Freeze Reverb mode in REASON ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Weazley

09 May 2016

Hello everyone,

i'm tryin' to get the same results as the ableton "freeze" reverb feature on my R8 essentials :essentials: . (where i produce music now)

It so usefull to create some cool drones/pads/textures with audio or MIDI material but i didn't find any way to reproduce this infinite reverb in Reason

:puf_unhappy: ...

Any ideas guys ? :lightbulb:

thanks
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2016-05-09 à 10.35.17.png
Capture d’écran 2016-05-09 à 10.35.17.png (151.92 KiB) Viewed 2501 times

Olivier

09 May 2016

AFAIK Theres no RE or stock reverb that can do this out of the box.
You could opt for building a feedback loop. For drones that's actually my preferred method when I want to use a reverb to build the drone. The benefit of this is that you can change the feedback by processing the signal, which helps the evolving character I'm usually looking for.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Weazley

09 May 2016

:arrow: thanks for your reply.

Do you set it up with the DDL-1 device?

normen

09 May 2016

The Echo can freeze the delay fwiw.

stm.mitchell

09 May 2016

Polar does something similar, doesn't it? I'm not in front of my computer, but I think you can lock the delay buffer and even scroll through it.

selig
RE Developer

09 May 2016

Been using this general effect since the mid 1980s using Lexicon reverbs (especially PCM-70s). Always look for ways to recreate the effect with any hardware or software reverb that comes along.

RV7000 can do this reasonably well with the Hall algorithm, but it won't hold forever - so I sample it! This is what I've always done, but back in the 80s I would print each "freeze" to tape where I could mix/match or even play melodies or create pad chords by playing the faders.

But there are other options. The AD480 specifically comes to mind as a near perfect "freeze" machine. It won't quite have the chorus wobble that Lexicons have, but you can definitely add this with other options to some degree (like adding some NeutronVerb to give it some "life").
:)
{EDIT: keep in mind you'll have to print ANY solution, since the freeze won't be there the next time you load the file. Also note, this actually is an audio loop, so the length you record won't necessarily have to be more than a few seconds long at most - try sampling it if you don't want to loop it in the sequencer.]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Weazley

10 May 2016

Thanks guys ! :)

If i understand, Hall Algorithm + sampling the wet audio is the key, And i have to loop the result cause the reverb decay isn't infinite.

Let's do this ! :thumbs_up:

EDIT: I tried the lock polar function and it's PERFECT, it's exactly what i was looking for (same thing as the ableton device, the sustain is INFINITE).
Thanks to you, i can switch to Reason Without Regrets
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2016-05-10 à 10.52.02.png
Capture d’écran 2016-05-10 à 10.52.02.png (53.59 KiB) Viewed 2429 times

normen

10 May 2016

Weazley

10 May 2016

:lol: :thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

10 May 2016

Weazley wrote:Thanks guys ! :)

If i understand, Hall Algorithm + sampling the wet audio is the key, And i have to loop the result cause the reverb decay isn't infinite.

Let's do this ! :thumbs_up:

EDIT: I tried the lock polar function and it's PERFECT, it's exactly what i was looking for (same thing as the ableton device, the sustain is INFINITE).
Thanks to you, i can switch to Reason Without Regrets
Have you tried feeding the RV7000 into Polar to lock it?
Selig Audio, LLC

Weazley

11 May 2016

Not yet !

What's the difference with feeding the Polar device with a dry sample ?

'cause it gives you an awsome ambient pad already : sooooo smoooth

aha
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2016-05-11 à 18.10.42.png
Capture d’écran 2016-05-11 à 18.10.42.png (60.06 KiB) Viewed 2377 times

selig
RE Developer

11 May 2016

Weazley wrote:Not yet !

What's the difference with feeding the Polar device with a dry sample ?

'cause it gives you an awsome ambient pad already : sooooo smoooth

aha
There are many differences between Polar's freeze and a reverbs freeze. One difference for the reverb is "diffusion". Polar loops the dry signal, whatever it is (with a fairly short buffer size, btw), and won't necessarily work well for sounds that decay (like piano/guitar/drums), at least as far as creating a lush pad-like sound - it's more like a simple "looper".

But a reverb smears the input in time and freezes that 'smeared' signal creating a lush "watercolor" effect with everything running together (no obvious loop point)

So my suggestion was to use the reverb for the "watercolor" effect, and use Polar for the "loop/freeze" effect, basically looping the reverb in real time so you don't have to sample it.

Experiment - maybe you'll find something new!
Selig Audio, LLC

jamiefbolton

11 May 2016

selig wrote:Been using this general effect since the mid 1980s using Lexicon reverbs (especially PCM-70s). Always look for ways to recreate the effect with any hardware or software reverb that comes along.

RV7000 can do this reasonably well with the Hall algorithm, but it won't hold forever - so I sample it! This is what I've always done, but back in the 80s I would print each "freeze" to tape where I could mix/match or even play melodies or create pad chords by playing the faders.

But there are other options. The AD480 specifically comes to mind as a near perfect "freeze" machine. It won't quite have the chorus wobble that Lexicons have, but you can definitely add this with other options to some degree (like adding some NeutronVerb to give it some "life").
{EDIT: keep in mind you'll have to print ANY solution, since the freeze won't be there the next time you load the file. Also note, this actually is an audio loop, so the length you record won't necessarily have to be more than a few seconds long at most - try sampling it if you don't want to loop it in the sequencer.]

Is there a tutorial for sampling? This sounds interesting

selig
RE Developer

11 May 2016

jamiefbolton wrote:
selig wrote:Been using this general effect since the mid 1980s using Lexicon reverbs (especially PCM-70s). Always look for ways to recreate the effect with any hardware or software reverb that comes along.

Is there a tutorial for sampling? This sounds interesting
Don't know how good these are, but here's what I found:

Selig Audio, LLC

jamiefbolton

11 May 2016

Thank you very much

Weazley

12 May 2016

Thnks, I'll experiment it

• Information