Ready to upgrade from 8 to 9 - move folders??

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samp

23 Jun 2016

Hi all - I am ready - Before i download Reason 9 do i have to mover anything out of my reason 8 folder?? All my refills are there. I used to move them before but not sure if that still applies. Don't want to lose anything, thanks!

Dante

23 Jun 2016

I've installed reason 9 without removing Reason 8. Now it has picked up from my preferences that all my personal refills are in the Reason 8 folder and things work as normal in R9 where the browser is seeing them ok from the R8 folder.

The standard bundled old refills are still on the c drive as well, but once Ive used R9 for a couple of weeks I will archive those.

Later on down the track I might move the refills from R8 folder to R9 folder then uninstall R8 altogether. But no rush to do that.

samp

23 Jun 2016

Dante wrote:I've installed reason 9 without removing Reason 8. Now it has picked up from my preferences that all my personal refills are in the Reason 8 folder and things work as normal in R9 where the browser is seeing them ok from the R8 folder.

The standard bundled old refills are still on the c drive as well, but once Ive used R9 for a couple of weeks I will archive those.

Later on down the track I might move the refills from R8 folder to R9 folder then uninstall R8 altogether. But no rush to do that.

Sounds good - thanks!!

zeebot

23 Jun 2016

Don't know about R9 and R8 but I know in previous versions when upgrading anything in the propellerhead folder got wiped. Many stories of people losing all their refills and songs in the past. I keep everything well away from my C drive.
By the way where are the FSB/Orkester refills in R9? I cant find them in the props folder where they usually are.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Soft Enerji

23 Jun 2016

Like Zeebot says, it's best not to keep your Refills in the Reason folder. I know it seems like a tidy way to work but it's fraught with danger. Just create a folder elsewhere and navigate to that from Reason's browser.
Zeebot, from Reason 8 the FSB and Orkester banks got put in another location on install. I'm at work right now and can't remember exactly where that is though.

samp

24 Jun 2016

ok thanks everyone. Just to be safe i will move everything out of the Reason folder.

zumBeispiel

24 Jun 2016

zeebot wrote:
By the way where are the FSB/Orkester refills in R9? I cant find them in the props folder where they usually are.

Windows 7 --> C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\

and then 3 folders for ID8, Orkester, FSB + Patch Collection

zumBeispiel

24 Jun 2016

Preferences, Showcases and Recent Patches are here:

C:\Users\YOU\Application Data\Propellerhead Software\Reason

Usually saved them before update/upgrade.

Soft Enerji

24 Jun 2016

zumBeispiel wrote:
zeebot wrote:

Windows 7 --> C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\

and then 3 folders for ID8, Orkester, FSB + Patch Collection
Cheers man! Was gonna have a look and post but you saved me the bother.........

kitekrazy

24 Jun 2016

BTW can you change where the factory refills are kept? I keep my refills on a separate drive.

Soft Enerji

24 Jun 2016

kitekrazy wrote:BTW can you change where the factory refills are kept? I keep my refills on a separate drive.
Yes you can, or at least you used to be able to. I've not done it since version 7. The process was, if I remember correctly: Create shortcuts from the original FSB and Orkester. Move the originals to where you wanna keep them then rename the shortcuts as per the originals. Since R8 the soundbanks are stored in a program data folder but I would assume the process would still work but I'm no expert.

• Information