Machine states

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
OverneathTheSkyBridg

13 Jul 2016

I was thinking of a new kind of idea that could apply to all the synth machines in Reason. Imagine being able to rapidly switch between patches in a single track. Every patch consists of a series of settings for each of the available parameters. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to toggle between them rapidly throughout the course of a sequence? For example, say you want to change patches every bar. The long way would involve tweaking a buttload of automation lanes every bar. The short way would be able to assign all of those multiple settings to a "machine state" that could be numbered and selected in a similar fashion to pattern automation lanes. Not sure if I'm explaining it properly, what do you guys think?

twilight

13 Jul 2016

My first thought on reading this is to check out Distributor: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/distributor/

As long as what you want to do is play a different instrument/patch on each successive note-down, this should do the trick.

On the other hand, if you want time-based instrument switching, you should be able to make a combinator with a mixer and several versions of an instrument, program the combinator to send note data to all the instruments simultaneously, and then it's just a matter of automating the mute or solo buttons on the mixer. I'm not that handy with cv and automation yet, but I'm sure there must be a way to do that.

To me, that's the cool thing about Reason. Just like legos, it's fun to just mess around and build stuff. If you can think it, you can build it. :D

twilight

13 Jul 2016

I was curious myself, so I gave it a shot. This what you had in mind?

And if there's a more elegant solution, I'd be interested to see it.
Attachments
patch-sweep-combi.cmb.zip
(6.3 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

footwords

14 Jul 2016

Here's another way to do it. This uses the Morfin XF Crossfader and Pulsar.
4 Patch Switcher.cmb.zip
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

OverneathTheSkyBridg

14 Jul 2016

I think Distributor and multiple synths in a combi is exactly the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion, $20 is a no brainer here!

I'll check out your patch sweep when I get home from work.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

footwords

14 Jul 2016

One last way to accomplish it. You can use keyswitching! Here's an example of a keyswitching combi that switches between 3 sounds. All it needs is Thor and a combinator.

Play for sound 1
Hold C#1 & play for sound 2
Hold D1 & play for sound 3

If you add a second thor you can get up to 5 sounds per combi to keyswitch between.
Keyswitching Combi.cmb.zip
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2016

Attached is my BFP (Big Fu**ing Patch) for the Vecto.
Vecto BFP.zip
(19.28 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
It's a combi with 5 Vecto's, One controls which one of the other four is to sound.

Uses Morfin and CV-2 meter (the CV-2 meter's can be removed, there for a visual of X-Y value, at the time I had a small screen)
By setting Rotary knob 1 to 3 o'clock (that will select all 3 Morfin's Type to AB which is a hard switch).
Rotary Knob 2 changes the speed, but don't forget you can set the sync to speed
Of course the 4 other vecto's can be switched out to any Instrument..

If you don't have the Vecto, then Arwwww, you are missing out :lol:

rgdaniel

21 Apr 2018

EXACTLY what I was just about to ask if there was a way... thanks so much for this... always a good idea to try the search first...
I was actually looking for a way to keyswitch between samples within NNXT, similar to the way you can velocity switch them... but this will do the same thing, just across multiple devices. So thanks again!

footwords wrote:
14 Jul 2016
One last way to accomplish it. You can use keyswitching! Here's an example of a keyswitching combi that switches between 3 sounds. All it needs is Thor and a combinator.

Play for sound 1
Hold C#1 & play for sound 2
Hold D1 & play for sound 3

If you add a second thor you can get up to 5 sounds per combi to keyswitch between.

Keyswitching Combi.cmb.zip

• Information