if Reason 9 only changed one thing...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

22 Apr 2016

what would be the one single change PH could make to Reason, if they left everything else exactly as-is, that would still get you to upgrade (assuming a normal upgrade price range somewhere in the range of $130-200)?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

WongoTheSane

22 Apr 2016

Sample loading in the SDK.

Stranger.

22 Apr 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 04 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

22 Apr 2016

Stranger. wrote:Promises to include 1 of these...
Test drive optional.
Sample loading is already there.This is not. :thumbs_up:
you mean test drive of Reason 9? that would be pretty cool.

chimp_spanner

22 Apr 2016

A better SDK for rack developers (including sample loading) would probably be the most obvious choice for most people, although in all honesty I have most of what I need already.

For me I'd say...organizational stuff. I know that's boring, but the biggest barrier to me doing bigger, more complicated projects is that I can't put MIDI tracks or devices into folders, or hide things I don't need access to. What'd be really nice is if there was a little edit button for an instrument track which would open a pop-out window of *just* that devices (kinda like opening the UI for a VSTi).

And - I know you asked for one thing but this is a very close second - tempo definition options for imported audio. The current workaround (change the tempo, import, change it back) is so clunky. If I drop a loop into a 150 BPM project that I know is 130 BPM I should just be able to tell Reason what tempo it is and have it work.

Believe it or not they're really the biggest issues for me. Plus a handful of workflow related tweaks.

kuhliloach

22 Apr 2016

I recently watched a YouTube video describing someone's transition from Reason to another platform. The explanation seemed to be wrapped around confusion. He summarized that Reason is difficult to make sound "big" without being a scientist. He then showed his master buss VST plug-in array and tried to make the case that his new DAW made it easier to sound "big" than Reason.

The more seasoned Reason users here can probably feel his pain. While Reason's default settings are just fine there is a new generation that wants things to be easier. Reason is hyped as being "user friendly". I'm not sure I can fully agree with this. It seems the Rack, SSL Emulation, and Master Section are bewildering to most new people who take a look at it. It took me a while to get a grip on the whole thing. This leaves a small crowd of people in the world who truly know how to make Reason sound as big as a typical DAW. The copy protection situation makes it even worse -- thousands of people who would be trying out Reason (and posting YouTube tutorials) have no idea it exists. This means it doesn't even exist at a "street level".

So, my number one request is to make Reason 9's default set-up fatter (RE's) and easier to use (UI) so that it becomes more attractive and competitive upon first launch. This could mean fully disabling / hiding the SSL Mixer by default. Or, perhaps an MK2 MClass limiter that is bigger and more transparent like Ozone. Am I implying people who know nothing should be able to push one button and make their mix automatically huge? Uh, yeah.

Or perhaps a cute little character appears and teaches you about Reason via a built-in tutorial system or assists you as a "mix" wizard character who makes mixing suggestions. This might sound crazy but I believe Reason's two biggest challenges with potential users are Fear and User Interface.

Other fun thoughts include being able to move multiple faders simultaneously, a Zoom-in function for Rack Extensions so I can get up close-up and intimate with RE UI's, and as everyone has mentioned the RE SDK needs more features.

Noplan
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2016

Automatic Latency Compensation

lowpryo

22 Apr 2016

i'm torn between grouping/collapsing mixer channels and "favorites" lists for devices in the browser. but since these are tiny features, can I say both?!

guitfnky

22 Apr 2016

kuhliloach wrote:So, my number one request is to make Reason 9's default set-up fatter (RE's) and easier to use (UI) so that it becomes more attractive and competitive upon first launch. This could mean fully disabling / hiding the SSL Mixer by default. Or, perhaps an MK2 MClass limiter that is bigger and more transparent like Ozone. Am I implying people who know nothing should be able to push one button and make their mix automatically huge? Uh, yeah.
I think people's backgrounds before they try Reason has a lot to do with how comfortable they feel with it. I've been a guitarist for a long time, and interned at a recording studio for a couple of years back before DAWs were really a thing, so I've got a pretty good handle on signal flow. that made Reason super-easy for me to pick up, but I can see how it can be confusing to someone who's just starting out.

being able to push a single button to make your mix sound huge, though? good luck finding that, haha. ;) you've got to know how to use your ears, first and foremost. can't tell you how many mixes I've heard that are technically fine, but have no life or energy to them. I'd rather listen to a muddy mix that's got some kick than a pristine one that's had all the soul sucked out of it. that's not something you can accomplish by just tweaking a single setting.

guitfnky

22 Apr 2016

lowpryo wrote:i'm torn between grouping/collapsing mixer channels and "favorites" lists for devices in the browser. but since these are tiny features, can I say both?!
I'll allow it. ;)

GRIFTY

22 Apr 2016

Full recycle integration/better sample editing capability

Gulale

22 Apr 2016

first Give me darker GUI next PDC. The other stuff can get from other DAWs.
Gulale aka Bereket

Chizmata

22 Apr 2016

if reason would only change the number from 8 to 9 it would be an instant buy for me. other than that, nothing.

Alkua

22 Apr 2016

Upgrade the sequencer

Loque

22 Apr 2016

Editing at least 2 midi tracks at the same time.
Reason12, Win10

Dcook18

22 Apr 2016

GRIFTY wrote:Full recycle integration/better sample editing capability
That would be dope

guitfnky

22 Apr 2016

a darker GUI would be awesome; particularly to be able to switch the SSL to a darker gray.

for me, my one feature is Melodyne-style pitch editing within an audio track. additional functionality within the sequencer, including the ability to view/edit multiple MIDI tracks simultaneously would be amazing too, but that's not crucial for me.

txh003

22 Apr 2016

There is not a single change, in itself, that would encourage me to purchase a Reason 9 upgrade.

In my opinion, Reason 9 needs to make significant strides forward towards being on par with other DAWs, in terms of features and "in-the-box" devices, or else there is no purpose to continue further investments in the said platform.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

ambeant

22 Apr 2016

txh003 wrote:There is not a single change, in itself, that would encourage me to purchase a Reason 9 upgrade.

In my opinion, Reason 9 needs to make significant strides forward towards being on par with other DAWs, in terms of features and "in-the-box" devices, or else there is no purpose to continue further investments in the said platform.

Good point ;) the interesting quirky factor of Reason is long over, its time to face reality and accept the rules of the analog domain vs software correctness

Gorgon

22 Apr 2016

guitfnky wrote:what would be the one single change PH could make to Reason, if they left everything else exactly as-is, that would still get you to upgrade (assuming a normal upgrade price range somewhere in the range of $130-200)?
Reason needs a complete rethinking of the sequencer and I doubt Propellerhead will ever do that. So I don't care really.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

guitfnky

22 Apr 2016

guitfnky wrote:
Stranger. wrote:Promises to include 1 of these...
Test drive optional.
Sample loading is already there.This is not. :thumbs_up:
you mean test drive of Reason 9? that would be pretty cool.
ha, I responded to this from my phone, which for some reason didn't show the picture. yeah, I'd buy a couple of licenses if they threw that in, haha!

Stranger.

22 Apr 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 04 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

plaamook

22 Apr 2016

Stranger. wrote:...Sample loading is already there.This is not. :thumbs_up:
Not really. You can get thing's with contained samples but that's weak next to actual samplers, which I think is what we're all waiting for.

Then everyone can stop batch about Kong this and NNXT that cause there will be shit shit shit loads of different samplers to choose from. I can't wait. Or I guess I can actually but I'm tired of waiting for that.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

22 Apr 2016

Gorgon wrote:Reason needs a complete rethinking of the sequencer and I doubt Propellerhead will ever do that. So I don't care really.
Nah, they'll do it. They've already done it twice that I've been around for since R3. I think it's got to be a piority for them at this point. All the existing editing capabilities are complete crap.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information