The old PUF Forum Threads

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

07 Aug 2016

Hi All!

Just a question for anyone in the know...

Have the old Propellerhead User Forum Threads been destroyed by Propellerhead?

I had some good threads on there with some very useful information, also some threads started one way and ended up being very good discussions. I was gutted when they got shut down.

I would like my threads as read-only.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

tibah

07 Aug 2016

It's gone. Forever. No read only mode.

You may have some luck using: http://archive.org/web/

Well...

It works and it doesn't at the same time, because you can't browse any forum but beginners if you are not logged in and I doubt this can be done by using WayBackMachine.

normen

07 Aug 2016

I think some people did a crawl though the forum and did their personal backup. But yeah, the actual PUF is at least not accessible anymore. If the Props actually deleted the db - who knows. They do use the forum software for RE developers still.

Lov2sing

07 Aug 2016

What ever happen to the free refills and why didn't the put them in the store?
We make music for a reason

househoppin09

08 Aug 2016

normen wrote:I think some people did a crawl though the forum and did their personal backup. But yeah, the actual PUF is at least not accessible anymore. If the Props actually deleted the db - who knows. They do use the forum software for RE developers still.

I, too, had some threads on the PUF that contained information I've been desperate to retrieve, and never dared to hope that anyone had archived them. Would you happen to have any specific information about who may have done those backups? If you can refer me to anyone (via PM if necessary, if they wouldn't want their info floating around publicly in this thread), I would be extremely grateful.

jonheal

08 Aug 2016

For Propellerhead to actually remove read access (which had been there for a while) ... I don't know ... I have a hard time interpreting that in any way other than "sour grapes."

It's difficult to justify the destruction of knowledge under any circumstances. (Although it probably wouldn't hurt if humanity suddenly forgot how to build atom bombs.)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

gak

08 Aug 2016

jonheal wrote: It's difficult to justify the destruction of knowledge under any circumstances.
Correct Mr. Montag!

Gorgon

09 Aug 2016

Propellerhead are assholes. There were real gems in there, a whole thread about free Reaktor synths (maybe that was something they didn't particularly like), all kinds of tutorials and howto's, even some guy making a calculator out of the 512 Vocoder and CV signals. All gone, everything. The person who decided to kill off the forum entirely is probably an extremely spiteful person who doesn't stand up for old ladies on the bus.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Territan

09 Aug 2016

gak wrote:
jonheal wrote: It's difficult to justify the destruction of knowledge under any circumstances.
Correct Mr. Montag!
The destruction of knowledge is, indeed, a terrible thing.

The destruction of a sewer pipe, constantly clogged with claims that the company's flagship product—as well as the company itself—was doomed because it didn't include one very specific feature that the author desperately needs to write the next Beethoven's 5th (and 35% of the time it was damned VST support) and bitter complaints about that one feature that the author is too skilled to ever need or which is totally useless and which keep people from upgrading to the latest version, is at worst an act of pragmatism and at best an act of gleeful catharsis at the notion that the gaggle of whinging tossers that are being kicked out are no longer their problem.

Given the balance between the two on the PUF, I have a hard time blaming Propellerhead for pulling the [FLUSH] lever.
-This space intentionally left apathetic-

joeyluck

09 Aug 2016

Gorgon wrote:Propellerhead are assholes. There were real gems in there, a whole thread about free Reaktor synths (maybe that was something they didn't particularly like), all kinds of tutorials and howto's, even some guy making a calculator out of the 512 Vocoder and CV signals. All gone, everything. The person who decided to kill off the forum entirely is probably an extremely spiteful person who doesn't stand up for old ladies on the bus.
Gorgon, you are entitled to your opinion of the handling of XYZ. However we do not tolerate name-calling/insults and attacks here.
At the end of the day, Propellerhead are people too. And they are members of this forum as well.

Creativemind

09 Aug 2016

It was a shame they didn't allow the downloading of your own threads as read-only for your own viewing purposes.

joeyluck

09 Aug 2016

Creativemind wrote:It was a shame they didn't allow the downloading of your own threads as read-only for your own viewing purposes.
They gave us a heads up to do just that and I saved some of mine :puf_smile:

OldGoat

09 Aug 2016

I'm happy with what IS still available using archive.org.
The forum is not archived due to its forms-based-authentication, or is there any way to view the threads using archive.org?

For example this gem:

http://web.archive.org/web/200308021857 ... gs_Dub.rns

jonheal

09 Aug 2016

Wait a minute, is that the goat the guy has an argument with in Spanish?

jonheal

09 Aug 2016

Territan wrote:
gak wrote:
Correct Mr. Montag!
The destruction of knowledge is, indeed, a terrible thing.

The destruction of a sewer pipe, constantly clogged with claims that the company's flagship product—as well as the company itself—was doomed because it didn't include one very specific feature that the author desperately needs to write the next Beethoven's 5th (and 35% of the time it was damned VST support) and bitter complaints about that one feature that the author is too skilled to ever need or which is totally useless and which keep people from upgrading to the latest version, is at worst an act of pragmatism and at best an act of gleeful catharsis at the notion that the gaggle of whinging tossers that are being kicked out are no longer their problem.

Given the balance between the two on the PUF, I have a hard time blaming Propellerhead for pulling the [FLUSH] lever.
Yeah, there was a lot of chaff with the wheat, that's for sure. And people did get pretty abusive. I got banned for a while once (or twice?) myself, and I consider myself a pretty meek person, normally. But tempers flared quite often there. I don't know if it's like that on other music software forums, or not.

Maybe Reason users, like the program itself, are a kind of unique crowd — with maybe a bit more of a tendency towards Asperger's than the user populations of other DAWs. :)

OldGoat

09 Aug 2016

jonheal wrote:Wait a minute, is that the goat the guy has an argument with in Spanish?
My name is Legion, for we are many.
Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
It is... :puf_bigsmile:

jonheal

09 Aug 2016

I know goats like to stand on stuff, and it has been a life long desire of mine to get a picture of me down on all fours with a goat on my back. Not a giant goat like yours. That would be pretty painful, but maybe a petting zoo baby goat. I think that would make a fine profile picture.

OldGoat

10 Aug 2016

jonheal wrote:I know goats like to stand on stuff, and it has been a life long desire of mine to get a picture of me down on all fours with a goat on my back. Not a giant goat like yours. That would be pretty painful, but maybe a petting zoo baby goat. I think that would make a fine profile picture.
Yes, it should be a baby-goat otherwise you will get hurt...one of my cats has the behaviour to climb on my shoulders during phone-conferences when I work at home, so with a cat it would be an easy task to get such a picture...

Creativemind

10 Aug 2016

How do you access the old puf threads at archive.org then?

jonheal

25 Aug 2016

I just found that the old Propellerheads User Forum is still available. If you go to this page, the search functionality still works:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showpost.php

Some of them, anyway, but not the Advanced Forum, apparently ...

househoppin09

27 Aug 2016

Well, thanks to this thread, the props have now not only killed that link, but blocked all access to the PUF archives in the Wayback Machine. Mission accomplished, I guess... :|

jonheal

27 Aug 2016

househoppin09 wrote:Well, thanks to this thread, the props have now not only killed that link, but blocked all access to the PUF archives in the Wayback Machine. Mission accomplished, I guess... :|
This link still works (at least in the U.S.). Just click on Search, and enter a value.

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showpost.php

moneykube

27 Aug 2016

oh ya.... forgot... the glorious book burning
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Creativemind

27 Aug 2016

househoppin09 wrote:
normen wrote:I think some people did a crawl though the forum and did their personal backup. But yeah, the actual PUF is at least not accessible anymore. If the Props actually deleted the db - who knows. They do use the forum software for RE developers still.

I, too, had some threads on the PUF that contained information I've been desperate to retrieve, and never dared to hope that anyone had archived them. Would you happen to have any specific information about who may have done those backups? If you can refer me to anyone (via PM if necessary, if they wouldn't want their info floating around publicly in this thread), I would be extremely grateful.
Me too. Most greatly grateful.

Creativemind

27 Aug 2016

It really was a very shady thing to do imo. Should've given people the option to at least download any threads started by themselves before destroying.

• Information