Possible "coloration" of SSL mixer vs. 14:2 mixer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

07 Aug 2016

8cros wrote: Now we can say that the mixer changes sound. Even if it's masked.
We can rise to conspiracy theories. :D
It has a low level, but the effect on the harmonics greater than the fundamental tone.
IMO we cannot (Yet) say that since some of us are proving otherwise. I'm not sure what you're suggesting about the harmonics…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

07 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:
orthodox wrote:
8cros wrote:24-bit is not enough. Because in my case, after subtracting the signals I added +163.2 decibels...
I would like to remind you that the machine epsilon is -138.5 dB for the Float32 type.
So anything you may discover in that range is simply a digital noise that comes from rounding errors.
In MClass equalizer for example no one rounding error. :roll:
You mean MClass EQ with idle settings? I may simply copy input to output when nothing is on.

The 14:2 fader sets the gain factor not exactly equal to 1.000000. It is slightly different by a small margin. If you subtract its output from the original, you will get about -110dB. If you amplify it, you will get almost the same signal, but with only 4 correct mantissa bits instead of the original 23.

8cros

07 Aug 2016

orthodox wrote:
8cros wrote:
orthodox wrote:
8cros wrote:24-bit is not enough. Because in my case, after subtracting the signals I added +163.2 decibels...
I would like to remind you that the machine epsilon is -138.5 dB for the Float32 type.
So anything you may discover in that range is simply a digital noise that comes from rounding errors.
In MClass equalizer for example no one rounding error. :roll:
You mean MClass EQ with idle settings? I may simply copy input to output when nothing is on.

The 14:2 fader sets the gain factor not exactly equal to 1.000000. It is slightly different by a small margin. If you subtract its output from the original, you will get about -110dB. If you amplify it, you will get almost the same signal, but with only 4 correct mantissa bits instead of the original 23.
I do not like to argue. 32 bits floating point is 1540 dB dynamic range.
selig wrote:
8cros wrote: Now we can say that the mixer changes sound. Even if it's masked.
We can rise to conspiracy theories. :D
It has a low level, but the effect on the harmonics greater than the fundamental tone.
IMO we cannot (Yet) say that since some of us are proving otherwise. I'm not sure what you're suggesting about the harmonics…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Null mixer test failed. There is noise but also harmonic. I really do not want to speculate.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

orthodox
RE Developer

07 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:I do not like to argue. 32 bits floating point is 1540 dB dynamic range.
It is not a case of dynamic range and 1540 dB does not apply here. The level of quantization errors is -138 dB. If you amplify the difference from the level of -110 dB to 0 dB, you are raising the level of rounding and truncation errors from -138 to -28 dB at the same time.
And the resolution of the resulting signal is not that of float 32 anymore.

8cros

07 Aug 2016

orthodox wrote:
8cros wrote:I do not like to argue. 32 bits floating point is 1540 dB dynamic range.
It is not a case of dynamic range and 1540 dB does not apply here. The level of quantization errors is -138 dB. If you amplify the difference from the level of -110 dB to 0 dB, you are raising the level of rounding and truncation errors from -138 to -28 dB at the same time.
give an example :mrgreen:
REASON RESONANCES

gak

07 Aug 2016

If someone ever figures out the definitive answer to the question of sound quality in daw's, please alert SETI.

orthodox
RE Developer

07 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:
orthodox wrote:
Example of what? I am expaining the actual behavior of the 14:2.

OK, here is an example of what you call "1540 dB dynamic range". You take a normal (0dB) signal, lower it by 700 dB, raise it by 1400 dB, then lower it by 700 dB. It should stay the same.
And here is an example of quantization errors. You take signal A of 0dB, mix it with signal B of -140 dB, then subtract the original signal A from the mix. You won't get the signal B, it will be completely destroyed. In the case of SSL mixer, the signal B should be about -320 dB since the SSL is operating with Float64.

8cros

08 Aug 2016

orthodox wrote:
8cros wrote:
orthodox wrote:
Example of what? I am expaining the actual behavior of the 14:2.

OK, here is an example of what you call "1540 dB dynamic range". You take a normal (0dB) signal, lower it by 700 dB, raise it by 1400 dB, then lower it by 700 dB. It should stay the same.
And here is an example of quantization errors. You take signal A of 0dB, mix it with signal B of -140 dB, then subtract the original signal A from the mix. You won't get the signal B, it will be completely destroyed. In the case of SSL mixer, the signal B should be about -320 dB since the SSL is operating with Float64.
It looks like I knew where there was a mistake. I can not test the SSL in Reason's because SSL has a greater range than all other devices. :puf_unhappy:

I have found no color, it was a random errors. But the negative result is also not bad. :cry:
REASON RESONANCES

submonsterz

08 Aug 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
submonsterz wrote:errmmm so the thread has gone off the origanal thread topic ??
I am not trying to prove anything but the reality that people have bashed ie stranger in his findings when he was trying to help people and just saying I find he was correct and theres my proof and the it does not exist sayers are obviously not testing correctly to look below what reasons meters etc tell you.
I was just trying to help too in showing that theres is something there noise colour what ever it is it exists :?
Well, yes, it's gone off the original topic, which was: is there a difference in the output signal between the SSL and the 14:2. Stranger said there was, and several people chimed in to note that his protocols were wrong. We provided several ways to test both hypotheses (#1: the output is different between a 14:2 and the SSL; #2: the 14:2 adds color). Both tests are really, really easy and literally take under a minute, but several other people have posted tests that try to answer both questions at once, while adding a third one: #3 Reason colors the sound.

That's where I (and I expect several others) object in the strongest terms:

1) you don't test three things at once. That's not how it's done.
2) you can't test whether X adds Y if you don't know what Y is (and are still unsure about what X is because it's been chained to an inordinate and superfluous amount of devices). Both your and 8cros' test show noise, not color (actually, 8cros' test shows phasing delay IMHO, neither noise nor color).
3) Occam: the explanation that requires the least assumptions is probably the right one. i.e. if you test only the pure output of a 14:2 and the pure output of the SSL and it DOES null perfectly bit for bit; and then you start piling gain methods and some "noise" starts to appear, the noise comes from your gain methods.
4) If you submit your tests to other, be clear on what you are testing and what you're trying to show. Noise is not color, and the tests for both are very different.

Right now, you've successfully convinced me that in some cases, some devices can add an infinitesimal amount of noise (but it's not something I would have doubted anyway); you haven't convinced me that it's color, nor that it is introduced by Reason, the SSL or the 14:2. Again, that was the point of the thread.

(to be clear: it's not a personal attack, I'm just defending the point of view of "the skeptics team". I have opened and studied the song you posted and agree it's interesting, but again: not Reason, not SLL, not 14:2, not color).
I did test as i was reading through with mention of comparing to original file . I used original file to test against bounces of all devices mentioned in this thread .
To me i cannot safely go with noise here as i have shown with gain bringing up the masked range below reasons floor . That if i turn up my monitors i here the file as clear as daylight especially from the 14.2 and the 6. 2 mixers
And with a little more gain the reason mixer which is the track i call master .
Is being able to hear the file play in full , noise or it adding something and not nulling fully ?.
And i did the test in reason to keep it nrutral terratory .
So to varify what i see and obviously stranger sees in izotope and soundforge .
As i say shall exit topic .:).

mcatalao
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2016

Raveshaper wrote:The other has 64 channels, 8 sends, and can have things inserted into it.
Reason mixer doesn't have a channel count Limit. Just keep adding audio tracks and devices and be happy.
The only 64 channel count limit is for the hardware (reason can "only" have 64 inputs and outputs) and is not a mixer limitation.

jam-s

08 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:24-bit is not enough. Because in my case, after subtracting the signals I added +163.2 decibels. But color 14: 2 and 6: 2 mixers in your example is easy to find. You need to add 94 dB to the master.
If you add this much gain you might be seeing artefacts from rounding errors from the floating point representation of the samples inside your CPU and RAM. This is the digital noise floor.

Also make sure you don't accidentally have some audio input enabled, as those sometime also introduce some very low level noise (even when muted).
Last edited by jam-s on 08 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Stranger.

08 Aug 2016

Wow-lol..
Ok/ further findings.
Case (for me) is not closed at all now,after building some new noise profiles....
Method used here>
All profiles were made over a 2-3min period from a playing static sample-- with no added gains,just roughly normal peak input levels.
1 x stereo channel feed direct to master section fx return 1+2 (to avoid any contaminate from mix channel) sent to IO output 1+2. >Profiled.
1 x stereo channel feed direct to 14:2 mixer >> direct out to IO 1+2. >Profiled.
1 x stereo channel feed direct to 6:2 mixer >> direct IO 1+2. >Profiled.
1 x stereo channel feed direct to mix channel >> direct IO 1+2. >Profiled.
1 x stereo channel feed direct to audio channel as a pass through (yes u can do this) >> direct IO 1+2. >Profiled.

Picture paints a gazzillion words.
RSN Channel Profiles.gif
RSN Channel Profiles.gif (414.63 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
New conclusion to date- i am intrigued and surprised by results so far...Trying to make sure all my steps are totally systematic in approach+execution,and at this point,really do not have a clue what's actually going on here!.. lol- i never bothered looking at all this before,so,again,surprised by a variety of different tests all showing differences across the board.

Perhaps the ph team can take a closer peak into their own analasis and make some final clarifications.. *shrugz*

submonsterz

08 Aug 2016

Stranger. wrote:Wow-lol..
Ok/ further findings.
Case (for me) is not closed at all now,after building some new noise profiles....
Method used here>
All profiles were made over a 2-3min period from a playing static sample-- with no added gains,just roughly normal peak input levels.
1 x stereo channel feed direct to master section fx return 1+2 (to avoid any contaminate from mix channel) sent to IO output 1+2. >Profiled.
1 x stereo channel feed direct to 14:2 mixer >> direct out to IO 1+2. >Profiled.
1 x stereo channel feed direct to audio channel as a pass through (yes u can do this) >> direct IO 1+2. >Profiled.

RSN Channel Profiles.gif
New conclusion to date- i am intrigued and surprised by results so far...Trying to make sure all my steps are totally systematic in approach+execution,and at this point,really do not have a clue what's actually going on here!.. lol- i never bothered looking at all this before,so,again,surprised by a variety of different tests all showing differences across the board.

Perhaps the ph team can take a closer peak into their own analasis and make some final clarifications.. *shrugz*
Yes very distinct differences . If people say they cannot see the differences from them plots eyes need testing ....

8cros

08 Aug 2016

jam-s wrote:
8cros wrote:24-bit is not enough. Because in my case, after subtracting the signals I added +163.2 decibels. But color 14: 2 and 6: 2 mixers in your example is easy to find. You need to add 94 dB to the master.
If you add this much gain you might be seeing artefacts from rounding errors from the floating point representation of the samples inside your CPU and RAM. This is the digital noise floor.

Also make sure you don't accidentally have some audio input enabled, as those sometime also introduce some very low level noise (even when muted).
I made a mistake with the project. I was wrong. Mixer SSL limited -320dB and not 1540 as I thought. :mrgreen:
Now I do not have the tools for a new test.

But if the color is considered a rounding error, 14: 2 course paint over in half. :redface:
REASON RESONANCES

jonheal

08 Aug 2016

The magnitude of differences you guys are talking about here is so infinitesimal as to be almost nearly unmeasurable by your own admission. Seems like you would far more impact your mix if you accidentally slightly bumped any random knob or slider.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Marco Raaphorst

08 Aug 2016

anything below -48 db will be none existent for all of you.

or detune a whole track by 0.5 cents. no one will hear that.

all mixers in Reason are uncolered. like any spider in Reason. super simple to prove and have been proven over and over again. don't tweak the volume. don't add a compressor. just phase reverse 2 channels. nothing more.

selig
RE Developer

08 Aug 2016

submonsterz wrote:
Stranger. wrote:Wow-lol..
Ok/ further findings.
Method used here>

RSN Channel Profiles.gif

Yes very distinct differences . If people say they cannot see the differences from them plots eyes need testing ....
But we're not testing our eyes… ;)

Not sure what this is showing, nor if that test is a valid way to measure extremely accurate frequency response of a audio path - never heard of doing it this way before. But what I AM familiar with is using a Log Swept-sine Deconvolution approach via FuzzMeasure, which is proven to be EXTREMELY accurate at showing frequency response, phase response, and distortion etc.
http://supermegaultragroovy.com/product ... ure/specs/

These tests show identical responses to all tested audio paths in Reason. The sub-divisions shown are 1/10 of a dB, and if you can't see ANY difference between the frequency response/level at THIS magnification, then you certainly can't hear it either. IMO, as always.
In case it's not clear, the plots are for FX return (red), Mix Channel (green), Line Mixer (blue), and 14:2 mixer (yellow). In the GIF I'm adding the plots one at a time, but since they are IDENTICAL, you only see the color of the most recently added plot:

Here's a single screen shot showing more detail than the GIF:
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

08 Aug 2016

Are we testing how mad we are?

This is The Big Soap Thread. Put a safety warning on it. You might need help after reading this... :D

selig
RE Developer

08 Aug 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Are we testing how mad we are?

This is The Big Soap Thread. Put a safety warning on it. You might need help after reading this... :D
I hear you!

Just to be clear, we are testing whether any mixer device in Reason adds color or otherwise doesn't pass audio cleanly, and for the umpteenth time (since it still seems to be "a thing") I'm showing that no, it doesn't.
The Props have said this was the case long ago.
Dogs and bats may beg to differ…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

08 Aug 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Are we testing how mad we are?

It's because of ancient aliens embedding our DNA with the lust for leaving no stone unturned in host sound quality :mrgreen:

gak

08 Aug 2016

Besides, once it gets to soundcloud it will sound like shit anyways! :lol:

WongoTheSane

08 Aug 2016

gak wrote:Besides, once it gets to soundcloud it will sound like shit anyways! :lol:
That's because Soundcloud colors the sound.
Groundhog-Day-Movie.jpg
Groundhog-Day-Movie.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 4116 times

Marco Raaphorst

08 Aug 2016

As Zappa used to say: it's your brain!

-008'

08 Aug 2016

gak wrote:Besides, once it gets to soundcloud it will sound like shit anyways! :lol:
I always try to get my stuff to sound like shit BEFORE I upload it to soundcloud. That's how the real pros do it.

I agree though. Soundcloud just doesn't have that "Industry Standard, Spatial Depth and Warmth of Clarity" like other music hosting sites.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

8cros

08 Aug 2016

Err is necessary, it is part of the cognitive process. Do not worry if you make a mistake. It's always funny.
I further take revenge. :redface:
REASON RESONANCES

• Information