REASON 9 May have been announced early !?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
normen

17 May 2016

stevan wrote:... no, not in realtime . I think this is not possible at the moment. Obviously like in Live, click and bounce ...
Not possible in general? Sure it is, just look at software like "MIDI Guitar", it works almost better than dedicated hex-pickup hardware, especially when you use computer synths anyway you get as low latency as e.g. the Axon or the Roland provide.

stevan

17 May 2016

normen wrote:
stevan wrote:... no, not in realtime . I think this is not possible at the moment. Obviously like in Live, click and bounce ...
Not possible in general? Sure it is, just look at software like "MIDI Guitar", it works almost better than dedicated hex-pickup hardware, especially when you use computer synths anyway you get as low latency as e.g. the Axon or the Roland provide.
really ? with a simple guitar cable and polyphonic/ with all the vibrato and volume changes ? wow ... that would be very exiting !

normen

17 May 2016

stevan wrote:really ? with a simple guitar cable and polyphonic/ with all the vibrato and volume changes ? wow ... that would be very exiting !
Yup, and yes it is :) I have been following the whole guitar to midi thing for long now and tried various systems and this is up there with all of the hardware solutions.

http://www.jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/

As I'm using an Eleven Rack for on-stage guitar and its an audio interface as well I just need to connect my MacBook via USB and I can play all kinds of synths through the same outputs with no additional hardware, pretty darn cool.

It still doesn't get around the core issues of guitar to midi though, like hammer ons and pull offs interfering with picking, which are not so much about recognition but about a general incompatibility. I.e. most guitar to midi systems have issues when you are not perfectly syncing your left and right hand and recognize you putting your finger on the fret and you picking the string as two separate events.

stevan

17 May 2016

normen wrote:
stevan wrote:really ? with a simple guitar cable and polyphonic/ with all the vibrato and volume changes ? wow ... that would be very exiting !
Yup, and yes it is :) I have been following the whole guitar to midi thing for long now and tried various systems and this is up there with all of the hardware solutions.

http://www.jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/

As I'm using an Eleven Rack for on-stage guitar and its an audio interface as well I just need to connect my MacBook via USB and I can play all kinds of synths through the same outputs with no additional hardware, pretty darn cool.

It still doesn't get around the core issues of guitar to midi though, like hammer ons and pull offs interfering with picking, which are not so much about recognition but about a general incompatibility. I.e. most guitar to midi systems have issues when you are not perfectly syncing your left and right hand and recognize you putting your finger on the fret and you picking the string as two separate events.
... thanx man, must try that asap !

Gaja

17 May 2016

Realtime audio to MIDI is very difficult to pull off. Afaik the only proper attempt is Imitone, which can still use quite some work imo...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Yonatan

17 May 2016

Audio -> Midi= Big YES! :)

Pitch correction inside the sequencer = Big YES!
We all know shit in is shit out, but yet as aspiring producer who also about to produce others, that could be such a great tool. Even an almost perfect take with great feeling to it, may slide some notes that are not just "human expression" but sounds terrible after hours of listening. To even out those little things, not overdoing it, is if not a life saver, so at least a headache reliever! Know it can be done to a degree now already but it could be better.

I dare not take too much for granted with that announcement, but it sure looks good to me. Off course I want more and more and more...but I feel anticipation in another way than when R8 was announced (although browser...just cannot live without it now, but convolution won me over).
Last edited by Yonatan on 17 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

normen

17 May 2016

Gaja wrote:Realtime audio to MIDI is very difficult to pull off. Afaik the only proper attempt is Imitone, which can still use quite some work imo...
No its not, especially if its monophonic, iOS apps like ThumbJam have this in for long now and even in the 80s there were dedicated Microphone-to-MIDI interfaces.

dana

17 May 2016

normen wrote:

And pitchmap by stephan m bernsee

http://www.zynaptiq.com/pitchmap/

Possibly could propellerheads integrate this technology?

Faastwalker

17 May 2016

"When you say it's gonna happen now, what exactly do you mean? See I've already waited too long, and all my hope is gone".

Faastwalker

17 May 2016

....... 14-bit MIDI support would be nice as well.

Gaja

18 May 2016

normen wrote:
Gaja wrote:Realtime audio to MIDI is very difficult to pull off. Afaik the only proper attempt is Imitone, which can still use quite some work imo...
No its not, especially if its monophonic, iOS apps like ThumbJam have this in for long now and even in the 80s there were dedicated Microphone-to-MIDI interfaces.
How usable are those attempts? How is the latency? How accurately will it detect the pitch of my voice and does it work equally well over all vowels? Cause so far anything I've tried is very annoying to use at best, with unbearable latencies (didn't measure, but I was unable to keep the easiest rhythm, let alone sing or whistle a song), and they wouldn't accurately detect oh's or eh's. Anyway, I'll try thumb jam. Would you mind giving me other examples please, so I can investigate a bit further?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Danansmith

18 May 2016

Great work! :thumbs_up:
popular bubble football:bubble soccer ball

Creativemind

18 May 2016

Audio to midi works well in Abelton 9 or after. It's such a handy feature. Was begging for this in Reason 8 me haha!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ReasonUser

18 May 2016

Does anyone actually still think that this was an official Proprllerhead press release that they just decided to distribute out a week+ ahead of time under the 'condition' that the info not be released until a specific date? That seems kind of outlandish at this point.

Yonatan

18 May 2016

...confusing it is...

normen

18 May 2016

Gaja wrote: How usable are those attempts? How is the latency? How accurately will it detect the pitch of my voice and does it work equally well over all vowels? Cause so far anything I've tried is very annoying to use at best, with unbearable latencies (didn't measure, but I was unable to keep the easiest rhythm, let alone sing or whistle a song), and they wouldn't accurately detect oh's or eh's. Anyway, I'll try thumb jam. Would you mind giving me other examples please, so I can investigate a bit further?
Usable within reason, about the same as your roundtrip latency, as well as you can keep a pitch, with all vowels.

Creativemind

18 May 2016

normen wrote:
Gaja wrote: How usable are those attempts? How is the latency? How accurately will it detect the pitch of my voice and does it work equally well over all vowels? Cause so far anything I've tried is very annoying to use at best, with unbearable latencies (didn't measure, but I was unable to keep the easiest rhythm, let alone sing or whistle a song), and they wouldn't accurately detect oh's or eh's. Anyway, I'll try thumb jam. Would you mind giving me other examples please, so I can investigate a bit further?
Usable within reason, about the same as your roundtrip latency, as well as you can keep a pitch, with all vowels.
Yep. As accurate as possible.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

stevan

18 May 2016

ReasonUser wrote:Does anyone actually still think that this was an official Proprllerhead press release that they just decided to distribute out a week+ ahead of time under the 'condition' that the info not be released until a specific date? That seems kind of outlandish at this point.
... the only thing I think is that the PHS itself having at the moment A: the biggest fun of her life or B: the exact opposite ... :lol:

pjeudy

18 May 2016

ReasonUser wrote:Does anyone actually still think that this was an official Proprllerhead press release that they just decided to distribute out a week+ ahead of time under the 'condition' that the info not be released until a specific date? That seems kind of outlandish at this point.
No. Most people knew fairly quickly last week thursday it wasn't official!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

ReasonUser

18 May 2016

pjeudy wrote:
Obviously not official. But no one stepping forward to claim it is false press release either. I was trying to deduce whether it's a total fabrication, or someone actually broke their NDA by sending this info to Synthtopia.

platzangst

18 May 2016

ReasonUser wrote: Obviously not official. But no one stepping forward to claim it is false press release either. I was trying to deduce whether it's a total fabrication, or someone actually broke their NDA by sending this info to Synthtopia.
Actively claiming it unofficial would probably only stir up those who like to like to imagine hidden Machiavellian conspiracies. Better to be quiet and let it die naturally.

If I had to guess, I'd fall on the side of this being a complete fiction. To whom would it be circulated, that could leak it? If this was being sent to RE developers, for example, what would be the point? It has nothing to do with the SDK or anything that would affect RE development, and why send them a general Reason announcement but nobody else?

For this to be some sort of internal PH leak, there has to be a sender and recipient for whom it was generated, and aside from perhaps proofreading releases months in advance, I don't see any logical function for any of this.

pjeudy

18 May 2016

ReasonUser wrote:
pjeudy wrote:
Obviously not official. But no one stepping forward to claim it is false press release either. I was trying to deduce whether it's a total fabrication, or someone actually broke their NDA by sending this info to Synthtopia.
Nah..no one has claimed that the this was a prank. Since it got deleted less then an hour after the post it could have been an mistaken NDA breech.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

zakalwe

18 May 2016

it's probably just a press release that got released a week too early.

if the purpose was to troll people they either did a fantastic or a terrible job as it's very convincing but not ridiculous enough to reel people in to the extent that they would look stupid when the penny dropped.

The_G

18 May 2016

I *suspect* it was a leaked press release --or-- an early and possibly now outdated press release. Either way, I suspect it is at least partially correct.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

• Information