Reason GUI > 1080p or 4k

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

My screen resolution is

1920*1080
67%
other
9%
12%
Mac Retina
12%

Total votes: 33
Nirude

29 Jun 2016

Hi.
I updated to R9 (from 7.1.1) and I feel that my 1920*1080-screen resolution on my PC feels so small. :cry:
The addition of the browser takes space etc. Anyway I just wanted to ask how many users are using R9 in 4k? If yes, does the GUI seem small then? Anyway after upgrading I just feel that my next investment should be a 4k-monitor..
3d man.

Ahornberg

29 Jun 2016

I'm on Win 8.1 on a laptop and I use the laptop's screen (1920*1080) and an additional 4k-screen (3480*2160).
I have the display scaled in Windows by 150%.

Rack and sequencer are on the big screen and the mixer is placed on the smaller laptop-screen.
This works pretty good.

DinoJ

29 Jun 2016

My primary monitor is a 2560x1440, my secondary monitor is 1920x1200.

Personally I feel the 1440 monitor is the optimal one to use Reason on since the addition of the browser windows in Reason 8. I rarely put the rack on the 1200 now because unless I close/minimise the browser Window then I can no longer have two items in the rack side by side without a little scrolling. I know you can close it and it is at worst a very minor inconvenience but I don't like doing so and I really don't like having to scroll the rack a little bit to select patches or make changes to anything on far left edge or right edge of the rack, it kind of breaks my workflow and immersion (I am probably just weird though? Have many odd little OCD ways).

I have no issue though with the sequencer or mixer on the 1200, just the Rack. However there is a downside with having the Rack on the 1440 monitor for me and that is the odd Rack Extension such as Nostromo, where it is just too small to begin with and then becomes even smaller on the 1440 to the point I find myself moving ever closer to the screen and end up practically 30cms away from the screen when working with it (do love that synth though nonetheless!).

Without using some form of scaling or zoom feature, such as Ahornberg suggested, I feel anything over 1440 would result in regular trips to the opticians and frequent eye strain headaches, especially after lengthy sessions on Reason, which happens way too often since I got Reason 8 and 9 and hours at a time just vanish!

Sinistereo

29 Jun 2016

My primary rig has two 4K displays, 40" and 28". I use the big one for sequencing and the rack and the small one for sequencing. Everything works well and is usable, but the smaller display is right on the edge of making the graphics too small.

My laptop has a 15" 4K display which is 100% unusable for Reason. I have to scale the UI to the eqivalent of 1440p.

In general, I've found that 40" is the sweet spot for most work at 4K - pixels are barely visible and nothing needs to be scaled.

• Information