Is there a way to place markers in the timeline?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pugnacious

15 May 2016

I don't think there is, and so is there a work around.
Take this as an example scenario.
I sing a track but the timing is complex with triplets and swing notes etc etc and its off.
Ideally id like to place markers somewhere/somehow by tapping on the keyboard. Then I could drag the vocal hits to where the markers are.
Obviously I could make a midi track above the audio track but this is quite far apart on the screen and makes it hard to get it accurately.
Any ideas?
A

guitfnky

15 May 2016

Hmm, I don't think there's a way to add markers at points based on key presses, unfortunately. I tried playing around with an idea to use blank labeled clips to mark your spot by muting them, but it doesn't look like that will work. You can't use the time-stretching feature within the track when the audio clip is behind the muted labeled clip, so I'm guessing that won't work well for you.

Sadly, your best bet might be to just create a second dummy audio clip, by record-enabling it, and hitting record when you want the "marker" to appear, and then lining up one of the locators (L or R) at the front of it, and using that to bump your vocal track's timing up against. Alternatively, you could just do a dummy MIDI track and hit the notes where you want your markers, then moving the L or R locator to line everything up. Not a very elegant solution, I know. This is one of those simple things that most people can agree Reason should have by now). With any luck, we'll be getting markers soon (with the cost of an upgrade, of course, though).

Of course, I'm sure someone else has found a much more user-friendly solution by now, so there's that...
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Ahornberg

16 May 2016

I you don't use blocks, you can use empty blocks for that purpose.
If you don't have tempo changes, just use the tempo automation line in the transport track.

pugnacious

16 May 2016

Thanks, I'll look at this

Stranger.

16 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

16 May 2016

but you can't set block positions on the fly, can you?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information