How many Reasonusers worldwide?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
michal22

10 May 2016

chk071 wrote:Doesn't make sense to me. "Attract more consumers and developers" assumes that they'd be doing bad, and that Reason is unpopular. Unless there's any indication for that, i wouldn't know why to assume something like that. And they surely won't be able to live from 30% earnings on the rack extensions, no way.
VSTi market is very large. Rack extension in its infancy. For example - I think windows phone 8.1 is a very good (smooth and stable system). Despite this, users do not want it because he lacks applications. There is no applications because there are too few users. Developers do not see a profit. It is a vicious circle.
The situation with the Reason is similar. People complain about the limited number of additives and worse than VST versions. Propellerhead should expand the market, modernize SDK and focus on the DAW. Let the big developers create for us a powerful plugs. For that to happen, a market must be big. If Propellerhead sleeps, it will be in a situation like windows phone.
Besides, one company will never be able to compete in every field of all companies. I think that they did a good job opening on the extension, but should go one step further. I think that 30% of sales, with a large market can be a good profit, but I do not know this, because I do not know the results of the sale of licenses and the number of active users.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

txh003

10 May 2016

I would prefer to know the number of active number of Reason users, but that would be difficult to gather.

Based on my own personal sample of Reason users, which means nothings in regards to the entire Reason population, I do believe that Props has lost a lot of customers over the past few years. I personally knew about 20 people who were active, paid registered users of Reason when I first jumped on board at version 2.5. At this time, only myself and one other individual has an interest in the application, but neither him nor I actively use it anymore.

Furthermore, I am always surprised at how low Reason scores on "What DAW(s) Do You Use?" forum polls over the past two years, which has usually been about 2-3%, based on my experience. Granted, again, statistically the results mean nothing, as there are many flaws in forum polls to make an accurate judgement, but I remember when the figure was around 10% years ago, if I recall correctly.

I honestly think that Props should just give Reason away for free and make their money from RE collections. A larger user base will more than likely attract potential RE developers, which should lead to more sales and income for developers and Props.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

Loque

10 May 2016

txh003 wrote:I would prefer to know the number of active number of Reason users, but that would be difficult to gather.

Based on my own personal sample of Reason users, which means nothings in regards to the entire Reason population, I do believe that Props has lost a lot of customers over the past few years. I personally knew about 20 people who were active, paid registered users of Reason when I first jumped on board at version 2.5. At this time, only myself and one other individual has an interest in the application, but neither him nor I actively use it anymore.

Furthermore, I am always surprised at how low Reason scores on "What DAW(s) Do You Use?" forum polls over the past two years, which has usually been about 2-3%, based on my experience. Granted, again, statistically the results mean nothing, as there are many flaws in forum polls to make an accurate judgement, but I remember when the figure was around 10% years ago, if I recall correctly.

I honestly think that Props should just give Reason away for free and make their money from RE collections. A larger user base will more than likely attract potential RE developers, which should lead to more sales and income for developers and Props.
They should sell Reason for tripple the price to give people the feeling for a premium product. This would create a "i must have" feeling - just like Apple products...
Reason12, Win10

normen

11 May 2016

Loque wrote:They should sell Reason for tripple the price to give people the feeling for a premium product. This would create a "i must have" feeling - just like Apple products...
Given that Logic comes with tens of gigabytes of samples, loads of instruments and effects (many more than Reason) at 150€ some argue that Reason already is sold at a premium price (I don't agree with that though as you already paid for hardware to Apple in the case of Logic).

Yonatan

11 May 2016

I dont think the higher price status works with DAWs. Then u have to be the absolute top of the line and probably combine with exclusive hardware as well. Reason Essentials could be free, to get people into the RE market.

Gulale

11 May 2016

I don't support it to be free by any means. However giving 50% off for Reason and things like that could have been essential. Watch Studio one 2. They have sold it for half a price. I'm sure 90% of the users have updated to 3. That I call give and take. which is awesome. It makes both party happy. If it is expensive, it will be forgotten product. I believe Reason is expensive and also not expensive. If I got to eBay I can buy it for 300 USD that will make it somehow appealing but not exactly cause 200 I can get Logic. At KVR market place I can get Studio one 150. Yes 50% off and things like that are essential.
Gulale aka Bereket

normen

11 May 2016

I mean a few years back (okay maybe a decade) specialty software like this was in the 2000$ range...

chk071

11 May 2016

Reason was marketed right from the beginning as an "affordable" alternative to a multi thousand $ hardware studio. So why would they give up on that now, just to please a premium market, or to give the software away, and make their earnings through a store based system?

Btw, i read more than once that people are sceptical about PH's business, and their money earning, but i saw a sales figure which told the opposite, and showed that they're doing quite well for years now. Sweden is very transparent in that regard. There's a swedish website which shows the business figures of Propellerhead. If in doubt, you can check everything there. There's sometimes a huge gap between things claimed on the net, and how things are in reality. :lol:
:reason: :rebirth:

decibel

16 May 2016

i noticed they have over 85,000 followers on their facebook page, not sure how many of them are there because of reason or because of their phone apps ?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

18 May 2016

SteveDiverse wrote:
The_G wrote: ...and there was a post on the old PUF, when there was a 'glitch' in the software and the number of registered users was dispalyed - and it was over 500,000. But that was forum users, not necessarily users of Reason. (That was approx Reason 6)
That is not a direct thing. I remember that, and i think that was the number of registered users of the site. Mind that anyone could register at the site, even if you were just a curious person about the app, or a pirate who was using reason and wanted the free Refils.

But even registered licenses might not translate into the paying userbase, as a small percentage of licenses might go to NDA's for beta testers who found bugs, press, artists that collaborate with Propellerhead, and lets not forget reason Adapted licenses that were sold with third party hardware.

Anyway, trending and opinion/magazine pols differ a lot, and i've seen polls putting Reason in the top 10 and other putting it in the 14th place in the most used DAWs contest.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

18 May 2016

Gulale wrote:I don't support it to be free by any means. However giving 50% off for Reason and things like that could have been essential. Watch Studio one 2. They have sold it for half a price. I'm sure 90% of the users have updated to 3. That I call give and take. which is awesome. It makes both party happy. If it is expensive, it will be forgotten product. I believe Reason is expensive and also not expensive. If I got to eBay I can buy it for 300 USD that will make it somehow appealing but not exactly cause 200 I can get Logic. At KVR market place I can get Studio one 150. Yes 50% off and things like that are essential.
I've seen Reason being sold at 200-300 usd price range. It wasn't long ago it was around 230 or 240 eur. A nice almost 50% reduction considering it goes 400+ after new releases.

• Information