Handling temporal masking with long-look-ahead compressor?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jappe

20 May 2016

For sidechain ducking:

Does anyone know if there are compressors that uses look-ahead more than 100 ms to counter temporal masking, and not only early detection of peaks using few milliseconds delay?
Obviously I would have to delay all other channels with the same delay time.
But I think it could be useful for example to prevent the attack transient of a bassdrum to be masked by the bass if the bass is ducked 100ms or so before the actual drum hit?

I guess I could make it myself with delay lines - perhaps even better because then all delaylines can be put into a combinator that can adjust the delay synchronously for all delays.

selig
RE Developer

20 May 2016

jappe wrote:For sidechain ducking:

Does anyone know if there are compressors that uses look-ahead more than 100 ms to counter temporal masking, and not only early detection of peaks using few milliseconds delay?
But I think it could be useful for example to prevent the attack transient of a bassdrum to be masked by the bass if the bass is ducked 100ms or so before the actual drum hit?

I guess I could make it myself with delay lines - perhaps even better because then all delaylines can be put into a combinator that can adjust the delay synchronously for all delays.

That's An overly complex solution…
Why not just copy the kick track and move it back in time 100 ms and then us it to duck the bass?

Do you know of any mixes that use this technique? I ask because there are countless amazing mixes that do not… just thinking out loud here!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

21 May 2016

Thought something similar like Selig. You can always sidechain any signal to the compressor, so just create a separate signal and connect the output only to the sidechain. Some guys use this for a standard gate-like technique.

But you should check if 100ms dont create a lag feeling instead of pumping rythmic feeling...
Reason12, Win10

jappe

21 May 2016

selig wrote:

Why not just copy the kick track and move it back in time 100 ms and then us it to duck the bass?

Do you know of any mixes that use this technique? I ask because there are countless amazing mixes that do not… just thinking out loud here!
Ah, where's that facepalm smiley when I need it.
Your solution is a simple one, therefore I overlooked it.

Years ago I experimented with ducking the bass manually in a wave editor.
At the time I thought that I'd get some more momentum/headroom for the kick by supressingthe bass just before the hit.
Didn't think about temporal masking then.

jappe

21 May 2016

Loque wrote:Thought something similar like Selig. You can always sidechain any signal to the compressor, so just create a separate signal and connect the output only to the sidechain. Some guys use this for a standard gate-like technique.

But you should check if 100ms dont create a lag feeling instead of pumping rythmic feeling...
Yes I will do some experiments with that today.

selig
RE Developer

21 May 2016

jappe wrote:
selig wrote:

Ah, where's that facepalm smiley when I need it.
Your solution is a simple one, therefore I overlooked it.

Years ago I experimented with ducking the bass manually in a wave editor.
At the time I thought that I'd get some more momentum/headroom for the kick by supressingthe bass just before the hit.
Didn't think about temporal masking then.
I've tried and tried to gain more headroom with this approach but never succeeded. The timing must be so incredibly precise to duck the bass EXACTLY (to the ms if not sample) when the kick hits. When measuring peak levels, it's always higher than either kick or bass on it's own (by a good amount IIRC), indicating it's not really doing what I had hoped. If you can't control peak level effectively with this approach, I've concluded there's no advantage to using it for me.

My usual answer to issues like this is to remind myself how many amazing mixes have been done without using these techniques…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information