Does anyone pan drums when they are mono? Or do you leave them centered?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mreese80

09 May 2016

I am referring to percussion sounds. Should they only be mono if you want them dead on centered (no stereo sound)? If i plan on panning hats should i just leave them stereo? Some mono sounds like this sound off and are sometimes hard to mix. I'm just wondering how some of you all go about this. My drums and snares are always mono. I usually have percussion stereo so i can pan and space out sounds so they aren't cluttered. There is no right or wrong way to go about this or do you disagree?
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Benedict
Competition Winner

09 May 2016

Mix dependent.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

selig
RE Developer

09 May 2016

Definitely no right or wrong way to do this. But as a general rule I like to "balance" any panned instrument with a similar sound on the opposite side. For example, if I pan hi hat to the left (as I often do, being a drummer myself), I will pan a shaker (if used) or a different hi hat to the right. Sometimes it's cool to do the opposite accent on the parts, e.g. if the hats are emphasizing the up-beats then the shaker will emphasize the down-beats (or vice-versa).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information