I still LOVE Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
The_G

02 May 2016

Yes, we all like to complain--about the lack of VST support, about the lack of "professional" REs, about the need for an upgrade to stock synths, etc. But for me at least, and I suspect for many of you, this comes from a place of love.

I've used Cubase, Live and Logic over the years, and each of these DAWs clearly do certain things much better than Reason. But Reason is the program that best facilitates my creativity. And unlike previous versions, Reason 7.0 + really sounds great.

So as a counterpoint to all the complaining we do (and much of it is justified), I thought I'd just start a thread to celebrate all the things Reason does really well.

That is all...
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

bitley

02 May 2016

Tell you what, if Reason 7 stopped working I'd happily go back to Reason 1, 2, 3, 4… on an older computer and I'd not be unhappy at all.

I loved it in 2001, so why wouldn't I love it today?

cosignsessions

02 May 2016

The_G wrote:I've used Cubase, Live and Logic over the years, and each of these DAWs clearly do certain things much better than Reason. But Reason is the program that best facilitates my creativity. And unlike previous versions, Reason 7.0 + really sounds great.
Exactly why I use Reason as my 'Creative' DAW. I can focus in Reason. I can experiment, limitlessly.

Remember, every other DAW out there was so great that new ones keep popping up (I was a PT user for years and switched to Record).

Gulale

02 May 2016

I feel you pain Reason is a great creative tool. Still
Gulale aka Bereket

Yonatan

02 May 2016

Reason is my wife...sometimes we look for greener grass but we always stick together, in joy and support each other.

tibah

02 May 2016

One Reason-love thread a week, eh? ;) Why would we be here if not for the *love*? Love-hate thing maybe sometimes, but still. Even the guys that came to say "I QUIT I NOW GOT PROFRUITYABLEBASEWIGLOGICTOOLSONE" often cry themselves into their sleep, about this simple, sometimes weird music app. ;)

Creativemind

02 May 2016

bitley™ wrote:Tell you what, if Reason 7 stopped working I'd happily go back to Reason 1, 2, 3, 4… on an older computer and I'd not be unhappy at all.

How did you record any audio in versions 1, 2, 3, 4 etc?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

SteveDiverse

02 May 2016

The_G wrote:we all like to complain.
False.
I don't like to complain.
I don't complain.
I have no room for negative energy.
Just sayin'.

Peace.
Last edited by SteveDiverse on 03 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :reload: :record: :ignition: :refill: :re: | :rt: FTW

gak

02 May 2016

Negative energy is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, these are the threads you get when the primary company doesn't do updates. :lol:

zeebot

02 May 2016

Yonatan wrote:Reason is my wife...sometimes we look for greener grass but we always stick together, in joy and support each other.

Reason is my wife too. I look at her rack, flip her around and then start to plug things in.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Wook

03 May 2016

zeebot wrote:
Yonatan wrote:Reason is my wife...sometimes we look for greener grass but we always stick together, in joy and support each other.

Reason is my wife too. I look at her rack, flip her around and then start to plug things in.
That is misogynistic, chauvinistic, sexist, white male privileged, software has the right to have hairy armpits and stink. And since it comes from Sweden, it's gender fluid.

Yonatan

03 May 2016

Sorry for bringing in a bad metaphor! ;)

KEVMOVE02

03 May 2016

The first time I tried Reason 4, I could not believe a DAW could be this easy and still produce broadcast quality music beds and backing tracks. My reliance on Reason as my go to platform for making tracks quickly and on budget has increased with the addition of REs, Soul School and Disco Refills, and the Booster Packs. I've tried other platforms, but I haven't strayed too far (Ableton Live almost won me over. Almost). When asked why, I reply with something my brother said to me: "I think what that program can do sounds awesome, but I'm too deep into XXX XXXX to start learning a new system when I'm making plenty of money with the software I use now." At the time, I wanted to say, "You don't know what you're missing", but I knew his reply would be "I cant miss something I've never seen or used." At the time, I really wanted to find a way to tell him its his loss, but if he's is doing well financially, who am I to tell him he should abandon a reliable tool when the one he has works just fine.

I know most people mean well when they prompt Propellerhead to "catch up" or remind us that Reason is a "pretty solid DAW, so stop hating", but the vast majority of software users are content to use the tools they currently use, as opposed to dealing with all the headaches and loss of productivity caused when menu items get moved, features get removed and new features (that you have no real use for) get added. Simply put, I love Reason because it's what I use.

mreese80

03 May 2016

Can't lie, so do I.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

bitley

03 May 2016

Creativemind wrote:
bitley™ wrote:Tell you what, if Reason 7 stopped working I'd happily go back to Reason 1, 2, 3, 4… on an older computer and I'd not be unhappy at all.

How did you record any audio in versions 1, 2, 3, 4 etc?
I recorded with Audacity & imported it. Often I used ReDrum to trigger vocals. I just reworked a track named 1982 and kept the vocals from 2001. :)

flightONE

04 May 2016

zeebot wrote:

this made me laugh!... :puf_bigsmile:

Kenni
Site Admin

05 May 2016

Wook wrote:
zeebot wrote:

That is misogynistic, chauvinistic, sexist, white male privileged, software has the right to have hairy armpits and stink. And since it comes from Sweden, it's gender fluid.
Haha!

This thread is awesome :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Neko the Jaguar

05 May 2016

When all I used was an mpc and motif rack, everyone I knew told me I would really like Reason. I was not really into software at all so I never bothered with it, until my son took a digital music production class in 7th grade. He loved it, and asked me to buy it for his birthday. We got it for him and he showed me the basics. I have not really used my mpc since. I tried ableton, just doesnt make sense. I was able to figure out Reason immediately. Its just simple and easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fieldframe
RE Developer

07 May 2016

Just last weekend, I had the idea to try making something with only Reason 3-era devices. So I pulled up the Reason France Vol. I refill and went to town...

As great as REs are, and even as much as I'd like to use AUs in Reason without annoying workarounds, I have to agree, Reason got a lot of things right early on. It's still amazing what you can do with a few Subtractors and a Combinator.

All that said, there are some things that would be hard to go back to, not the least of which is the way the rack is laid out. I happened to pull my Reason 3 box off the shelf and realized I'd forgotten that it wasn't until Record that we got more than one rack column! And I think going back to the ReMix after half a decade with the SSL would be a tough sell for me. Even R7's spectrum analyzer would be hard to give up, since I never touch the actual channel EQ knobs anymore.

Whatever the limitations of any version, though, Reason has always been something special. There's no other software that cultivates inspiration for me quite like it.

bitley

07 May 2016

The perfect computer for Reason 1 to 3 is of course the original iMac in mint condition. It can't show more than 1024 pixels in width so it's perfect for that layout :) I have a compromise in my Mac museum, hehe, which is this iMac generation two (blue) with Reason 4. Unfortunately version 4 needs a tad more CPU and would be perfect for a G4 machine. I hope someone nearby puts out the first iMac on an ad someday, complete with the original mouse and keyboard. I'd be first in line, would run MacOS 8 / 9 on it and just Reason, maybe R1 just for the sake of nostalgia. Killer app for such a computer, 9 ms latency on the built in audio, match made in heaven. Even the speakers are cool for a bangin' redrum beat.

The_G

08 May 2016

I loved the ideas in 1.0, and when 2.0 introduced the NN-XT and Maelström--that was great. But the sounds I produced were kinda sh**y compared to what I could do with the hardware I owned back then. When 3.0 introduced the combinator and m-class devices, though...that was something special. That was the point at which I decided to ditch the MPC.

But I don't think I could ever go back to the days before the SSL virtual desk. It's a thing of beauty.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

• Information