REASON 9: The Wait Is Getting Ridiculous

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Goriila Texas

16 May 2016

plaamook wrote:If rewire didn't suck, I'd rock the rack and PT and be done with it.
How does rewire suck??

zakalwe

16 May 2016

rewire could really benefit from bi-directional audio and save state like VSTs. that would make it a lot more useable. maybe clipboard/drag and drop support too. you can do a lot more with VSTs.

Goriila Texas

16 May 2016

zakalwe wrote:rewire could really benefit from bi-directional audio and save state like VSTs. that would make it a lot more useable. maybe clipboard/drag and drop support too. you can do a lot more with VSTs.

Agreed,but imo it doesn't suck.

zakalwe

16 May 2016

Goriila Texas wrote:Agreed,but imo it doesn't suck.
there are also issues with audio quality and multi-core i believe.

i wouldn't expect an update for it though, despite its enduring popularity.

Sinistereo

16 May 2016

zakalwe wrote:rewire could really benefit from bi-directional audio and save state like VSTs. that would make it a lot more useable. maybe clipboard/drag and drop support too. you can do a lot more with VSTs.
Agreed.

Since getting Push, I've been going back and forth between Reason and Ableton quite a bit. Rewire is nice because I can (sort of) use Reason inside Ableton, but having to flip back and forth (and remember to keep two project files in sync) really throws a wrench in my workflow. Ideally, I'd like to work entirely within Reason because the rack has always "just worked" for me, ever since R1.0.

Ultimately, no solution out there is perfect, but I'm really looking forward to R9 and the songwriting workflow improvements that it will (hopefully) bring.

Revise

16 May 2016

The funny thing is for me at least, is that these easier daws are stuffed with features that I don't need, and therefore harder to use IMHO.

Goriila Texas

16 May 2016

zakalwe wrote:

Nope audio is 32 bit floating point and I believe the processing is handle by the host. I like rewire,but each DAW handles it better than others. I've used rewire since the days I had a mac G5 logic 7 days,logic handles rewire pretty good back then. Studio One does too,Reaper and FL studio are just ok but I make it work. Nothing beats having all your tools at one time at your disposal imo. I'm working with S1 and Reason or FL and Reason,if they make rewire bidirectional it would be a game changer imo.

tronam

16 May 2016

tumar wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
I'm sorry for misinterpreting anything. But saying "ALWAYS 2-3 years behind" sounded to me like an assessment predating Reason 8. Buy as far as developing speed, Reason is being developed much faster and exponentially. It used to be just a rackand every few years we just got new devices. I think maybe it's just because they've grown so quickly in a short period of time that people just keep wanting more. And that's cool. So I can understand how folks have found it more inviting to try to do everything in the box of Reason and how they want more and more. And more of it more often. But they are still developing faster than previous years while dealing with so many more elements with the application.
I really wish I had option to dislike post (arrow down).
Why? It's actually 100% correct.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Stranger.

16 May 2016

Goriila Texas wrote:Nope audio is 32 bit floating point and I believe the processing is handle by the host.
No- not if your streaming via an interface- floating point is internal- once audio hits your audio a<>d convertors-that's the sample and bit rates thats getting recorded back and played back at.

Stranger.

16 May 2016

Tried rearoute lately? if sync is not a problem- your getting a lot more audio channels in>out< which is 32bit.

Goriila Texas

16 May 2016

Stranger. wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:Nope audio is 32 bit floating point and I believe the processing is handle by the host.
No- not if your streaming via an interface- floating point is internal- once audio hits your audio a<>d convertors-that's the sample and bit rates thats getting recorded back and played back at.
It is internal lol. The audio is handled by the host not Reason, just like any other plugin. I think you have the signal chain off a bit,audio from Reason go out from the host just like any other plugin. Audio Reason >to soundcard >to host>back out of host=wrong. Audio Reason/processed by host>out to soundcard=correct. PH in the old forum said it themselves that rewire is 32 bit float and all processing is handle by the host like any plugin.
Last edited by Goriila Texas on 16 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

16 May 2016

Revise wrote:The funny thing is for me at least, is that these easier daws are stuffed with features that I don't need, and therefore harder to use IMHO.
This is exactly why I switched to Reason in the first place. I was using Digital Performer 6, and had to get on the MOTU messageboards to get help on how to set up an odd-time signature click, because the click setup is so functionally deep that it was incredibly difficult to use. The guys on those messageboards were stumped too, and they were absolute pros with the software (think the Seligs of Digital Performer). To set up a damn click. After that I was like "nope. time for something different." Reason, for all its quirks, is still really good at getting out of the way of the music. I've never encountered an issue I couldn't find my way around within a few minutes, unless it just wasn't possible in Reason, at the time. I've certainly never had to spend hours on a messageboard scouring for answers.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Goriila Texas

16 May 2016

Stranger. wrote:Tried rearoute lately? if sync is not a problem- your getting a lot more audio channels in>out< which is 32bit.
No I haven't. What is it?

zakalwe

16 May 2016

Goriila Texas wrote:
zakalwe wrote:

Nope audio is 32 bit floating point and I believe the processing is handle by the host. I like rewire,but each DAW handles it better than others. I've used rewire since the days I had a mac G5 logic 7 days,logic handles rewire pretty good back then. Studio One does too,Reaper and FL studio are just ok but I make it work. Nothing beats having all your tools at one time at your disposal imo. I'm working with S1 and Reason or FL and Reason,if they make rewire bidirectional it would be a game changer imo.
it's the reason audio i think, like the actually audio track render quality over rewire but someone who knows about it can maybe chip in. it would only really be of use with renoise for me anyway, since it doesn't have audio. i quite like rewiring to renoise as it's fun and of practical use since you can do everything in combinators and side chain and then control it with a tracker which is also megafun.

hejazzman

16 May 2016

avasopht wrote:
ClassickHitz wrote:I've been feeling more and more that Propellerhead has been purposely dragging when it comes to staying current and relevant.
So are you suggesting propellerhead pay their staff to NOT work (which is what dragging your feet with features has to involve eventually)? That makes ZERO sense.
Not very good with logic, are we?

It's not like Propellerheads are forced to always have a fixed number of programmers to pay whether they create new features or not.

If the Properllerheads (or any company) want to rest on their laurels (and think the users are stupid enough to pay €129 for an update, whether it has strong new features or not), they can always either scale down the number of programmers on their payroll, or not hire any good contractors for that period (e.g. people like Magnus Lidström who created Maelstrom as a contractor).

Another way to do that is to keep their whole team on the payroll, but tell them: "Don't work on fancy new Reason features, people will buy the €129 update anyway, so prioritize paid-for official Rack Extensions. Why give them 1-2 new synths for free, when we can have them buy the €129 update with BS feautures AND have them pay for our Rack Extensions that we could have just bundled?".
avasopht wrote:You are ASSUMING what is going on behind closed doors, that's nothing to do with being honest or wanting the best, it's projection, is it not?
Well, it's not him who chose to have those doors closed -- it's the props. Other companies have much more open roadmaps and development progress, the Propellerheads just opted to follow Apple's model of silence.

And he's not just "assuming" what is going on behind closed doors, he (we) also have 3 years of ho-hum updates and customer-skinning behavior to draw our conclusions from.

selig
RE Developer

16 May 2016

hejazzman wrote:
avasopht wrote:
ClassickHitz wrote:I've been feeling more and more that Propellerhead has been purposely dragging when it comes to staying current and relevant.
So are you suggesting propellerhead pay their staff to NOT work (which is what dragging your feet with features has to involve eventually)? That makes ZERO sense.

It's not like Propellerheads are forced to always have a fixed number of programmers to pay whether they create new features or not.

If the Properllerheads (or any company) want to rest on their laurels (and think the users are stupid enough to pay €129 for an update, whether it has strong new features or not), they can always either scale down the number of programmers on their payroll, or not hire any good contractors for that period (e.g. people like Magnus Lidström who created Maelstrom as a contractor).

Another way to do that is to keep their whole team on the payroll, but tell them: "Don't work on fancy new Reason features, people will buy the €129 update anyway, so prioritize paid-for official Rack Extensions. Why give them 1-2 new synths for free, when we can have them buy the €129 update with BS feautures AND have them pay for our Rack Extensions that we could have just bundled?".
avasopht wrote:You are ASSUMING what is going on behind closed doors, that's nothing to do with being honest or wanting the best, it's projection, is it not?
Well, it's not him who chose to have those doors closed -- it's the props. Other companies have much more open roadmaps and development progress, the Propellerheads just opted to follow Apple's model of silence.

And he's not just "assuming" what is going on behind closed doors, he (we) also have 3 years of ho-hum updates and customer-skinning behavior to draw our conclusions from.
Welcome to ReasonTalk!

This is not a matter of whether someone is "good with logic" or not - there is no absolute right or wrong on this subject. This is simply a thread with a bunch of pure speculation going on. No one here can claim to "know" what's really going on here, so let's all just continue to speculate for for the fun of it and not get all caught up in whether anyone's opinion is more or less "logical" than the rest! Carry on…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

ClassickHitz

17 May 2016

selig wrote:
hejazzman wrote:
avasopht wrote:

Welcome to ReasonTalk!

This is not a matter of whether someone is "good with logic" or not - there is no absolute right or wrong on this subject. This is simply a thread with a bunch of pure speculation going on. No one here can claim to "know" what's really going on here, so let's all just continue to speculate for for the fun of it and not get all caught up in whether anyone's opinion is more or less "logical" than the rest! Carry on…
:)
Selig,

Kudos to you!! I really appreciate the integrity and temperament you try to preserve in this forum especially when there are those who try to derail the atmosphere towards negativity by slinging personal attacks and name calling if someone disagrees with how they view things as it pertains to Propellerheads.

A good 90% of the time I'll never respond to personal insults directed but I'm almost always amazed at those who choose to tell someone how they should or should not feel about a thing.

Again, thanks for always attempting to keep the train on the track.

plaamook

17 May 2016

Goriila Texas wrote:
plaamook wrote:If rewire didn't suck, I'd rock the rack and PT and be done with it.
How does rewire suck??
Well, to be fair, I've only ever rewired into Logic which I already don't like much, so it was already on it's back foot. But I just find it tedious and in the end not quite like I've got reason runnig in Logic.

Can anyone say whether it's smoother in other host apps? I'd try it but I can't afford to go out and start spending money to test this.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

The_G

17 May 2016

The only downside to Rewire that I've found is sequencing in two DAWs.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Goriila Texas

17 May 2016

plaamook wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:
How does rewire suck??
Well, to be fair, I've only ever rewired into Logic which I already don't like much, so it was already on it's back foot. But I just find it tedious and in the end not quite like I've got reason runnig in Logic.

Can anyone say whether it's smoother in other host apps? I'd try it but I can't afford to go out and start spending money to test this.
Yes in S1 it's rewire is implemented really well. Yeah if you're not use to the environment in Logic where you have to create objects for rewire it can be a PITA.

Goriila Texas

17 May 2016

The_G wrote:The only downside to Rewire that I've found is sequencing in two DAWs.
Sequencing in S1 is hard sync really well with Reason in rewire,the transport buttons in Reason can start sequencing in both apps and vice versa.

ravisoni

17 May 2016

Talking about the wait, this morning I had a dream, that was almost a dream, but not a dream, you know what I mean?
Well anyway, I that-dreamed that I received an email from propellerhead. Eager to check the announcement, I opened it, and it was... another video from Ryan Harlin. Probably the only time in my life I was going to be underwhelmed by Ryan. But it was a dream, so no sweat.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

Faastwalker

18 May 2016

I have it on good authority that the next Reason update is at least a year away.

This guy told me;

Skullture

18 May 2016

I'm not sure if anyone said this before. But recently, Props posted a picture on their instagram of an opened Balance hardware with it's chipset exposed. Now, maybe it's me. But I feel Propellerhead is bringing back a new Balance (Balance 2?) along with Reason 9. It would definitely explain a lot to me.

stevan

18 May 2016

Skullture wrote:I'm not sure if anyone said this before. But recently, Props posted a picture on their instagram of an opened Balance hardware with it's chipset exposed. Now, maybe it's me. But I feel Propellerhead is bringing back a new Balance (Balance 2?) along with Reason 9. It would definitely explain a lot to me.
... I asked for it (balance2) and they answered : no, no Balance 2 ... I think we should not expecting too much from PHS, when I look at R8 and compare it with the leaked Infos about R9 it's a huge step forward and I would be more than happy if these things come true ...

• Information