simply set Monitor Output 1 & 2 to Mix 1 (L) & Mix 2 (R) and do the same for Loopback 1 & 2. You should now have the ability to listen to anything anytime. Additionally, if you open reasons audio i/o on the hardware interface and select more audio and connect inputs 19 & 20 to the sampling input you can sample any audio on your PC.

Jonty

23 Jul 2017

I just installed Reason for the first time and am starting to play with it. I struck this issue straight away as you really need to have the Youtube tutorials running so you can go back/forth to Reason to follow the steps.

Hopefully one of the above fixes solves the issue thanks. Will try tonight.

My 1st post here too. Looking forward to learning more about using this software. I'm already blown away with the features after messing around with it for a couple of hours :)

frm5993

17 Feb 2019

i have the same problem as OP. youtube is fine once i exit reason.
also, just attached usb speakers, and i want reason to come out of it but it wont; it still comes out inbuilt speakers EVEN WHEN THEY ARE DISABLED IN WIN SETTINGS! however, youtube comes out of the usb speakers fine, even when reason is open. there is no setting in reason to change output routing! the windows mixer that shows input and output routing doesnt see reason at all. the internal stuff of reason is great, but external stuff sucks.
help!

NekujaK

18 Feb 2019

This is by no means a solution, but as a very simple workaround - you could watch the YouTube video on a smartphone or tablet while working in Reason. In fact, for those of us whose studio PCs are disconnected from the internet, it's really the only way to do it.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

PeterP

18 Feb 2019

If you're running Windows, make sure that the Windows Sounds System is using the same sample rate as ASIO / Reason.

Here's how you change it in Win10:

1) Right-click the Speaker icon in your system tray and click Playback devices.
2) Select your speaker / output device, then click Properties. (This can be a bit confusing if you have both a standalone USB sound card, and a built in motherboard sound chip).
3) Click the Advanced tab.
4) Click the drop-down and it will show you the sample rate and bit depths options. Make sure it says 44100 or 48000 to match the settings of your Reason audio settings / ASIO driver control panel.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2019

May i assume you're using a consumer grade audio card from your computer? If so, you should invest a bit on a good sound card for music production. From what i remember, MAudio, RME, Focusrite, and a bunch of other brands allow multi driver, multi client (multi software's at the same time) audio.

frm5993

18 Feb 2019

@ PeterP i found that, but the sample rate dropdown was grayed out.

@mcatalao so the audio card can only recognize one audio source at a time? i find that hard to believe. i have had plenty of games open with youtube and been fine. reaper never gave me these problems either.

kuhliloach

18 Feb 2019

In Windows 7 when I use my Mackie Onyx Blackjack this problem does not happen. In Reason the Mackie ASIO driver is selected and in Windows Onyx Blackjack Audio is selected. They function simultaneously with no problem.

• Information