Any help for us new R8 noobs hopping on the R9 Train?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RhysHuntley89

19 May 2016

As I'm sure many others did today, I updated to R8 from R7! :D I thought it might be useful to have a thread here to highlight the most important updated aspects, and perhaps some of the more subtle R8 changes/improvements that might be easily missed by R7 users before we move forward with R9.

So, who has some cool tricks to share?! :)

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

19 May 2016

I can't remember but I think it's new that holding down Shift while dragging devices in a combinator will auto-swap the wiring in your signal chain. That one is super useful.

Dragging and dropping samples onto Kong pads. I use that one all the time. And here's a tip with that, actually. If you want to layer samples on a Kong pad, you can still do it with drag and drop. You just have to click the Add Layer button on NN-Nano first and then drag on the next sample. If you dont' click the button first the sample you drag on will replace the sample already there. But if you do click it, you'll have both on the same NN-Nano player as two layers.

selig
RE Developer

19 May 2016

ryanharlin wrote:I can't remember but I think it's new that holding down Shift while dragging devices in a combinator will auto-swap the wiring in your signal chain. That one is super useful.

Dragging and dropping samples onto Kong pads. I use that one all the time. And here's a tip with that, actually. If you want to layer samples on a Kong pad, you can still do it with drag and drop. You just have to click the Add Layer button on NN-Nano first and then drag on the next sample. If you dont' click the button first the sample you drag on will replace the sample already there. But if you do click it, you'll have both on the same NN-Nano player as two layers.
You can also select multiple files and drag them together into Kong's NN-Nano and they will layer.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

tibah

19 May 2016

The ability of reordering a chain of devices with shift+drag is a huge thing included in R8. The dedicated zoom function, shortcut Z, can be handy if you get can used to using it. Of course, the browser is kinda the biggest thing to get used to. Patch browsing can be weird at times and requires some rethinking, especially if you used Reason for years. Once accomplished though, you probably won't like to get back to the old browser, same as with Reason 4 and the new sequencer and automation possibilities in my book. :)

Exowildebeest

19 May 2016

Yeah Shift+Drag is fantastic.

It does what I want it to do 90% of the time, which is high, considering the complex wiring and chaotic organization you can get. You'll get a feel for when to use it and when not over time.

raccoonboy

19 May 2016

ryanharlin wrote:I can't remember but I think it's new that holding down Shift while dragging devices in a combinator will auto-swap the wiring in your signal chain. That one is super useful.
Already a Reason 8 user but did not know this. Amazing, thanks!! Was wishing there was a way to do this, glad to know there already is. By the way, doesn't need to be in a combinator.

selig
RE Developer

19 May 2016

If you add option to the shift/drag, you can copy the device AND route it to the new (dropped) destination!
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

19 May 2016

Shift + drag is here since Reason 7!!

raccoonboy

20 May 2016

selig wrote:If you add option to the shift/drag, you can copy the device AND route it to the new (dropped) destination!
Great. I was wondering if this would work, but thought of it away from Reason. :D :D :D

ebop

20 May 2016

Drop

This is not a biggie for many I imagine but I love it. I don't use Allihoopa for anything other than to get a quick and easy bounce of my songs onto my phone to listen to in the car. Set to private ;)

Before Drop, it was a convoluted pain in the ass to get my tracks onto my phone to listen back.

• Information