What is the main new feature that make you upgrade to V9

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tronam

19 May 2016

The Players, Pitch Editor and accompanying audio-to-MIDI functions are very welcome additions, but I'm secretly most excited about little "boring" things like the dark theme and Bounce in Place because they impact my workflow immediately. As I gradually incorporate the other new features they might also rise to that level, but I won't know until I've spent some more practical time with them.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

MirrorEyEs

19 May 2016

Shaved pubes around the transport.
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

Melody303

19 May 2016

Coming from 6.5, My reasons for upgrading are: RV7000MKII, Bounce In Place, and the Chords & Note Delay Players, as well as for ABL3, Step Note Recorder, Korde, Shape, and 4MER (possibly other REs too).
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

SA Studio

19 May 2016

Melody303 wrote:Coming from 6.5, My reasons for upgrading are: RV7000MKII, Bounce In Place, and the Chords & Note Delay Players, as well as for ABL3, Step Note Recorder, Korde, Shape, and 4MER (possibly other REs too).
Someone coming from 6.5 to 9 for $129 is bonkers. Such a big leap. You'll be beyond amazed for your $129. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

groggy1

19 May 2016

Pitch correction that's Reason Timestretch Good.

Faastwalker

19 May 2016

Melody303 wrote:Coming from 6.5, My reasons for upgrading are: RV7000MKII, Bounce In Place, and the Chords & Note Delay Players, as well as for ABL3, Step Note Recorder, Korde, Shape, and 4MER (possibly other REs too).
The more we spend, the less we get. We just get it sooner.

craven

20 May 2016

Faastwalker wrote:The more we spend, the less we get. We just get it sooner.
yeah, time is money - it's our own fault to be so impatient :) saving up for Reason 9!
:ugeek:

decibel

20 May 2016

craven wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:The more we spend, the less we get. We just get it sooner.
yeah, time is money - it's our own fault to be so impatient :) saving up for Reason 9!

lets hope all that invested cash pushes along the next upgrade and sdk update yeah ;)
with any luck by version 10 reason wont be lacking in any of the areas that people keep requesting

Noplan
Competition Winner

20 May 2016

Audio to midi could be interesting for me. I compose all my electro stuff on the acoustic guitar and then i draw my melodies and chords note for note in the pianoroll. What a waste of time.

chimp_spanner

20 May 2016

Bounce in place, for sure. It's been a total game changer for me in Cubase. I'm doing a lot of sound and patch design, so for instance I could sequence 61 MIDI notes (in separate clips) ascending chromatically. Select them all, bounce in place, bounce again to samples, export samples to disk and then batch rename them to a list of notes from C0-whatever. Bam, instantly ready to use in another sampler.

The only things missing from this feature currently are;

Block event render (so clips on multiple tracks bounced to a single file)
FX tail (defined in seconds or beats/bars)
Option to bounce as separate or single events

But still, even in the current implementation it's a great feature for me :)

boobytrap

20 May 2016

Almost everything that they offer.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Chizmata

20 May 2016

Alkua wrote:There are many good stuff in Reason V9, my main feature is the graph pitch corrector.
the alt colours. sadly. not worth 129 bucks.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

20 May 2016

SA Studio wrote:
Someone coming from 6.5 to 9 for $129 is bonkers. Such a big leap. You'll be beyond amazed for your $129. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
I'm still on Reason 6.5 too! So I tend to see all the new features I'd got as a whole. My main incentives to upgrade are:

- MIDI-out (I have an Audiobox since Christmas times, and have a few old pieces of hardware I'd really like to hook to Reason)
- Access to SDK 2 REs (there's many newer synths I'd like to try and/or add to my collection!)
- Player devices (mainly for the CV to track trick: I have complex CV setups that I use to control instruments that I would love to edit through the main sequencer)
- RV7000 mkII (convolution...)
- Audio to .rex (to "rex" my own percussions loops)
- Spectrum analyser
- Channels grouping in the SSL
- All the rest!
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

groggy1

20 May 2016

selig wrote:
buddard wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:If it's a "proper bounce" it'd take some time to render the CV, wouldn't it? Do the Player device(s) also print modwheel/pitchwheel data to track? If so, that could be used to render CV to automation...
It takes me 1-2 seconds to "render" an 8 bar loop on my old (2011) Mac Mini, about the same as rendering audio. (I'm guessing Reason will process ALL devices in the rack while bouncing, just in case.)

Just to clarify, the Players do not render any controller data (such as pitchbend, modwheels and CV), only MIDI notes. What we do is that we connect the CV sequencer device (i e Step, Euclid, Korde, ...) to the Gate/CV inputs of a Combinator, because Combinators have the ability to convert CV/Gate to MIDI notes. Within that Combinator you must have at least one instrument, and to that instrument you attach at least one Player, and preferrably set it to something neutral that won't alter the MIDI (but it can't be Bypassed). This way, the Player can pick up the MIDI notes generated by the Combinator and in turn write them to the instrument's track.

What I meant with CV in my earlier post is that you can have all kinds of modulation going on in your sequencer device, for example LFO's or random voltages connected to the CV inputs for density, steps etc on Euclid, and even automate knobs/mutes/whatever. All these things will alter the notes that are output from Euclid, and this will be taken into account when rendering the MIDI notes to track!

EDIT: Also note that you can also automate the controls on the Players themselves, and the effects of this will of course also be included when you send the notes to track!

I hope this clears things up! :puf_smile:
YES! I was only really wondering if you were seeing increased "render" times with more intense CV activity?
Does it render in real time for clips going to midi output device? I'd love for it to work with hardware.

buddard
RE Developer

21 May 2016

groggy1 wrote:
selig wrote:
buddard wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:If it's a "proper bounce" it'd take some time to render the CV, wouldn't it? Do the Player device(s) also print modwheel/pitchwheel data to track? If so, that could be used to render CV to automation...
It takes me 1-2 seconds to "render" an 8 bar loop on my old (2011) Mac Mini, about the same as rendering audio. (I'm guessing Reason will process ALL devices in the rack while bouncing, just in case.)

Just to clarify, the Players do not render any controller data (such as pitchbend, modwheels and CV), only MIDI notes. What we do is that we connect the CV sequencer device (i e Step, Euclid, Korde, ...) to the Gate/CV inputs of a Combinator, because Combinators have the ability to convert CV/Gate to MIDI notes. Within that Combinator you must have at least one instrument, and to that instrument you attach at least one Player, and preferrably set it to something neutral that won't alter the MIDI (but it can't be Bypassed). This way, the Player can pick up the MIDI notes generated by the Combinator and in turn write them to the instrument's track.

What I meant with CV in my earlier post is that you can have all kinds of modulation going on in your sequencer device, for example LFO's or random voltages connected to the CV inputs for density, steps etc on Euclid, and even automate knobs/mutes/whatever. All these things will alter the notes that are output from Euclid, and this will be taken into account when rendering the MIDI notes to track!

EDIT: Also note that you can also automate the controls on the Players themselves, and the effects of this will of course also be included when you send the notes to track!

I hope this clears things up! :puf_smile:
YES! I was only really wondering if you were seeing increased "render" times with more intense CV activity?
Does it render in real time for clips going to midi output device? I'd love for it to work with hardware.
Actually, you can do both!

Yesterday, Selig pointed out to me that if you use "Direct record" instead of "Send to track", you do the exact same thing but in real time! I've tried that, too, and it works great! I will add this to the tutorial as well.

Gulale

21 May 2016

I used to use Reason mainly for mixing purposes and I was thinking to buy it next year at kvr when the price goes down lets say 150.. However, when I think about it, still I should have to invest a lot since the mastering EQ, Compressor, PDC are not there so I will wait for version 10 or point update when and if they bring something that suits me. The sequencer is not something that I enjoy from Reason. I'm Happy for you guys who are happy to have Reason 9 in the future.
Gulale aka Bereket

Yonatan

21 May 2016

Pitch editor is so great. Player devices are great. Bounce to place.../midi etc...great!
Can´t wait to check out the new sounds that will come with it too.
Reason 9 will bring much joy this summer!
It really inspires one to create music and experiment outside the box, even still being in the box.

ljekio

21 May 2016

1. Bounce to MIDI
2. Send notes to track for any CV ins
3. Pitch edit
4. New Arpeggiator
5. One finger's Chords

But why besides notes nothing of performance controls cannot sends to record into clip?
Mod and Pitch wheel at least.
Automation recording through virtual MIDI is boring and inaccurate.

• Information