Propellerheads patents; what´s this all about?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stm.mitchell

11 May 2016

I was doing my regular browsing round and came across this on the KVR forum.

http://patents.justia.com/patent/20150052514#history

Updates to the Rewire protocol? A plugin host outside of Reason? ...or is this simply something to do with the Rack Extension format?

tibah

11 May 2016

Abstract: In a method of distributing an extension module for a host data program, the extension module is arranged to cooperate with and extend the functionality of the host data program. Source code is provided for the extension module, the source code being arranged so as to be compiled to executable code, and the source code is independent of the platform in which the executable code is to be executed. A first compilation step is performed on the source code to provide the extension module in an intermediate format, the intermediate format also being independent of the platform in which the executable code is to be executed. A vendor stores the extension module in the intermediate format, so that the stored extension module can be compiled to machine-executable format at a later stage.
Seems like RE?

jimhowell1970

11 May 2016

It might be RE next gen, the abstract suggests more platforms than currently supported by REs

and I'm pretty sure that's not how the build chain works at the moment either

raccoonboy

11 May 2016

Patent is from 10 months after 6.5 was released. Not sure if this is usual for patents or not. I would have thought you'd apply beforehand.

normen

11 May 2016

Its basically just describing REs, yeah. The special thing about REs is that they are not dependent on any OS or CPU architecture like other applications or plugins are. They only depend on the main application and their final distribution form can be compiled for any platform that the main application runs on.

Stranger.

12 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Aquila

13 May 2016

raccoonboy wrote:Patent is from 10 months after 6.5 was released. Not sure if this is usual for patents or not. I would have thought you'd apply beforehand.
I think the term Patent Pending is used in situations like this.

• Information